Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Ive started!

Put the pistons in just now. Such a bugger of a job, i mixed them up but luckily caught myself with only 1 in. Pics on the phone. Ill prolly get some more done this arvo. Weather is HORRIBLE here atm so no pulsar service til the weekend.
    The Datto will rage again...

Did you use plenty of oil when assembling them and installing them. Also get some normal vaseline from a autoshop and use liberally on the bearings, camshafts etc. It helps with the first start up and helps build oil pressure on the first start. Awaiting pics

Cheers
    John
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Yeh man! I was one super lubed up guy yesterday! Im planning to get some stuff for the cam on the first run.

So as for my update:

I had a day off yesterday. I call it a "mental health day" as I was going insane from doing NOTHING whilst something is fixed that prevents me from working. So i got stuck into my engine

When we left our hero he had finished re-installing the crank! So I got to putting the pistons in and this has seriously been the biggest C U Next Tuesday in the whole process so far. Basically you need 4 hands.

One to hold the con rod
    One to slip the ring compressor over the piston
    One to tighten the compressor
    One to stabilise during the whole process

So i managed with two hands coz im awesome.

Note to self - Buy 14mm socket to tighten con rod bolts.

So then the next step is head on, noticed a big tag on my head from the workshop saying "FINAL CLEAN NOT DONE" I thought best to inspect closely and sure enough, under the open valves were lovely metal shavings... that wouldve gone well in my bores! With all that crap removed and everthing shiny clean with a metho polish, head gasket on, then the head itself.
    TA DA!

Threaded in the head bolts but again note to self - buy 14mm hex socket to tighten head bolts.

Next step, timing chain. Ive already timed the cam so that cylinder one is matched to the power stroke. Should be OK to just fit the chain, do a final check and its all OK. So I put the chain on, the guides on the chain tensioner... **** **** ****!!!! Sheared one of the chain tensioner bolts.

So until i figure out how to get that sucker out and find a replacement bolt... im stuck. So im thinking this weekend might be a good time to start pulling the Stanzas motor out. Mums given me the OK to use a carport space
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lookin good so far man!
    A method we use to get sheared bolts like that out is take a nut and hold it up to the broken bolt, and fill the nut with weld so it welds the nut to the broken bolt. Then just take a ratchet or wrench to take the bolt out, do it while it is still hot because it helps with removing it.
    We usually use transmission fluid to lubricate the pistons before putting them in. Take a coffee container filled halfway with tranny fluid, then dip the piston in. The fluid tends to cling to the metal so it doesn't run off quickly while putting it in.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

So ive been told but I dont have a welder. Been looking around and something i might try is to put a slit in the end of it (hacksaw or the like) and try and screw it out. Doubt ill get enough torque on it though.

I cut a 2L plastic bottle in half and 1/3 filled with engine oil and dunked em in that.
    Last edited by Blue Supra; 07-01-2008 at 07:31 PM.

Blue i was thinking you have been too one of them places after reading your first few words..

You got the dual row timing chain or was it like that?.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

yeh sounds a bit funny.

Yeh standard timing chain is double row.

Its well and truely stuck, i cant get a screw driver on it. not enough hanging out for vice grips.... nut weld itll have to be

So ive discovered I mis measured my head bolts and they ARE a 10mil allen socket not a 14mil. Idiot. Also have someone from the datto club coming over to try and get this stud out for me via ezyout or weld.

So i did a tidy up of the garage as there was crap everywhere, old rings, bearings, empty degreaser cans and crap. Tried to find my allen key set and cant, went to magnet mart, not spending 10 bucks on allen keys when i have 3 sets around somewhere!

I also painted my rocker cover, same as the sump. Looks pretty good

Im such a nonse, i just spent 20 mins trying to figure out why the oil pump spindle wouldnt go through the front cover and realised i was putting it in backwards

At a stuck point now. I cant really progress much further until this bolts out.

STUPID BOLT GAH!!!

tried putting a slit in it and unscrewing, tried an EZout and SNAPPED IT! OMG! they really are 10x harder then any drill bit. So tried to weld a nut on and they just kept snapping off...

So ive called a pro and been quoted $66 minimum to get it out

Sounds like you been working too hard mate, 10min power nap and all will be great, Or hammer time My secret weapon..
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Sortof got stuck into the Stanza on the weekend, catching up on sleep from nightshift and buying my bros 1st car took precedence...

anyways, got all the minor bits done, rolled it down to the carport and jacked it up. got the wring loom undone (all 8 plugs ) and the carby manifold off. Such a PRICK to get to all the bolts. Quite of a lot of (expected) wear in most of the hoses and lines so they all need replacing (joy! ) more to be done tonight and tomorrow though. Want the motor out by Friday night.

On the sheared bolt, i have to take the head off and transport it to a mates place to carbide drill it out and then helicoil it to 6mm. Painful but neccesary

Also bros new car is a 92 Mazda 323 Astina. He loves it

those astina's are pretty agile. reliable too
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I think you need a torque wrench you rough barstard. Good on your bro getting a car BP18t engines fit in them
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Thread Information