Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Racing Moment

Favourite Racing Moment

I was wondering what is you guys personal favourite racing moment? I have a few and may chime in later.

Feel free to add funny moments, sad moments, and other memorable moments in your race-watching career as well, I, and likely others, are probably interested to hear them.

EDIT: Feel free to include several!
    Last edited by Kitdy; 05-30-2008 at 10:37 PM.

One of the best racing moments ever is the charge of Juan Manuel Fangio in his Maserati 250F in the 1957 German GP after his pit stop.

Epic.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    One of the best racing moments ever is the charge of Juan Manuel Fangio in his Maserati 250F in the 1957 German GP after his pit stop.

Epic.
    Further elaborate.

Is this one of your favourite moments? If so, I find it odd, as it is hard to encapsulate the emotion by reading, I find you have to watch it, and preferably, watch it live.

Mine dates even further back than Ferrer's, and I don't see its loss by the lack of live vision.

Birkin's pass on Caracciola at Le Mans
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Only one I can think of right now is the Audi R8 complete rear end change in 4 minutes at Le Mans 2001 (?)

datsun 510 overtaking an Rx-3 whilst on two wheels in IPR at morgan park.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    Only one I can think of right now is the Audi R8 complete rear end change in 4 minutes at Le Mans 2001 (?)
    thats up there for me also, however the 1999 Le Mans gets me going...

the Merc's performing test flights and the Toyota's self imploding (again)

Peter Dumbreck flipping the #5 AMG on the way down to Indinaplous (wow i cant spell )

YouTube - Le Mans 1999 - Race Part 3/6 Mercedes CLR Onboard and Crash

you have to sit and watch this as its 10 minutes long but its a great vid, shows the lap leading up to the crash and shows just how good these cars were... sounds amazing

and the toyota... yet again failing to do what it should have done, that is win naturally

YouTube - Le Mans 99' Night Session TOYOTA GT-ONE Crash 1/2
    Last edited by KFA-R; 05-31-2008 at 01:39 AM. Reason: incorrect info
    "No sir you may not eat my hat"

KFA-R #88 OZYROCKET

Hakkinen vs Schumacher at Spa-Francorchamps 2000.
    YouTube - Mika Hakkinen vs Michael Schumacher - Spa Francorchamps

When the armatures on the Apexspeed forum all pulled together to help a really great guy/back marker make it to the Runoffs at Mid-Ohio.

The forum member, Purple Frog, had been maintaining a long running post about his efforts to make it to the Runoffs (SCCA amateur national championship race). During a practice race his car is hit and is unrepairable (not his fault, +one for the HANS device). The who forum thinks it's such a tragedy that such a great guy doesn't get to race that they all pull together to help him out. One member drives a spare car from Chicago to Ohio (about 6 hours) drops it off and says good luck. Other members pledge the money to insure the car if it gets damaged. Yet others help with technical support, replacement equipment, even a free helmet and purple fire suit!

During the race the car has some loss of power and he ends up fairly far back in the pack. Hey, he got to run. So on the cool down lap he comes around to see a whole hill side of spectators waving! After looking around for the race winners he realized they were cheering for him simply because they knew he went through and how many people joined together to help him make one of the greatest racing events in the world.

This truly is what makes amateur racing great. Not high dollar F1 snobbery but real people doing it only for the love of racing. I started to think of stories from Indy (and there are many great ones!) but decided this was truly the best.

The Road to the Runoffs - ApexSpeed
    Long but truly a great read!

At the awards ceremony they give several awards including the best spirt award. Normally that award is bestowed on a driver but this year it was given to the members of the Apexspeed forum who helped out.

From what I've seen my favourite moment is a move by Hakkinen that led to his second title. IIRC, it was 1999 Suzuka race - Irvine was running before him, but then they've reached Zonta and Mika overtook both with his right wheels running almost on a grass. Couldn't find a video, though.

Besides, many Schumacher - Montoya battles could be mentioned.

EDIT: Problems with my memory The move I was talking about was exactly a 2000 Spa pass with Hakkinen, Schumacher and Zonta involved, watch ErWin76's link. Strange, cause all these years I remembered it as a 1999 Suzuka with Hakkinen - Irvine...
    Last edited by faksta; 05-31-2008 at 10:25 AM.

Last edited by ringle; 05-31-2008 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ringle View Post
    I truly miss the glory days of Indy! I love the sound of the old turbo motors and back in that era the Indy cars were not playing second fiddle to F1 cars as they are today.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Further elaborate.

Is this one of your favourite moments? If so, I find it odd, as it is hard to encapsulate the emotion by reading, I find you have to watch it, and preferably, watch it live.
    As Cyco said you don't need videos or having been there. Just read some reports or articles about the race, see some pictures from it and let your imagination run wild with the man, the car, the track, the legend.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    As Cyco said you don't need videos or having been there. Just read some reports or articles about the race, see some pictures from it and let your imagination run wild with the man, the car, the track, the legend.
    Yep, if you can feel your adrenaline pumping by just reading an article about an old racing event, you know it must have been one hell of an event. Of course seeing it live would have been better, but we're pretty much all youngsters here, except for one or two white-headed folks!

Not talking about you, Pieter, of course...
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Thread Information