Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Gear 2008

Have you ever driven one, or seen one?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I know old geezers like you drive them. They are thusly uncool.

Let's just say that I know enough enough about Citroen to know that I am not at all interested in any of their offerings. I also know enough about them to know that "driving fun" was not one of their major design goals.

God, it hurts me to say this, but I think Chevys are more exciting.

A Cobalt SS will get all the ladies as badda well knows - the ultimate in panty dropping tarted up econobox technology.

This really kills me though - I think I'd rather a Pontiac over a Citroen.

At least I can have fun throwing around a G8 whilst paying half the price for gas that your typical Citroen driver pays.
    a very thorough judgement indeed.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    He is only bothered about 0-60 times and skid pan figures. So he can't appreciate a Citroen or a Lancia or a...

By the way, I want James May to do more reviews and not that Top Gear stuntman nonsense.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Have you ever driven one, or seen one?
    Nope, there are many cars I have made judgements on that I have never driven or seen. You have too. So does basically everyone on this site. What is your point? Citroen does not make sports cars or sporty cars - these are the cars that excite me and I consider fun to drive.

Maybe your definition of exciting differs from mine.

Nonetheless, I think calling a Citroen "exciting" is a misuse of the word. An F430 is exciting, a Dodge Charger is exciting, an Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale is exciting. A Citroen is not exciting.

I thought you'd like it - I tried to add some humour in as well just to make your day.

But in all honesty, I don't like the way the look, I don't find them interesting, and I don't think they are as fun to drive as the cars I am interested in.

Is that so bad?

What is your point? Citroen does not make sports cars or sporty cars
    does the name Seb Loeb ring a bell?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    He is only bothered about 0-60 times and skid pan figures. So he can't appreciate a Citroen or a Lancia or a...
    No, that's not entirely true. If I was only concerned with 0-60 times and skid pad figures, I would hardly like American muscle or 944s or 327 Vettes but I do. The main thing I want in a car is this: for it to be exciting. No Citroen has ever excited me, however, you saying that to me about Lancia is not true at all.

Lancia has made some bomb-ass diggity cars and some shit that is fun to drive and race derived - this is good. The Stratos, Delta Integrale, LC1, LC2 (outpaced the mighty 956), the 037 - an absolutely gorgeous car. The beautifully harsh V4 enigne sound in the Fulvia, the D50 that Ferrari adopted as their own car - no Lancia was sick. Now what cars of that ilk do they have? None. They are not like they used to be however.

So yes, I can appreciate a Lancia, I can even appreciate a Citroen for what it is, but what it is is not what I want.

As an aside, I have seen pictures of a street 037 - were they for sale to the public?

As an aside, I have seen pictures of a street 037 - were they for sale to the public?
    ah, you KNOW what you are talking about....

The main thing I want in a car is this: for it to be exciting. No Citroen has ever excited me
    where were you when the Saxo VTR or the AX GTI were some of the hottest hatches around?

does the name Seb Loeb ring a bell?
    Yeah it appears as though I was wrong, Citroen does have at least 1 current sporty car, the top spec petrol C4 with 174 hp.

But it is also front wheel drive, has not the same heritage/performance of it's WRC road car rivals such as the Imprezza or (formerly Lancer) or upcoming RS Focus.

I also previously stated I am not really interested in hotted-up econoboxes/hot hatches except for exemplary cases like the R32 or Lancer/Imprezza which are regarded as the best, not the C4.

EDIT:
    where were you when the Saxo VTR or the AX GTI were some of the hottest hatches around?
    I must admit I was not aware of those cars, but see above, hot hatches aren't that special to me, and I have investigated those cars and find them not good looking and not fast enough for my needs.

I hope you can forgive me for not being intimate with limited run models of a car from a company I am not interested in that makes cars that are not sold here.

A Saxo VTR or AX GTI also fail to excite me - though they would probably be pretty nimble.
    Last edited by Kitdy; 06-30-2008 at 12:56 AM.

Y
    I hope you can forgive me for not being intimate with limited run models of a car from a company I am not interested in that makes cars that are not sold here.
    and yet you pass on judgements about the "coolness" of these cars....quite immature I would say.

Are you even a car enthusiast?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

and yet you pass on judgements about the "coolness" of these cars....quite immature I would say.
    Quite immature? I don't have to know much about Citroens to know they are uncool. I think, especially in North America - my frame of reference - were you to ask nearly anyone "Are Citroens cool?" you would find they think not. I would even think the same in Europe.

I mean I don't know a lot about polka, but polka ain't cool.

How do you feel about a public UCP vote about whether Citroens are cool? What even is cool? It differs form person to person, but in this case, I think we are talking about a collective cool, and Citroens are not that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Are you even a car enthusiast?
    Who me? Yes.

Why would you ask that? Because I don't know a lot about Citroens? I am sure there are many others here that don't know a lot about Citroens especially those in North America.

I may well not know about cars that I don't like, but that doesn't not make me an enthusiast.

What's your beef with me anyways? I have answered myself clearly before and I think I am being pretty rational.

Quite immature?
    yes, immature, because you pass judgement on things of which you admit you are not interested in and don't know much about. I don't care whether that happens to be Citroens or Lancias or Maseratis, or the south australian tigersnake, it is just immature.

yes, immature, because you pass judgement on things of which you admit you are not interested in and don't know much about. I don't care whether that happens to be Citroens or Lancias or Maseratis, or the south australian tigersnake, it is just immature.
    In this instance, I think my judgement is acceptable. I consider the main determining factor in automotive coolness looks. I have seen modern Citroens before and can thus pass judgement. Similarly, I have seen modern Astons and can pass judgement. I would also not consider this immature if anything it is being ignorant, but as I said, this is based on looks and I know what Citroens look like, and furthermore, I know their rep - family cars and superminis and the like.

As for immaturity, if I am immature then what does then I suppose you are as well then my dear friend. How many times have you resorted to name calling people like Fleet, calling them idiots or stupid? Is this adult behaviour? Calling names? Is this gradeschool? You will notice I don't conduct myself in this manner, only calling either you or Matra "old" only for comedic effect - you call Fleet and others to inflict harm or out of frustration - displaying a lack of control of emotions - a problem children have.

So I may be immature, but you are older than I am and you are immature as well. Let's all go to the playground and have some fun Pieter, you can go on the swing, and me on the slide.

Fell free to ignore this message - immaturely - instead of addressing it in an adult-like fashion.

great way to ruin a thread about TOPGEAR guyS
    Driver for Ultimatecarpage.competition
    Team Manager of Ultimatecarpage.competition

NGT Champion ZAC2 League
    Team Champion ZAC2 League
    NGT Champion ZAC3 League
    Team Champion ZAC3 League

Thread Information