Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nissan GTR wins another Car and Driver review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Nissan GTR wins another Car and Driver review

But looses badly to the Viper ACR. Nissan GTR has another piss poor showing in the quarter mile. Also this puts into question how Car and Driver only managed a 2.01 around Buttonwillow when Road and Track achieved a 1:56.9. It seems like the early Nissan cars had far better performance, were the early ones ringers?

Car and Driver August Issue test

Track times from Buttonwillow Raceway Park, Configuration No. 13
    2.7 miles.

Z06 2:01.7 @79.9 MPH
    Viper ACR 1:55.7 @84.0 MPH
    GTR 2:01.1 @80.3 MPH
    GT2 1:59.7 @81.2 MPH

Z06 : 0-60 3.8, 1/4 11.9 @124
    Viper : 0-60 3.4, 1/4 11.8 @126
    GT2 : 0-60 3.7, 1/4 11.8 @121
    GTR 01-60 4.1 1/4 12.6@111MPH.

Overall

GTR 203
    GT2 194pts.
    Viper ACR 185
    Z06 177 pts.
    "As I walk through the valley of rice I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me and the enemy is fat."

I have a question.

Do we have to have a thread for every little thing concerning this Datsun?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

So a 4-seater 4wd excellent value for money V6 GT car gets beaten around a race track by a much lighter weight, stripped out, track-prepped V10 sports car.

Sorry, you're going to have to help me out here...where's the story?
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    The car isn't gods gift to cars, like some people try to push.

It is interesting though, that when it loses, it's 'so? These cars don't compare' and when it wins, its 'this car is so much better than everything!'

Selective comparisons ftl.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

sigh...another thread for MonaroCountry to tell us how Nissan cheats/sucks.

edit - Maybe the test fleet of GT-Rs don't do as well because they've been abused by all the magazines? I mean quite a few have done high-rpm quarter-mile shenanigans and hot laps; even the strongest equipment would break under those conditions.
    Last edited by kingofthering; 06-22-2008 at 04:30 PM.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Great?
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    sigh...another thread for MonaroCountry to tell us how Nissan cheats/sucks.

edit - Maybe the test fleet of GT-Rs don't do as well because they've been abused by all the magazines? I mean quite a few have done high-rpm quarter-mile shenanigans and hot laps; even the strongest equipment would break under those conditions.

Just accept that Nissan hasn't been totally honest, some of the numbers they have come out with were too good to be true. It seems that as more and more people get their hands on the GTR (not the early versions) the worse their numbers get. In keeping with traditions, I call that these early versions were ringers.

Also you better get used to hearing more negative news from me concerning the GTR. Afterall fanbois were more than happy to proclaim the GTR as the best and greatest and flooding the internet.

Finally if your abuse theory was true, should one question the reliability of the GTR?
    "As I walk through the valley of rice I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me and the enemy is fat."

Quote Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
    Just accept that Nissan hasn't been totally honest, some of the numbers they have come out with were too good to be true. It seems that as more and more people get their hands on the GTR (not the early versions) the worse their numbers get. In keeping with traditions, I call that these early versions were ringers.

Also you better get used to hearing more negative news from me concerning the GTR. Afterall fanbois were more than happy to proclaim the GTR as the best and greatest and flooding the internet.

Finally if your abuse theory was true, should one question the reliability of the GTR?
    Well, I'll give you the 1/2 of the 1st point, but a lot of magazines I've read have said that they haven't treated the GT-R very nicely. Assuming that Nissan keeps the same set of press cars, I'm pretty sure that some chinks would appear in the armor.

After all, I'm pretty sure that all vehicles, even a Corvette would show some sign of wear-and-tear after countless abuse.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Different magazines get different results All. The. Time.

Things that can differ and affect the outcome:
    Track temp, ambient temp, humidity, wind, time of the year, driver skill, driver experience, driver preferences, car history, car mileage, car service history, how the car was run in, manufacturing tolerances, tyre condition and on and on and on. What's more important and useful from a review of a car is how the car went about posting it's time. Is it easy to get that time, was it driven right to it's limit, is it able to be driven consistently at it's limit, does it over or understeer, good powerdown or bad etc etc etc.

Who's to say the Z06, Viper and GT2 weren't "ringers"?

And your reverse fanboyism is better how?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Wouldn't that apply to the other cars as well...
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I haven't seen the words, but from the points scoring it is obvious that the Nissan and the Porsche "thrashed" the American competition.....of course US journos are utterly pro European/asian...or anti american
    Last edited by henk4; 06-23-2008 at 12:43 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Your point... that you've made many times already?

We know it's not the most awesome-est car by your standards already.

Some people will like it a lot, some won't. Just drop the subject already.

Besides, it lost in a comparison between the 911 Turbo, M3 and itself. Same magazine too.

Did the GT-R have it's 112MPH limiter removed? After looking at this review I reached for the evo mag that had a similar comparison between the Z06 and GT-R. They didn't do quarter-mile drags since they knew it would hit it's limiter before it got to the finishing post.
    "Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb!"
    "Life is short, drive fast!" - Lamborghini
    "How's that for a slice of fried gold?"
    "I'll take the case!" - Harvey Birdman

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    Did the GT-R have it's 112MPH limiter removed? After looking at this review I reached for the evo mag that had a similar comparison between the Z06 and GT-R. They didn't do quarter-mile drags since they knew it would hit it's limiter before it got to the finishing post.
    Apparently these are American spec GTR's, apart from the very first couple of early reviews the GTR including the one raced in OLA has only achieved a 111-118mph quarter mile trap and a very high 11 and mid 12 time.

The EVO GTR was shipped privately from Japan to the UK.

How about the driver.....who drove the car this time around? R&T's test had Steve Millen(who have Le Mans class win and 24 hours of Daytona victory, just to name a few)....

Anywho, I always find it fascinating about the GTR being a 1740kg car running on Runflats can be compared in any of these reviews at all, especially one with cars with DOT-legal slicks and made for club racing....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information