Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ups and downs of an N13 Pulsar?

The ups and downs of an N13 Pulsar?

So I'm looking at purchasing myself one of these, as a first car. It has 289,000 kms, which is a bit much, but it's at the right price, looks to be in good condition, has a 5 speed manual, etc.
    My main issue is the engine. The car salesman guy was pretty sure it'd go forever, up to 500,000kms, but he's paid to say it, so I decided to seek further advice. Should I be worried about this amount of kms?

Are there any other faults I should be wary of? From what I know they're a pretty reliable car, there aren't a lot of cars I'd even consider at this kind of mileage.
    All about the t-tops

Ive got an N13 Vector thats just ticked over 200K and its still going reasonably strong.

I'd probably avoid a dealership though. What are they charging?
    I am the Stig

Way. WAHAY too many KM to be taken on by a Dealership without you being overcharged.

You'd be better looking privately. From experience get the suspension looked at (sister had an Astra Hatch of similar Vintage/Same model type) but other than that.....
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Get it checked out by a company that makes sure it hasn't been in a crash and what will need changing, like the NRMA used to do.

If you can find one with less milage for the same price that would be good but dont write this off until its been looked over.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    Ive got an N13 Vector thats just ticked over 200K and its still going reasonably strong.

I'd probably avoid a dealership though. What are they charging?
    $2,450. From a dealership.
    All about the t-tops

Seems a bit hefty for such high km's, but the prices here are a little cheaper because of Jap imports so I don't know if thats alright for Australia.

Random suggestion; for something different why not consider this 'luxury sports coupe' for a cheap 1st car?

It is a 1973 R15 TS 4 speed manual with 1565 cc engine

Retrimmed Feugo seats with matching rear seat trim make a great interior, with Pioneer 4 way removable face stereo, 2-way 6in set into rear shelf and twin 4in 2-way set into the front console

This car has been rebuilt over the years
    The interior, engine, clutch, gearbox and windscreen was all done 4 years ago to get a RWC. Then over the years new shockers, driveshafts, brake master, rotors and most things that normally go have all been changed.

It rides on new Turanza ER592 175/70/13 tyres on R18 Alloy rims

The colour is Lime green of course the classic 1970's look that Ford have recently taken up on their XR8s.

The car is registered and is a daily driver

All yours for $1115 ONO
    Come and have a drive!!

Make an offer!!
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/att...0&d=1212890553
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/att...1&d=1212890553
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/att...2&d=1212890553
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/att...3&d=1212890553

Can't link you directly, but you can find the ad @ aussiefrogs in page 3 of 'cars for Sale' under R15 TS manual For Sale Alias Kermit

Looks pretty nifty imo, especially at that price. More fun than a Pulsar and I reckon you could drive it away for well under a grand

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING View Post
    $2,450. From a dealership.
    From a dealership thats pretty cheap (plenty of $3K+ N13's advertised on the net) but i'd assume its been knocked down a bit because of the mileage. Look at private sales though, i picked up mine for $1500 with 167K's and it was advertised at $1650.

Any other questions, i'm happy to answer as well.
    I am the Stig

I'll hop into the trading post, look at some private buyers. Sounds like a good idea. I'd really like to be very sure my car isn't about to explode on me due to the kms. It does have RWC and a couple of month's rego.

nota, I don't really want a car that old. Or wierd lookin'. At all. Even if it is in good condition
    All about the t-tops

at that many kays, id knock him down $1000.

heaps of private N13s with 250k on them privately for 2k.
    The Datto will rage again...

I had one for about five years with ca16de engine. took it from 200 to 285 ks. dunno if it had cambelt done at 200k not by me anway. alternator died. plastic radiator tank cracked. replaced two thermostats. electric window regulators frayed. headlight dip switch and engine temp sensor harness corroded occasionally simple clean to fix.

pulsar forums, zxoc and nissanexa.com are good for advice diy repairs.

theres a dealership in penrith with an orange (resprayed) N13 pulsar with a few goodies also 150,xxx kays - for two grand flat. I'd avoid your original posted one like the plague..
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Just because a car has high miles on it doesnt mean its a bad car guys, my falcon has 287000 on it and it always does long runs instead of stop start driving, has mobil 1 in its guts every 5k and is well maintained... Pulsars on the other hand, hmmmf well.... I have an ET turbo N12, its done 2 head gaskets, cracked a head... list goes on. Maybe N13's are better?
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

they go really well

with this fitted
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    they go really well

with this fitted
    Me.Want.Now.

TIK, is it specifically an N13 youre after or did this one just pop up? Yeah theyre a good car, but what are you mainly after?
    I am the Stig

Thread Information