Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic (affordable) cars

Classic (affordable) cars

I might have a chance to sell my car for a reasonably good price. Not that the budget really matters because I'm curious on your opinions too. So i wanna know if you had some extra cash laying around, what kind of car would you buy that would stand out? for instance, and old jaguar or E30. Anything semi rare or just cool looking. Or maybe something with some heritage. It doesn't really matter how much, I'm just curious.

i have a friend with an old mazda 323 (the RWD one) with an SR20 in it. not sure if it stands out like you want, but it does 12 sec 1/4 mile runs. clean car and he did it ona tight budget, maybe a retro-tech conversion of some kind could be within your price range?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I have an 88 E30 M3 and a 71 2002tii. Both are really good and fun cars. I wouldn't really count E30s as classics but the 2002 is really fun and gets you a lot of respect from older folks and almost every BMW fanatic. I would reccomend a 2002 or maybe a Datsun 510. Good luck!
    " Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
    - Earnest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by TehRacer View Post
    I have an 88 E30 M3 and a 71 2002tii. Both are really good and fun cars. I wouldn't really count E30s as classics but the 2002 is really fun and gets you a lot of respect from older folks and almost every BMW fanatic. I would reccomend a 2002 or maybe a Datsun 510. Good luck!
    do you the guy in Monterey that has the Abarth 1000 OTR? We saw it parked at the Starbucks cafe near the airport, on the way out to the track.
    And yes a 2002 (or any 02 series would be a lot of fun to drive.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    i have a friend with an old mazda 323 (the RWD one) with an SR20 in it. not sure if it stands out like you want, but it does 12 sec 1/4 mile runs. clean car and he did it ona tight budget, maybe a retro-tech conversion of some kind could be within your price range?
    12 second 1/4's? thats impressive. is that with or without modifications?

BMW E30.
    Or an Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV6

But I think if I got any affordable classic, it would have to be an Audi urQuattro

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    BMW E30.
    Or an Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV6

But I think if I got any affordable classic, it would have to be an Audi urQuattro

urQuattro? is that different than a Quattro? i sound like a noob

Quote Originally Posted by 70cuda88 View Post
    urQuattro? is that different than a Quattro? i sound like a noob
    Here's what wiki says: (explains better than I could )

Officially, the model name of the car was simply "Quattro".

The word "quattro" is used to refer to either the Audi 4WD system, or any 4WD version of an Audi automobile. To avoid confusion, this car is also commonly referred to as the Ur-Quattro (the "Ur-" prefix is a German augmentative used, in this case, to mean "original" and is also applied to the first generation, straight five cylinder engined Audi S4 and Audi S6, as in "Ur-S4" and "Ur-S6").

oh i see. the "Ur" confused me, thanks for clearing that up

This isnt classic, or probably even close a car you are looking for, and I cant wait to here the responses on here...But I went to a Dodge Drag Fest some years ago, and these guys were racing these Little Ugly Dodge Omni's down the 1/4 mile at some ridiculously fast times...There was like a whole group of these guys dedicated to the Omni's....It suprised me, especially some of the cars I thought were way faster got embarassed by the quick Omni's....

...Plus its the ultimate sleeper, and it would be so fun to pull up to a stoplight against some guy(in his daddy's car) and just send him home crying...
    Oo____oO GT-R

Mods definitely - the engine is different he said - that car would by my estimation be extraordinarily slow with it's base power plant.

Quote Originally Posted by CamNismo View Post
    This isnt classic, or probably even close a car you are looking for, and I cant wait to here the responses on here...But I went to a Dodge Drag Fest some years ago, and these guys were racing these Little Ugly Dodge Omni's down the 1/4 mile at some ridiculously fast times...There was like a whole group of these guys dedicated to the Omni's....It suprised me, especially some of the cars I thought were way faster got embarassed by the quick Omni's....

...Plus its the ultimate sleeper, and it would be so fun to pull up to a stoplight against some guy(in his daddy's car) and just send him home crying...
    Not a Nissan CamNismo? I am shocked!

I woulda figured you'd go for a gorgeous 240Z - back when Nissan had a cool name - Datsun. The 240Z is 1 of 2 Nissans off the top of my head that I think look sweet, the other being the Skyline R34.

Porsche 911 and a hefty life insurance policy.

No?

Acura Integra Type-R or a Lancia Delta Integrale Evo. (about 20k USD in Japan in 2005.)
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Mods definitely - the engine is different he said - that car would by my estimation be extraordinarily slow with it's base power plant.
    i think he meant for the SR20? in which case yes; the usual intake/exhaust/ecu.
    also 13B's can be installed quite easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Porsche 911 and a hefty life insurance policy.
    x2
    maybe an 80's 3.2 carrera.
    Last edited by clutch-monkey; 09-07-2008 at 12:52 AM.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Lancia Fulvia Coupe.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I might have a chance to sell my car for a reasonably good price. Not that the budget really matters because I'm curious on your opinions too. So i wanna know if you had some extra cash laying around, what kind of car would you buy that would stand out? for instance, and old jaguar or E30. Anything semi rare or just cool looking. Or maybe something with some heritage. It doesn't really matter how much, I'm just curious.
    With no specific budget there's plenty to nominate so why not start with a cheap-ish Italian supercar? ATM there's a very tidy example advertised locally which has caught my eye, priced similar to a new 'luxury spec' Corolla etc, but less afflicted by future depreciation

A rare Iso Rivolta Lele Supercar!

Thread Information