Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My old memory!! car for free

Quote Originally Posted by willysjeep View Post
    Hi Guys,
    The process to rebuild this oldtimer are about to start....some questions came up and i need your input.
    The chrome and ally work on the car is faded and not shiney anymore.I dont think it needs rechroming, only a bit of TLC. What do i use? My neighbour suggests a fine steelwool and burnishing compound, but will that do the trick.?? i'm worried about fine scratches or a dull finish afterwards.
    How do i polish the ally strips to a nice glitter??

I will post pix on the condition later
    For chromework I use a metal polish called Autosol which comes in a toothpaste-like tube and even resembles an oily toothpaste. It works ok. If you cant find Autosol there are many similar products. Or failing that just use toothpaste!

Just remember to tape mask over adjacent paintwork and especially any rubber gaskets, which are porous and easily stained. These stains are hell to remove. Btw the grille is also quite easy to remove

However the anodised aluminium trim around the windows is much more problematic. Once the oxidization (cloudiness) has occurred, the coating has gone, and unless the trim is completely stripped back and re-coated there is not much that can be done to restore a truly OE finish

Apparently this mob below (patented process) have done fantastic work on W108 trim, but other platers have produced shit results

Electromold the most experienced surface coatings and metal processing in the Southern Hemisphere

Failing this if you're dedicated, you could tenderly use a 'deburring wheel' to remove the coating and then labouriously buff, which gets a super-shiny finish but also tends to highlight any scratches. To reseal, periodically coat with Incralac

This stuff might be worth investigating? Apparently very good for billet aluminium (heat resistant too) but dunno regards thin trim

::: Z O O P S Products, Inc. - ZoopSeal :::

Or use a soft buffing compound with some 0000 steel wool, then the Incralac

Or let sleeping dogs lie, as they say, and resort to regular car wax as a form of 'damage control'

Btw for the paintwork I studiously avoid using any polish or wax that contains silicone or polymers, avoid them like the plague imo. And keep your interior plastics away from Armourall! Try '303 aerospace protectant' (no silicone!) or, believe it or not, plain old vaseline
    Last edited by nota; 10-12-2008 at 05:18 PM.

Gee Thanx nota, this helps a lot....my only problem now is to find all this stuff in Africa. Will post pix on the outcome of this
    I'm just an oldhustler trapped in a hotrodders world
    I have been doing so much with so little for so long I can do anything with nothing.
    Fiberglass is traditional.From Malmesbury,South Africa

Thread Information