Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 NFL Season

2008 NFL Season

Following the 2007 thead (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...fl-season.html), here's the 2008 thread.

I thought I would wait before creating it, but since Rooster is already posting a lot about football, why not creating it now. Same concept as last year's thread, post everything on-field/off-field, predictions, comments about games, players, coaches and whatnot, as long as it concerns the NFL.

I ask kindly any American football haters to stay away, any comments like "LOLOLOL football is called soccer noobs" or "soccer/rugby is better lulz" will be deleted in no time. It's not the point of this thread. Thanks.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Who are the favourites looking to be this season?

Ok i want to break this down, obvious choices is not what I say, but what las vegas odds makers say so please don't give me any "duhh its not obvious, noone ever knows" k?
    • AFC East

Obvious Choice: NEP
    Obvious Worst: MIA
    NYJ: This team went 10-6 two years ago, beat the patriots in their home, made the playoffs, and then went 4-12 this year with the SAME PERSONEL. Now they have much better personel, and they added two more pro-bowlers. Inconsistency, especially one 3rd down offence and pre-tackle positioning on defence are the enemies.
    BUF: Same story pretty much every year. Quarterback position is hard to stabilize, crushing defence plagued by injuries, and always a good runningback carrying the load and reducing his own career length. Looks about the same this year. Inconsistency, especially in the secondary, and one 3rd down offence are the enemies.
    • AFC North

Obvious Choice: PIT
    Obvious Worst: CIN
    CLE: Went 10-6 last season, explosive offence, now with their run defence is stabilized, but willie mcginest is gone. but he was old anyways. This team doesn't have much internal enemies, I think they lost three games last year by only 3 points or less? I guess they can be moer "clutch" but coaches don't even know what that word means.
    BAL: The defence is always there and will never go away. The D is old, but the mistakes are down too. Retiring of McNair and Ogden, one of the best tackles in our generation, doesn't bode well for the offence. Internal enemies for this team is just pass protection on offence, inconsistency in wide receiver play on offence, and 3rd down offence in general.
    • AFC South

Obvious Choice: IND
    Obvious Worst: HOU
    JAC: Ok, MARCUS STROUD IS GONE! Lets see how this vaunted run defence can do now. Offensively, the two headed monster in Taylor and MJD will carry the load while Gerrard will only feed off the run and play better. Internal enemies are that they are soemwhat suseptable to the deep ball in non-obvious situations, and the fact that they don't get any pass rush on defence doesnt help either.
    TEN: This team had the best IN-DIVISION record last season, meaning they are really good at beating the colts and jaguars. Outside, the story is different. Run defence is solid with a big d-line and stout MLB, can run the ball offensively with the rest, pass defence will have to rely soley on line play as opposed to secondary play (sorta like hwo the giants won SB). Internal enemies are simply receiver play, third down offence in general, and a lack of creativity in general when using a backfield that now has a powerback (White), a running quarterback (Young), and a speed back with their rookie. They may never need to pass again!
    • AFC West

Obvious Choice: SDC
    Obvious Worst: KCC (****, i like the chiefs too)
    DEN: Seriously, this is another team thats the asme story ever year. On offence, a undersized, disciplined, finese-style offensive line paves the way for a no-name runningback to rush for 1000 yards in an offensive playbook that has only two running plays: Zone left, and Zone right. Passing is a piece of cake, since Cutler will feed off of the run, while getting confortable pass protection (this O-Line is finnesse, remember). Receiver play may be the only thing that hurts this offence. Defensively, you have the best secondary in the league, the fastest linebackers i've ever seen, and a mistake free defensive line. Solid. Their internal enemies are red zone defence, and red zone offence, when finesse, speed, and razzle dazzle doesnt compare to pure brute strength.
    OAK: A secondary on par with Denver's and Baltimore's ALONG WITH a pass rush from burgess and clemons, passing against this defence will be tough. Linebackers play mistake free. This Defence will be good, except maybe against bigger, stronger teams that will exploit the absense of warren sapp. Offensively, there is no doubt this team can run the football with the rest but 3rd down offence. Receiver situation is dramatically better than last year if walker makes it, if not, it will be the glaring weakness as porter will be the only one carrying the load.
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

AFC North = Pittsburg
    AFC South = Indy (Jacksonville however will be really close and probably the third best record in the AFC)
    AFC East = New England
    AFC West = San Diego
    NFC West = Seattle

As a lifelong NY Giants fan here's my prediction for my team: they will start off weak (still coming down from their Superbowl win), but they will rally in the second half of the season and they will do the bare minimum to make the playoffs as a wildcard. However, since they are a young team a lot of starts will start to show this season and they will make some smart trades in the off season and be back to the NFC Championship in 2009.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by blingbling View Post
    BUF: Same story pretty much every year. Quarterback position is hard to stabilize, crushing defence plagued by injuries, and always a good runningback carrying the load and reducing his own career length. Looks about the same this year. Inconsistency, especially in the secondary, and one 3rd down offence are the enemies.
    Don't be surprised if the Bills pull some of the unlikely upsets they couldn't quite finish last year and maybe, MAYBE sneak into a wildcard spot. They will be much improved.
    JAC: Ok, MARCUS STROUD IS GONE! Lets see how this vaunted run defence can do now. Offensively, the two headed monster in Taylor and MJD will carry the load while Gerrard will only feed off the run and play better. Internal enemies are that they are soemwhat suseptable to the deep ball in non-obvious situations, and the fact that they don't get any pass rush on defence doesnt help either.
    Jacksonville made no secret with their draft that they are serious about taking the AFC South crown from the Colts. If the Colts stumble at ALL they will lose the division, but I don't see that happening yet.
    OAK: A secondary on par with Denver's and Baltimore's ALONG WITH a pass rush from burgess and clemons, passing against this defence will be tough. Linebackers play mistake free. This Defence will be good, except maybe against bigger, stronger teams that will exploit the absense of warren sapp. Offensively, there is no doubt this team can run the football with the rest but 3rd down offence. Receiver situation is dramatically better than last year if walker makes it, if not, it will be the glaring weakness as porter will be the only one carrying the load.
    Their offense will put up some numbers but will be inconsistent.

I am not quite ready to make actual season predictions until training camps and some preseason but right now this is how I see it:
    AFC North: Browns (Steelers schedule is the hardest in the NFL)
    AFC South: Colts (Jacksonville might steal it, but doubtful at this time)
    AFC East: Pats (Unless the Super Bowl Loser's Curse catches them)
    AFC West: Chargers

NFC North: Vikings
    NFC South: Saints (This is an early pick that could change for me to the Bucs)
    NFC East: Dallas
    NFC West: Seattle (But the Cards should improve from '07's 8-8)

My team, the Chicago Bears (Da Bears!) I think their run game will improve (Forte for ROTY) the QB play could surprise if its actually consistent for a change. The defense should be its old self barring injuries. All in all I think at best they are 8-8, maybe 9-7. If none of these predictions work out maybe we'll be in line for Tim Tebow, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    Don't be surprised if the Bills pull some of the unlikely upsets they couldn't quite finish last year and maybe, MAYBE sneak into a wildcard spot. They will be much improved.
    Bills suck. I used to make fun of them but actually watched a few of their games last season... and they sucked except for the one game that they held their own against the Patriots.

I am not quite ready to make actual season predictions until training camps and some preseason but right now this is how I see it:
    AFC North: Browns (Steelers schedule is the hardest in the NFL)
    AFC South: Colts (Jacksonville might steal it, but doubtful at this time)
    AFC East: Pats (Unless the Super Bowl Loser's Curse catches them)

NFC South: Saints (This is an early pick that could change for me to the Bucs)
    NFC East: Dallas
    NFC West: Seattle (But the Cards should improve from '07's 8-8)
    SD has a harder schedule than the Steelers, probably the toughest schedule in the NFL. However I still think they'll win their division with ease.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Before i post my pics, Is anyone in this thread interested in joining the fantasy league? Ya'll seem to know your football.

AFC east=Patriots (but GO FINS!!! haha)
    AFC North=Pittsburg
    Afc west= chargers but i think denver might sneak in
    afc south=colts

nfc north=vikings (i think they might make it to the superbowl too)
    nfc east= Dallas
    nfc west= 49ers (wide open)
    nfc south= carolina
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

As I said in the other thread

AFC North: Browns
    AFC South: Texans
    AFC East: Patriots

NFC South: Buccaneers
    NFC East: Eagles
    NFC West: Seattle (Experts are picking Seattle to go 11-5 or better)

Bills suck. I used to make fun of them but actually watched a few of their games last season... and they sucked except for the one game that they held their own against the Patriots.
    Yes looking at their scores they were bad, but they either had a rookie QB starting or a former number 1 pick bust. Their running game will be better and they drafted better wide receivers. For the record, you were think of the Cowboys (25-24 Boys) who they held their own against, not the Pats (38-7 Pats and 56-10 Pats the two times they played).

SD has a harder schedule than the Steelers, probably the toughest schedule in the NFL. However I still think they'll win their division with ease.
    And I read somewhere that the Steelers rank first in strength of schedule, meaning they have the hardest. The Colts have the second hardest.
    Last edited by ScionDriver; 06-27-2008 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    Before i post my pics, Is anyone in this thread interested in joining the fantasy league? Ya'll seem to know your football.

AFC east=Patriots (but GO FINS!!! haha)
    AFC North=Pittsburg
    Afc west= chargers but i think denver might sneak in
    afc south=colts

nfc north=vikings (i think they might make it to the superbowl too)
    nfc east= Dallas
    nfc west= 49ers (wide open)
    nfc south= carolina
    Disagree about the NFC West; Niners, Rams and Cards are all teams that cn snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, so I still say the Seahawks have it all but locked.
    NFC South: Carolina feels lacking in everything but Steve Smith's ability to catch. Bucs or Saints.

And I read somewhere that the Steelers rank first in strength of schedule, meaning they have the hardest. The Colts have the second hardest.
    Maybe because the Chargers are my AFC team it just feels like they have the toughest schedule. But it won't be a cakewalk for any of those teams; but then again when you have LT, Payton or Mike Tomlin, it might be.

AFC East - Patriots 14-2
    AFC North - Browns 11-5
    AFC South - Colts 13-3
    AFC West - Chargers 12-4
    AFC Wildcard - Jaguars 12-4, Raiders 10-6

NFC East - Giants 13-3
    NFC North - Vikings 12-4
    NFC South - Saints 10-6
    NFC West - Seahawks 11-5
    NFC Wildcard - Cowboys 12-4, Eagles 10-6

GO VIKINGS!!! With the #1 run defense, Adrian Peterson, improved pass rush and secondary, improving receiver core, anyone who thinks this team is going to go 8-8 or something is a moron/cheesehead

Seattle can easily repeat their 2005 success if all goes well
    ...but this time, we'll win the Super Bowl

but seattle is in the nfc west... automatic FAIL
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Im not sure about seattle. They have a history of falling apart late in the season and loosing playoff games. Also i worry about it being Holmgren's last season. it could be one of those deals where everyone says "lets play hard for coach" or it could lead to disorder and players saying "lets not listen to him he wont be back"
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Thread Information