Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Lol gtr

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    teh button does NOT cause the dmage.
    Idiotic drivers with no mechanicla knowledge or sympathy do THAT.
    ANd that makes it their own bloody fault.

oh and btw you'll also find your laptop does say it has to be treated gently and avoid knocksm fluids etc etc.

The problem is it used to be called "common sense", but thanks to US litigation prowess that can't be used and so now everyone goes "oh, NIssan let this button be pressed that meant *I* was in control of the machinery and it's wear/abuse ad it broke. SO it's not MY fault because tey dind't say it LOUD enough.

Nah, the BS is the bleating on the abusers.
    If anyone thinks they can by a car and run it at it's published performance figures all the time is a class one idiot and desreves to NOT be permitted cars and to have sharp crayons removed from their locality. For example, running an engien at it's rev limit/max revs WILL wear it out. See common sense. BUT the manual doesn't say you can't. But you'll find a manufacturere rightly complaining if they had to cover that warranty ... AND all the other owners with common sense who are having to fund the idiot
    Would you hold the same opinion if for instance BMW had the same approach with their M5 and 6 with the 400/500 hp choice? The car would be advertised as 500hp, but if you turn it on, your warranty will be voided.

How about if the S2000 manual said you can never rev over 6000rpm?

Or your AC can chill your car down to 16 degrees C, but don't you turn it down to less than 20... or else...

Overheating your laptop... etc?

Usually the point in warranties is that the customer wouldn't have to worry about these sorts of things.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    Would you hold the same opinion if for instance BMW had the same approach with their M5 and 6 with the 400/500 hp choice? The car would be advertised as 500hp, but if you turn it on, your warranty will be voided.
    Actually something similar happened.
    The local head mechanic at a BMW dealer told me about 3 years ago or so, the first M5s were suffering a lot of issues at the engine. In a couple of cases the engine was to be substituted. At first BMW wasn't going to cover the costs hiding behind the fact the car was quite peculiar, but since I never heard of such stories like for the GT-R anymore, I think they later paid.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Regardless of whether you want to blame Nissan, whiny ignorant GT-R owners, the GT-R's design itself, or the USA....fact remains that the GT-R's rep is the one taking a beating because of this. Yes, I've heard of BMW's warranty procedures as well. The difference between the situation with the M series and the new GT-R is that BMW didn't get all the press it could advertising how awesome the M5 was with the M button depressed on the N ring.....nor was there a legion of fanboys waiting around shouting from every rooftop how awesome the M was gonna be a year before the damn thing ever hit the market.

Yes, in a perfect world Nissan's warranty policy with the GT-R should not be a problem. But in a world were you have to put big shiny warning labels on every damn thing to avoid idiots from doing bodily harm to themselves in the absence of common sense.......you can see where a problem for Nissan might arise. And yea, if I drive my GT around town with the parking brake on Ford won't honor my warranty to fix the damage done by it. But they also don't have a button on the console designed to engage the e-brake on command so I can do gnarly powerslides either.
    "Wise man say: Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    That's not a launch control.
    How about if the S2000 manual said you can never rev over 6000rpm?
    That's not a launch control
    Or your AC can chill your car down to 16 degrees C, but don't you turn it down to less than 20... or else...
    That's not a lunch control
    Overheating your laptop... etc?

Usually the point in warranties is that the customer wouldn't have to worry about these sorts of things.
    Yeah but warranty is NOT about protecting from stupidity !!!
    NORMAL usage, if you look at any performance car you find caveats espsecially on oil changes. ANY person usinga car on trackdays who does not change gearbox and diff oil AT LEAST once a year is a fool and change the engine oil every high performance trackday deserves what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBlood147 View Post
    Regardless of whether you want to blame Nissan, whiny ignorant GT-R owners, the GT-R's design itself, or the USA....fact remains that the GT-R's rep is the one taking a beating because of this.
    No evidence that it's "taking a beating" in the group of indivuduals who are SERIOUS about owning one.
    nor was there a legion of fanboys waiting around shouting from every rooftop
    Hitting the nail on the head there tb
    iT'S ALL THE NONSENSE FROM PELPLE WHO ACTUALLY HAVE NO FUNDS OR THE APPROPRAITE SKILLS OR KNOWLEDGE that are the root of this.
    Both NIssan and Porsche twats
    But they also don't have a button on the console designed to engage the e-brake on command so I can do gnarly powerslides either.
    erm YES the do, there's a button on the end of the handbrake and you definately want to learn the skill of handbrake turns So the handbrake analogy is perfect.
    Rally cars btw adopt different handbrake lock mechasnism for precisly that reason. You press the button IN when you want it to lock in place !!

That's not a lunch control
    It is if it prevents chocolate from melting...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

No evidence that it's "taking a beating" in the group of indivuduals who are SERIOUS about owning one.
    True. I'm talking more about the bicker sessions and trash talking that goes on in threads like this one over the net. Of course.......trash spread around on the net usually isn't much worth taking seriously anyways, is it? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It is if it prevents chocolate from melting...
    The quicker you get home from market, the less chance there is of that happening
    Last edited by ThisBlood147; 01-18-2009 at 02:21 PM.

teh button does NOT cause the dmage.
    Idiotic drivers with no mechanicla knowledge or sympathy do THAT.
    ANd that makes it their own bloody fault.

oh and btw you'll also find your laptop does say it has to be treated gently and avoid knocksm fluids etc etc.

The problem is it used to be called "common sense", but thanks to US litigation prowess that can't be used and so now everyone goes "oh, NIssan let this button be pressed that meant *I* was in control of the machinery and it's wear/abuse ad it broke. SO it's not MY fault because tey dind't say it LOUD enough.

Nah, the BS is the bleating on the abusers.
    If anyone thinks they can by a car and run it at it's published performance figures all the time is a class one idiot and desreves to NOT be permitted cars and to have sharp crayons removed from their locality. For example, running an engien at it's rev limit/max revs WILL wear it out. See common sense. BUT the manual doesn't say you can't. But you'll find a manufacturere rightly complaining if they had to cover that warranty ... AND all the other owners with common sense who are having to fund the idiot
    This I can agree with, except for one thing. Obviously running a car at redline to achieve maximum performance throughout it's lifespan is detrimental to it's reliability. With the GT-R it's impossible to reach such acceleration figures without launch control. The idea of wrecking my newly bought sportscar with the use of this feature is off-putting to me considering the weight it holds in advertising and car comparos.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Let me racap what I think you're saying ?

Redline all the time is detrimental to longevity.
    To reach top speed you're going to have to redline it often and keep it there.

Yet "Launch control" isn't treated with the same logic ?

I would suggest the examples you've given support the case in point most equitably

Let me racap what I think you're saying ?

Redline all the time is detrimental to longevity.
    To reach top speed you're going to have to redline it often and keep it there.

Yet "Launch control" isn't treated with the same logic ?

I would suggest the examples you've given support the case in point most equitably
    Does reaching top speed when at redline void the warranty though? Obviously warrantees will be different but generally I'd figure that is kept within the engine's limitations. I view the GT-R's launch control feature as something that's been seen in Formula 1 where the rpm's can be boosted by about 1 or 2 thousand RPM but only temporarily or at a huge risk of engine failure.

Overall I guess my point is that the launch control shouldn't even be in the car if it will result in transmission failure, or like I noted earlier.. clearly labeled as a detriment to the internals of the vehicle when used. In an ideal situation for me, this should have been taken in the stance of Mercedes for example where a limiter is put into place but can be taken off either personally or through a tuning company, albeit limited for different reasons. (Gentleman's agreement vs structural integrity)
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

? launch control ? increasing revs ?
    no.
    MORE revs is the last thing you'd want when pulling away
    Just needs even more clutch slip !

You're point about not being put in is OK about launch control IF you then assume that it will be idiots who will own the car. Then of course it's just punished all the knowledgable, sensible owners who understand that it CAN be used but don't expect to do it all the time or do it over aggresively.

WHich does bring a better analogy.
    IF you owned an auto and used the tried and tested technique of holding the brakes on, building the revs up and letting the torque convertor fry to get fast launch.
    Do you expect warranty to cover that ?
    NOT a chance, the dealer will argue that the evidence is clear that you were doing inappropriate launches -- coz the boiled slush box oil and the bent torque convertor plates tell the truth.

I can assure that the best you'd get woudl be ONE repair with you footing part of the bill. Second time you'll be shown the door.

( How do I know ? Coz mate's 300ZX went trhough 6 transimssions in the time he owned it by doing exactly this at local drag strip. )

SO I suggest that this is the better analogy to the GT-R launch issue.
    All auto cars do NOT have ways to prevent you doing it, but you CAN chose to push the brake and push the accelerator whilst stationaery and then go for it.

So, does that help clarify the nonsense of all the fanboys and webchair "experts" and their claims about what Nissan shoudl and shouldn't do ?????

? launch control ? increasing revs ?
    no.
    MORE revs is the last thing you'd want when pulling away
    Just needs even more clutch slip !

You're point about not being put in is OK about launch control IF you then assume that it will be idiots who will own the car. Then of course it's just punished all the knowledgable, sensible owners who understand that it CAN be used but don't expect to do it all the time or do it over aggresively.

WHich does bring a better analogy.
    IF you owned an auto and used the tried and tested technique of holding the brakes on, building the revs up and letting the torque convertor fry to get fast launch.
    Do you expect warranty to cover that ?
    NOT a chance, the dealer will argue that the evidence is clear that you were doing inappropriate launches -- coz the boiled slush box oil and the bent torque convertor plates tell the truth.

I can assure that the best you'd get woudl be ONE repair with you footing part of the bill. Second time you'll be shown the door.

( How do I know ? Coz mate's 300ZX went trhough 6 transimssions in the time he owned it by doing exactly this at local drag strip. )

SO I suggest that this is the better analogy to the GT-R launch issue.
    All auto cars do NOT have ways to prevent you doing it, but you CAN chose to push the brake and push the accelerator whilst stationaery and then go for it.

So, does that help clarify the nonsense of all the fanboys and webchair "experts" and their claims about what Nissan shoudl and shouldn't do ?????
    Understood. At this point I'll choose to agree to disagree.. to an extent, on the issue but I will say this. If I'd been given the keys to a GT-R and been told that launch control is necessary for reaching the posted acceleration figures, I wouldn't equate that to the same danger level of raising the revs in an automatic by holding both the brake and accelerator. Without knowing the extent of the warranty/manual, I would assume that a manufacturer installed button that is easily accessable would be okay to use, if only sparingly. I don't want to debate technicalities and details, so I'm leaving my stance on the issue with Nissan being a bit questionable in their business practice with their halo car.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Truly this car shouldn't be touted for its launching ability anyways. You don't buy a car like this to drag race it IMO. Why do I say this? Because like Matra just said.......it does invariably lead to transmission issues. Now this isn't a big deal on cars with inexpensive gearboxes, but when your car's unit costs 20 large.........it's probably not the best idea. It all goes by what I posted earlier......I prefer my performance toys to be inexpensive. Cheaper and easier to fix if you make a boneheaded move behind the wheel.

Of course, alot of ppl who can afford the GT-R probably won't sweat the repair costs. It's just the fools who can just "barely" afford the pricetag who are likely to raise a stink about Nissan voiding the warranty to fix their fried transmission.

Nissan will do well to just take the launch control button off the future runs, offer a manual gearbox option, and tell the abusive wannabe dragracers to go buy an old Nova.
    Last edited by ThisBlood147; 01-18-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBlood147 View Post
    It's simple: don't design a shiny red "go-faster" button in a modern sportscar and then tell ppl they can't touch it or their warranty goes bye bye.
    Out of curiosity, do you (or anyone) have a picture of this shiny red button?

BTW, Nissan's stance on warranty isn't all that different from other companies. Porsche and GM advertise cars (GT2 and Z06) that are ostensibly designed for track work and go to great lengths to promote them on track at press events. But if you drive on track and something fails (even as a result of inherent mechanical defect), they have legal rights to deny coverage, even if all you're doing is non-competitive drivers education. Ditto for Dodge on the ACR: it's possible they will void your entire vehicle warranty if you change the aero device and suspension settings from stock. You don't even have to physically be on a track.
    Viper ACR - RoadAndTrack Forums

The dealer provides a disclaimer that the buyer signs when taking delivery, acknowledging they're aware of the impact on the warranty should they decide to make these changes.

Isn't it shady of Dodge to be promoting this car as being capable of beating the next fastest car by 5 seconds in test after test, but if you adjust the suspension (even to fix a defective factory setting, which has happened), they reserve the right to deny your warranty claim?

So in the mean time what are you going to do

Thread Information