40. You may not vote on this poll
  • All/4 Wheel Drive

13 32.50%
  • Rear Wheel Drive

27 67.50%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 4WD or RWD on a road car?

Quote Originally Posted by scottie300z View Post
    I'd go for awd if someone else is ever going to drive your car. That way if the tires are a bit worn and it rains you don't have to worry if someone is going to wreck your car. And speaking from experience, it really sucks when someone does.

If it's just you, for most cars I'd go for rwd. Although the quattro cars are enticing. But a nice lightweight rwd is hard to beat.
    two things: first, don't let other people drive your car.ò second, never heard quattro cars are fun to drive, except the R8 (maybe) or the last RS4 (almost)
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

the way i see it, rear wheel drive is nice because of how simple it is, it keeps a car very balanced and its easier to fix things. FWD becomes more compliacted although today it has become very simple as well. the way i see it is if there is more then 2 inches of snow you probably shouldn't be driving unless you wanna have fun in which case you should have a aproper AWD car. RWD is lots of fun to drive. people who have AWD think their cars handle so much better when in actuallity you may not spin our your rear by being dumb but it doesn't make you king either. i believe the greatest traction improvement can be provided by tires and a good suspension. next up would be a better chassis. simple physics.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    two things: first, don't let other people drive your car.ò second, never heard quattro cars are fun to drive, except the R8 (maybe) or the last RS4 (almost)
    As far as the first thing, somethings just cant be helped. If you don't have enough cars or there is a certain situation, at one point you may have to entrust someone else. But usually, yes your right. And as a rule, I can't see anything wrong with that.

And I like the quattro cars not b/c they're supposed to be loads of fun but actually b/c of the opposite. If I want a fully refined automobile awd would make it feel nicely put together. While an AMG might be fun b/c of rwd and gobs of power (and really is more enticing to me and most people now), the quattro offers a different experience which I can still enjoy. Although on a different level.
    You can call me scott.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I have seen pics of the vastness of Australia.....and all roads are straight....
    Me live in mountainous region on Great Dividing Range near 'roof' of Australia.......many curves

Cooma-Monaro Region Map: Boggy Plain; Yaouk | Australia Google Satellite Maps

Being an old codger I remember driving - or more correctly piloting - my Dad's '69 Falcon wagon with the 185x14 Dunlop Guardian crossplies. They were no-grip teflon coated razorblades so as soon as you turned the wheel you were sliding out. It was a helluva lot of fun actually, and good training too with the super-gentle & very predictable breakaway. Quite a 'forgiving' car in fact. In comparison the tyres on cars these days tolerate very little slip angle. They seem to grip forever, until it all gets serious in the blink of an eye, and catches out those naive young whippersnappers.

There's two types of drivers:

Those who need all the grip they can get, because they wouldn't have a clue what to do if they ever ran out of adhesion.
    And those who have the basic ability to catch a slide, and are not completely over-awed by this possibility.

I suspect that quite a few of the latter might more enjoy their motoring more if they ran their cars on less than super-dooper tyres

Quote Originally Posted by scottie300z View Post
    As far as the first thing, somethings just cant be helped. If you don't have enough cars or there is a certain situation, at one point you may have to entrust someone else. But usually, yes your right. And as a rule, I can't see anything wrong with that.
    it happens I don't feel comfortable when I'm not the one driving, let alone giving them my car too. but as you said, sometimes, it's not up to us.

And I like the quattro cars not b/c they're supposed to be loads of fun but actually b/c of the opposite. If I want a fully refined automobile awd would make it feel nicely put together. While an AMG might be fun b/c of rwd and gobs of power (and really is more enticing to me and most people now), the quattro offers a different experience which I can still enjoy. Although on a different level.
    I see. Audi isn't exactly on the top of my own chart for a bunch of reasons, but I get your point and quite agree whit you.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    that is all very well, but we are talking about "ROAD" cars, i.e. cars to be used on the road, and may I add, in traffic. In my current environment I would not know of any road where I should start practicing these sorts of things without greatly endangering (or being endangered by) my fellow road users. It would be very nice on a closed track, but we were not discussing "TRACK" cars.
    You don't need to go mega fast to appreciate the balance of a well engineered car with an FR layout.

This is something I have discovered with the BMW. The Mini is a hoot to drive, but only when you are going for it. In the BMW you only need to make a bit of progress to discover that the car feels right, it feels balanced, the steering is great. You know that it was meant to be drivers car and it's a very pleasant sensation. On that basis I fully agree with nota and his FR posts.

Oh, and as an added benefit you get a tighter turning circle.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Henk, I guess I was thinking of a sportyish road car, but I honestly can't remember. I didn't include fwd because of that (maybe?) and because they serve more different purposes, to some degree, than RWD and AWD.
    Last edited by f6fhellcat13; 10-23-2008 at 06:33 PM.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ear-wheel.html

similar to yours. there are others that have elements. that was a cursory search. feel freee to complete one for yourself.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Damn
    Mine has a poll though.

the search tool is oft-underutilized
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

there's no reason why FWD can't be fun even in a daily driver context, i just don't see why people want to mix and match with AWD... although i suppose i've taken that to extremes (FF and RR haha)
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Henk, I guess I was thinking of a sportyish road car, but I honestly can't remember. I didn't include fwd because of that (maybe?) and because they serve more different purposes, to some degree, than RWD and AWD.
    well maybe it is good to remember that before the Citroen Xsara WRC entered the rallye scene, it first appeared as a FWD kit-car. It regularly beat the proper WRC AWD contenders (Peugeot/Subaru/Mitsubishi) at tarmac rallies....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I am aware that there are some properly quick FwD cars out there, and I would edit the poll if I could. Unless, that is, the original reason for leaving FWD out comes to me.
    Maybe I was thinking BMW vs Audi, but I dont think thats likely.
    Damn, amnesia is a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I am aware that there are some properly quick FwD cars out there, and I would edit the poll if I could. Unless, that is, the original reason for leaving FWD out comes to me.
    Maybe I was thinking BMW vs Audi, but I dont think thats likely.
    Damn, amnesia is a pain.
    well at least you generated a lively debate
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

4 pages in one day, lively indeed.
    This is slightly off topic but... Henk, what modern FWD car would you say is equivalent (or better) in terms of performance and handling and other quialities to a BMW 3?
    Just to make it interesting, it cannot be a Citroen.

Thread Information