Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The University Thread

Been there, done it, got the $15,000 debt.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

University of Canberra - Faculty of Architecture.

To tell you how good it is? let me break it down into figures.

300 students spread over 5 years. 4 full time teachers to cater to all of them.

Recent RAIA (royal Australian institute of architects - essentially the people who give us jobs) accreditation panel states that unless things improve - specifically they actually teach us how to use a computer and about environmental factors - our standing as a school fit to teach architecture will be revoked in 5 years.

The course itself requires a bucketload of work that, if you've recently read the often dangerous, rarely cohesive "Galah Sessions" thread, I've had a gutful of, but considering i'm 2 years through a 3 year course, would be a shame to walk out on......

Overall, yeah, love uni
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Like a proper student i wake up late(10-11 ish), go to classes and work, drink beer and fall asleep again around 4-5am.
    Sounds like the formula to success!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
    Sounds like the formula to success!!!
    Haha true, but i only have maybe 4-5 hours of lessons spread over 4 days a week so..

Quote Originally Posted by scottie300z View Post
    In all my dorms I've brought in a tv, mini fridge and my comp. that's about it. Although once I did bring in a big screen tv. It took up most of the room though.

My apartment is just stocked w/ 2nd hand furnishings and nothing interesting to look at so I'm not even going to bother with pictures. Although it tops any dorm ive ever seen b/c it has a full kitchen.
    this.

I took my present house because it's very cheap, but it's an avoidable place. the pub at the corner is mainly frequented by junkies, the walls of the apartment are so thin I can hear the old man living upstairs farting while in the bathtub , and the furnishing is, well, rubbish.
    Now I basically live with the girlfriend. better house than mine for sure but obviously more expensive. I save 100 € a month over her rent, so now it's quite difficult for me to find another decent place where to stay without feeling to wasting my money. here the rents are very high.

btw, Mechanical Engineering (3 years), looking for a specialization in Automotive Engineering (2 years), if things don't change, but I came to Modena from Padova just for this University, so it wouldn't be a wise choice to go somewhere else.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I forgot the main part, this University sucks. A lot of people from all around the world come here for the specialization. Don't do that. Teachers are mainly assholes with a second, and better paid, job and basically don't care of the University or of the students and the Italian University system's is a complete mess. Another problem is a teacher, a little gone crazy probably. He has just one course in the first degree, and one in the specialization. the problem is that the load of study for each of these courses is comparable to that of three other courses. The course is ranked at 5 points, and usually following 5 points courses you manage to reach about 80 pages of notes. his course is good for 189 pages, and there is no book. well, there is one, but the few times he quotes it is for saying that the book is wrong (wright your book asshole). a lot of people complained for this and the difficult exam that follows the course (from 2 to 3 hours, oral exam), but nothing changed since he was here. usually students avoid the automotive specialization just to avoid another course with him. nice.

Wait, you're at uni in Modena? You wouldn't happen to have met an Aussie chick from Sydney doing a year's exchange there called Claire would you?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Wait, you're at uni in Modena? You wouldn't happen to have met an Aussie chick from Sydney doing a year's exchange there called Claire would you?
    I used to live in the main dorm (350 people) where there were a lot of students from all around the world, and from Oz too, for two years, but I don't remember any Claire.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I forgot the main part, this University sucks. A lot of people from all around the world come here for the specialization. Don't do that. Teachers are mainly assholes with a second, and better paid, job and basically don't care of the University or of the students and the Italian University system's is a complete mess. Another problem is a teacher, a little gone crazy probably. He has just one course in the first degree, and one in the specialization. the problem is that the load of study for each of these courses is comparable to that of three other courses. The course is ranked at 5 points, and usually following 5 points courses you manage to reach about 80 pages of notes. his course is good for 189 pages, and there is no book. well, there is one, but the few times he quotes it is for saying that the book is wrong (wright your book asshole). a lot of people complained for this and the difficult exam that follows the course (from 2 to 3 hours, oral exam), but nothing changed since he was here. usually students avoid the automotive specialization just to avoid another course with him. nice.
    Here we have strange guys as well, but they sure know their trade. Usually we dont have to use many books, just use it as reference in projects and stuff. I write about 2-3 pages of notes per hour and many more in calculation notes and stuff you barely look at any more.. We have many books written by teachers on all kinds of different subjects. We have one that wrote about 20, each atleast 2-300 pages long full of formulas and in-depth calculations and examples. Very good stuff. Workload is sometimes a lot higher though that the X points they assign to a subject.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Here we have strange guys as well, but they sure know their trade. Usually we dont have to use many books, just use it as reference in projects and stuff. I write about 2-3 pages of notes per hour and many more in calculation notes and stuff you barely look at any more.. We have many books written by teachers on all kinds of different subjects. We have one that wrote about 20, each atleast 2-300 pages long full of formulas and in-depth calculations and examples. Very good stuff. Workload is sometimes a lot higher though that the X points they assign to a subject.
    we completely lack of books written by out teachers, except from two: one is a little old, but very good. the other is about engines, is 15 years old and doesn't contain a single reference to common-rail diesel engine , and it's supposed to be good even today, while during the course we have also a look at HCCI engines.

the overall organization is shameful

california state university, chico -first 1.5 years
    University of Nebraska lincoln (GO BIG RED)-BS in criminal justice
    University of nebraska college of law-workin on my law degree (juris doctorate)
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    we completely lack of books written by out teachers, except from two: one is a little old, but very good. the other is about engines, is 15 years old and doesn't contain a single reference to common-rail diesel engine , and it's supposed to be good even today, while during the course we have also a look at HCCI engines.

the overall organization is shameful
    For the more modern technologies I can recommend the Bosch books. They basically tackle certain specific things like for example common-rail in about 100 pages, with very good and direct writing. On the end is always a list of formulas. We use them too regularly and have almost every one of them in the library. Maybe suggest them to the teacher or something..

Overall organization is crap too sometimes here, however thats basically because we and all the teachers resist against any kind of bureaucracy the school wants us to adhere to In total we have about 300 students on Automotive Engineering and 8 teachers from all kinds of branches. The guy that teaches us about materials and calculations on stress etc. is a former naval-engineer. Others all had important jobs in the automotive world, like one which used to own a dealership holding of 45 garages (he teaches us marketing, sales and management). Another one worked 20+ years for the RDW, testing cars for european type approval. Next one worked for Volvo in the crash labs.. The former manager of engine development at Peugeot works here.. The most intelligent guy is really odd(kinda nerdy) but really good! He finished 3 masters on different subject (electrical engineering, automotive engineering and mechanical engineering) worked as R&D manager for multiple brands and so on.. He can basically go through the complete design of a multilink suspension, calculating all measurements and sizes and the roadholding of the car with it in half an hour.. Often we just sit there, gobsmacked, like WTF, this goes waaaaaaay too quick
    Last edited by drakkie; 10-27-2008 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Oh. I'll probably go and pick up WT tomorrow. Guitar hero is one of my hobbies.. I know it's pathetic.
    not if you make it into a job, then in that case its just panty-moistening-awesome

and as for the pics, yes i will await them eagerly
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Started college at California State University - Chico in '04.
    Dad got boxed into retirement, so we couldn't afford California anymore.
    Started at Tyler Junior College in Tyler, Texas in fall '05 - graduated spring '07
    Started The University of Texas at Tyler fall '07, and still going.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Indiana Univ. Purdue Univ. Indianapolis.. In at Herron School of Art and Design going for a major in graphic design and a minor in web design or business.. Pretty much fun shit, I draw, paint and sculpt all day. Have a 3 story townhouse apartment which is pretty bad ass, too bad mexicans stole our Xbox 360..
    Ucp's #1 Toyota Supra fanatic......still.

2006 Scion tC..
    Forced Induction - Props to Dezod Motorsports & PTuning

Thread Information