Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast

Thread: 2009 24 Hours of Le Mans, LMS and ALMS news

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    And on pole at Paul Ricard.
    that being a high speed track, it proves my point doesn'it?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Basically going the same route as the new 911....I guess their simulation tells them that its faster....911 had a lot of trouble when they switched though...wonder what'll happen this time...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Basically going the same route as the new 911....I guess their simulation tells them that its faster....911 had a lot of trouble when they switched though...wonder what'll happen this time...
    at least the (a) Ferrari won this weekend.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I just received the information all cars taking part in next year FIA GT1 category will be eligible for the 24 Hours of Le Mans, 2010.
    That means the Maserati MC12 could now be raced there in its last year.
    That said, it isn't even clear at the moment if there will be another racing year for the MC12 at all, since money are a bit scarce lately and it isn't clear how much its performance will have to be limited to meet the 2010 regulations. Surely there should be an additional 100 kg ballast.
    On an early test made just working on the electronics to simulate the assumed 2010 specs, race driver and championship leader Andrea Bertolini said "it doesn't move". Direct translation from Italian, he might be a little nostalgic about the times the MC12 was racing free of any limitation.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I doubt the ACO will allow the MC12 in. They have always considered it illegal and I doubt that will change now. 2 metre is still the maximum width.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    I doubt the ACO will allow the MC12 in. They have always considered it illegal and I doubt that will change now. 2 metre is still the maximum width.
    I know, but at the same time the ACO declared that 2010 GT1 cars, including older cars adapted to comply with the new rules, will be eligible for Le Mans. No words on the MC12 specifically, but at Maserati they are considering the possibility to enter, if the will still race next year.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I know, but at the same time the ACO declared that 2010 GT1 cars, including older cars adapted to comply with the new rules, will be eligible for Le Mans. No words on the MC12 specifically, but at Maserati they are considering the possibility to enter, if the will still race next year.
    Believe me, the ACO hates that car with a vengeance. They almost fell out with the ALMS over it. It would greatly surprise me if any car other than the DBR9 and C6.R will be grandfathered in.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Believe me, the ACO hates that car with a vengeance. They almost fell out with the ALMS over it. It would greatly surprise me if any car other than the DBR9 and C6.R will be grandfathered in.
    I know even this, still I dream about it.

Why wouldn't the new Reiter Murcielago LP670 SV-R, Matech GT1 and Nissan GT-R enter though?
    The Nissan raced very few this year and with weird results (either it sucked or it was lapping very quickly at Spa during the final hours, a bit too late though), and after the unveiling of the Reiter car, the silence fell over it.
    The Matech is the only regular entry in the GT1 races, even if quite off the pace and arguably faster than the GT2 cars.
    It was also interesting to see the old Prodrive 550 GTS being not that off the pace in the Paul Ricard round last weekend.

The new 2010 spec GT1 cars will of course be there but some old cars will be 'grandfathered' into the GT1 World Championship. I believe those would also be eligible for Le Mans. They want at east three manufacturers and ten cars. The Lambo is shrouded in doubt still, so they will need at least one of the old cars. I know Prodrive is working on the conversions and Toine Hezemans has also expressed his interest in modifying his Carsport C6.Rs.

(Ted Joans)

The new 2010 spec GT1 cars will of course be there but some old cars will be 'grandfathered' into the GT1 World Championship. I believe those would also be eligible for Le Mans. They want at east three manufacturers and ten cars. The Lambo is shrouded in doubt still, so they will need at least one of the old cars. I know Prodrive is working on the conversions and Toine Hezemans has also expressed his interest in modifying his Carsport C6.Rs.
    Oh yes, I misunderstood your previous post.

Which car is Prodrive working on, the DBR9?
    Aren't they fully committed to the LMP1 car now?

Prodrive/AMR won't run a factory team in the LMS next year to focus on their 2011 car-so the DBR9 might tide their racing team personel over until then.

And I still wouldn't say that the MC12 would run in the LM 24-as Woulter stated, IMSA and the ACO threatened eachother with bailing out on their endorsment agreements in '05 until the FIA stepped in over that car's ALMS elegiablity. So unless Todt or Vatennen(whoever is FIA president in November) force it down the ACO's throat, I doubt you'll see a MC12 at Le Mans.
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Which car is Prodrive working on, the DBR9?
    Aren't they fully committed to the LMP1 car now?
    They are working on a conversion kit to sell to privateers. So it's a money making venture for them.

(Ted Joans)

autosport.com - Le Mans News: Nissan and Maserati set for return

It seems they are fully expecting Maser in next year's 24....I was under the impression though that ACO had more problem than just the tub....with the car being completely out of spec and all dimension wise...

How are they equalizing the old GT1 to the new ones though....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

It would still surprise me.

(Ted Joans)

I have asked around and it seems I will have to eat my words ... on the Maseratis ...
    Last edited by Wouter Melissen; 10-29-2009 at 08:50 AM.

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information