Thread: Pontiac G8 GT or Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pontiac G8 GT or Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Here is the dilemma:
    I am getting my first car soon (I will admit I am extremely thankful that my parents are actually going to spend money on a car for me).
    With their consultation we have come down to two very possible choices:

THE PONTIAC G8 GT:
    This is basically a Holden Commodore SS with hood scoops, a Pontiac logo, and the wheel on the other side. This car appealed to my parents because of the fact that it is a full-sized sedan, it looks great, and has promising reliability being Australian and not American. They also don't really mind the 361hp and the 385 ft/lb torque...all for barely over $30,000!
    http://jalopnik.com/assets/resources...c-G8-GT_01.jpg

THE MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION X:
    This is the less likely choice because of its worse highway fuel consumption, smaller size, and longer braking distance than the G8. Also, my parents are not very supportive of my first car having manual transmission, so the $38,000 MR is more possible because of this, but I'm hopeful that the appeal of the GSR's lower pricetag (by $5000) will change their mind. The points for the Evo X include its superior handling and more promising reliability.
    http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-conte..._evo_3_4f3.jpg

Both cars are very safe and have decent warranties.

SOME OTHER CHOICES:
    From when I was about 8 years old, I always thought I would get an old Porsche 911 as my first car. I found a black RUF CTR (humunahumunahumuna) in St. Louis, Missouri for $38,000 and a bunch of other beautiful Porsche 911's for under $30,000 all over AutoTrader Classics. Honestly, one of those would be my #1 choice, but my parent's won't even consider used cars...
    http://images.traderpub.net/img/10/d...90460112_1.jpg

My question for you guys is: which car should be the one?
    Also, what points can be used to possibly convince my parents to get a used car (besides price, handling in the case of Porsches, reliability in the case of Porsches)?
    Last edited by fisetdavid26; 11-30-2008 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Pictures too wide.
    I am a n00b for now, but I plan to become auto savvy the same way I became computer hardware and water-cooling savvy: through FORUMS

Hope nobody minds...

Thread Information