Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SynchroRev Match.

SynchroRev Match.

This is part of the press release for the Nissan 370Z. Apparently, this car has a feature that makes heel-toe downshifting unnecessary, called a Synchro Rev Match. I read about it in a magazine and found a copypasta here. Below, the relevant part.

The new engine is backed by a choice of two new advanced transmissions, both designed to improve driver performance. The new close-ratio 6-speed manual includes an available world’s first synchronized downshift rev matching system, which allows drivers of any skill level to experience professional-like gear shift performance. The “SynchroRev Match” function automatically controls and adjusts engine speed when shifting to the exact speed of the next gear position, essentially “blipping” the throttle to smooth out any up/down shifts. This not only allows the driver to focus more on braking and steering, it improves vehicle balance and smoothness by reducing the typical “shock” when the clutch is engaged. The system can be deactivated with a button next to the shifter for drivers who prefer less vehicle intervention. The SynchroRev Match system is offered as part of the optional Sport Package.

“The SynchroRev Match system takes nothing away from the driver – you still have to engage the clutch and move the shifter – it just gives you a performance edge by smoothing out the gear engagement,” said Castignetti.

Overall shift feeling has also been improved, with reduced vibration and noise (accomplished through improved lubrication) and a modification to the lever angle of the short-throw shifter.

This is huge news. I mean, cars really are all but driving themselves now. And now the manual transmission, once the traditional mark of the performance driver, is leaping into the 21st century, and once again delegating human skills to The Machine.
    It all reminds me of Marx, who said something along the lines of: "Be careful, so many useful objects will produce useless subjects.*"

So, what do you think of it? Are you all for it or totally against it? Do you think this technology will take off and eventually reach every manual transmission-equipped car? Discuss.

*In the sense of king´s subjects. There´s a wordplay here that loses a bit in the translation to English, that I modified a bit with the word subjects to give it an overtone of alienation and oppresed people.
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

i dont know what i would do. i have forgotten how to operate the brake independently. i would be so confused.

dont get me wrong, i think its cool. but it takes something away doesnt it? like not being able to gloat that you can heel-toe.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

if you can turn it off then its not a bad deal. i wonder how fast it is. i really want to try it. the nice part is, a computer won't mess up. human error does happen!
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

That's a pretty interesting feature....I wonder what sensors they use to dictate the blip duration and timing....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

The Infiniti M45 Sport has it and apparently it's really nice.

the M45 sport doesn't come with a slush box so its not the same. this has a gear selecting shifter that moves and a 3rd pedal clutch. not downshift rev matching for quicker smooth automatic downshifts but for a full on manual! the concept is simple. just it has to be super quick. it has to know what gear, and has to do it before you depress the clutch. the car knows what rev to match to using the gear ratio.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

typical, rather than bothering to learn how to do it yourself, they get a machine to do it for them.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Interesting to see how many people actually do it on UCP? surely just on the track...

my car can stall if i don't do it haha.
    but also a good point, that it's not exactly vital tech..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Good heel and toe technique depends on how well the brake pedal and accelerator pedal are setup. The brake pedal at full application has to be close to level with accelerator pedal as if its not as you heel and toe brake pedal pressure is reduced. Lots of fast guys I know dont even heel and toe and just concentrate on braking as hard and late as possible and having the right gear for the corner.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

most cars have a suspended throttle pedal (I can think of BMW and Porsche as exceptions) so you'll have to bend your foot in a quite unpleasant way to actually do h&t. Sometimes when I pretend that my C5 is a sportscar I do double de clutching, a technique which I learned in my father's Fiat 850 Coupe, 40 years ago.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

My car stalls to if i don't do it lol, time for another 100+€ down the drain, it's a FIAT...

As for the Nissan, i've seen a presentation video of the 370 showing the system working, don't remember where, but youtube might have it.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

I heard Nissan will void your warranty if you turn it off in favor of the traditional heel toe.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    I heard Nissan will void your warranty if you turn it off in favor of the traditional heel toe.
    lols

that brings me to another point, the automated system puts less wear on ur clutch because its guaranteeing smoother shifts. the problem is, many people can't drive stick. heel and toe is a very difficult concept to get. i kno my civic the pedals are all wrong to do it so its rather difficult. i have tried but it doesn't work very well. i do rev match downshift but heel and toe is a pain
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    my car can stall if i don't do it haha.
    but also a good point, that it's not exactly vital tech..
    my rex wont stall, but since the sychros are about toast in 1st and 2nd, i have to heel toe in order to be able to downshift.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Thread Information