Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance...

Guest Guest

Insurance...

My current insurance (with Quinn Direct) lets me drive my car, but also any other car (albeit it 3rd Party), on the condition it's registered to someone else - now I asked if there were any limits, and the person at Quinn said that the car didn't even need to be insured on it's own, simply that it had to be registered in someone elses name, and that I don't even need to tell the insurance company when I do this.

So, what's stopping me getting an ultra-mega-cheap car to insure and paying £700-£800 to insure it and then going and buying something like this (i.e. a car I actually want), then simply putting my parents in as the registered keeper? I understand they will need to buy Tax (which I would pay for), but will it be allowed for road use without any "dedicated" insurance?

Help please!

For one thing it's only third party insurance so if you crashed into someone else, only their car would be fixed and if someone else crashed into you, you'd likely be on your own trying to get their insurance company to cover the damage. Also, if the uninsured car got stolen, vandalised, anything else... it's all coming out of your pocket.

IDK about there, but here you cannot drive a car off the lot without insurance. Someone is going to be paying for it at some point.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

IF you're doing it delibarte act and can be shown to be driving the "temporary" covered car on a regular basis then ALL the insurance goes null and void.
    Also, VERY unusual for it to cover cars not insured in anothers name. I'd check REAL close before making assumptions there. The norm is the other car HAS to be insured for your temporary cover to be valid.
    Again, if you assume theset things and don't get it in writing then you can find yourself suddenly liable for HUGE third party costs and facing fine/jail for no insurance !!

OH and they've all clsoed the "parent-owner/user" loophoel too.
    If they can show you are the regular driver then despite paying your premiums in the event you have an accident or are stopped by the police you'll find they pull the insurance and you're left footing the billl and facing the legal action. THis all changed in the last few years so do NOT relay on anyone elss "opinion". Get a written statemetn from the iunsurere that they will honour the cover in light of the proposed usage.

PS: Get a kit car
    CHeck out the QUantum Owners CLub and see what insurance discount you can get for a QUantum Coupe. THen give me a call. Got one for sale. Daughter has now got over her "speed bug" and we're selling her car. Competed in the Carrera Caledonaia and Rally in the Park. If you're mechanically minded ( or got mates ) then a kit car can be a great buy and CHEAP insurance
    One of our club Quantum Coupes lapped Crail race circuit a mere 1 second slower than a Scooby WRx !!

Talking about insurance, is it bad that I don't have insurance?

My parents have insurance of course, and I don't drive all too often. I only drive pretty much with my parents in the car, since I don't even have my own car.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Talking about insurance, is it bad that I don't have insurance?

My parents have insurance of course, and I don't drive all too often. I only drive pretty much with my parents in the car, since I don't even have my own car.
    You are probably listed under the insurance for their cars. That is how my family does it. That way if any of us three(my mom, my dad, and myself) wants to drive either of the two cars we're covered.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I don't have an insurance (sin I don't have a car of my own), but those of my parents cover for other drivers, relatives or not.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    You are probably listed under the insurance for their cars. That is how my family does it. That way if any of us three(my mom, my dad, and myself) wants to drive either of the two cars we're covered.
    Oh, I see.

Also if a car is picked up with a police ANPR camera because it has no registered insurance then they will stop you. I had it happen to me, only I actually had insurance and my insurer hadn't put the details onto the police network.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

^^^^^ Except the "stop you" if you do NOT| have proper insurance cover is thousands of pountds fine
    They're finally getting the message that the punishment cost has to be a lot greater than the insurance/tax cost otherwise folks WILL run the risk of getting caught. It used to be if you past about 16 months driving without the above withotu getting caught and then WERE you were still not out of pocket after the fines !!!!

J, sounds good deal with Quinn. Glad it all worked out even after making them respond to the gotchas we all raised here

Happy motoring.

DMN, does this mean I've still got extra kit cars needing sold ... SHIT

JakG, how much are Quinn charging you for insurance? Are you the Registered Keeper, Policy Holder and Main Driver and is your Mum on the policy too? Is it Fully Comp or 3rdPF&T?

I just got a quote for me on a 2002 VW Polo 1.2 (65) and they want £5,481.60 from me!
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    I just got a quote for me on a 2002 VW Polo 1.2 (65) and they want £5,481.60 from me!
    I really don't understand this. How can they expect young people to be honest and put the insurance on their own name with prices like that. For a frickin' 1.2 Polo...
    Maybe that's whay they want. Just rake in the money and never pay out.

in one of the worst area of Italy (Naples) you can achieve a 10.000 € figure for a similar car.
    at my place, at north, it's surely cheaper, probably like 3.000 € if you are very very lucky.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I checked out the database and my postcode is in the safest bracket, plus the quote was for a locked garage too, it's ridiculous. Best price I got was from Direct Line at £1,600 (how can other companies justify the HUGE gap?!)
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Thread Information