Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McLaren Decision

McLaren Decision

At an extraordinary meeting of the World Motor Sport Council held in Paris on 29 April 2009, Vodafone McLaren Mercedes admitted five charges of breaching article 151c of the International Sporting Code relating to events at the Australian and Malaysian Grands Prix.

The following decision was taken:

"Having regard to the open and honest way in which McLaren Team Principal, Mr Martin Whitmarsh, addressed the WMSC and the change in culture which he made clear has taken place in his organisation, the WMSC decided to suspend the application of the penalty it deems appropriate.

"That penalty is a suspension of the team from three races of the FIA Formula 1 World Championship. This will only be applied if further facts emerge regarding the case or if, in the next 12 months, there is a further breach by the team of article 151c of the International Sporting Code."

F1 News > McLaren decision
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Lucky, the FIA doesn't seem like they usually do stuff like this and only a couple years removed from the whole spy thing with Ferrari it seems even more lucky that the FIA would let them walk.

The decision was quite sensible indeed.

Maybe Ron Dennis' absence from McLaren F1 has played a role in this. Monitoring the rulings of the FIA during the Dennis era and post-Dennis era and comparing those would be interesting in the years to come...

I would have charged them with some x00.000 $, just as a symbolical penalty.
    They aren't short of money, and those could have been turn to charity organization or something.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    They aren't short of money, and those could have been turn to charity organization or something.
    That doesn't fit with the cut-cost approach. This seems like a fair decision.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I think fine would have been easier. Does the job of slapping on the wrist after DQing them for that race, and get some money into the motorsport system in general...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

What exactly is this rule that they broke (151c)/what did they admit to have done?

I feel so out of the loop on F1 and LM this year, damnit.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

So if this means that the 3-race suspension may or may not be applied pending further investigation in the next 12 months, it'll prolong their uncertainty a few races into the 2010 season even?

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Hmmm, that seems a little biased to me, coming from an Italian
    Ferrari have their lobbyists everywhere, it seems...

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
    Hmmm, that seems a little biased to me, coming from an Italian
    Ferrari have their lobbyists everywhere, it seems...
    I swear, I don't care about Ferrari.
    Actually I don't like a lot of stuff going on here.

I'm so sick of F1 being decided in courts. The only people who should have anything to do with the outcome of an F1 race are the drivers and the engine builders.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    I'm so sick of F1 being decided in courts. The only people who should have anything to do with the outcome of an F1 race are the drivers and the engine builders.
    and chassis builders too

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ View Post
    What exactly is this rule that they broke (151c)/what did they admit to have done?
    151. Breach of rules
    Any of the following offences in addition to any offences specifically referred to previously, shall be deemed to be a breach of these rules :
    a) All bribery or attempt, directly or indirectly, to bribe any person having official duties in relation to a competition or being employed in any manner in connection with a competition and the acceptance of, or offer to accept, any bribe by such an official or employee.
    b) Any action having as its object the entry or participation in a competition of an automobile known to be ineligible therefor.
    c) Any fraudulent conduct or any act prejudicial to the interests of any competition or to the interests of motor sport generally.
    "Consider all things - the events of your past and the possibilities for tommorow.
    Let nothing stop you from becoming the architect of your future." - Nicholas Hill

But they couldn't redistribute the points....

I'm glad the geniuses at the FIA realized that throngs of Hambam fanboys would cross the channel and attack them if they actually had banned McLaren from three races.

I would hate to see Heikki dragged down by this.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Thread Information