Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My new car...

Aaah, didn't Esperanto have one of these? Does it have the wierd auto seat-belts?
    No pimp-stick shifter in this one?
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Cheers for the info and advice Nota and Charged. I was pretty suprised to see they made 141kw/190hp. Not a bad output at all, more than the Falcon of its time. Only the American version has the stupid auto seat-belts I think. I'll miss my pimp-stick shifter though!

and for the record IB4R, The Sigma would probably be just as bad if not worse on fuel than the Cressida. The Sigma was shocking!

Mate had one of these with a 7MGTE, made stupid amounts of power but you really do have to careful about keeping it cool and well maintained. The 7M is prolly the most fickle Toyota motor out there.
    The Datto will rage again...

love the cressies.

Go great.. and sideways *shady*
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Grats.

Think I've seen one of these floating around the school carpark.
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

You need to paint all the trim gold!
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

The gold, my friend, is what makes this JDM spec.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

My grandfather used to have one of these. Great car, but the transmission would hunt around as the engine was starving for some torque. A set of new wheels and lowered suspension really transform them though.
    I am the Stig

Went to check it out today. Its a repo and the interior is pretty dirty but will come up alright after a clean. The dealer is a bit of an asshole and reckons he has a better offer on it from someone else, I'm getting it checked out on Monday and if its mechanically sound and the other guy hasn't already taken it its mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach View Post
    Went to check it out today. Its a repo and the interior is pretty dirty but will come up alright after a clean.
    For trivia, a lot of cars have their seat upholstery simply glued on, directly onto the foam base. When steam cleaning, it can be quite easy to inadvertantly damage or even destroy this bond and you end up with loose upholstery. It can happens from either too much heat, or just too many steam-cleans
    The dealer is a bit of an asshole
    Pot / Kettle, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by dealer quotage
    HAPPY BIDDING , P.S IF YOUR A HARD PERSON TO DEAL WITH ETC DONT BID !!
    Over the years I've looked at quite a few these DOHC Cressidas, wondering about them as a semi-cheapie, although the possibility of expensive engine or trans repair has always deterred me. So I think you're very wise to get it thoroughly checked out before forking over your cash.

If the sale does fall through, just as a suggestion but seeing as you're considering automatics you might want to keep an eye out for a comparably specced Merc; eg the tough old W123 280 & 280E also has an inline DOHC Six with IRS etc but has fallen off the resale cliff and aren't worth much these days, and the following W124 300E is a bit of a closet rocketship.

Btw I noticed this big kahuna on the trademe site, not a cheap car to fuel or to maintain by any means, so not recommended. But on the face of it, that appears as quite a cheap price against vaguely comparable AU examples. There's a few of these locally which have been converted to gas and seem to go well.

Mercedes-Benz 560 SEL 1987 for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

The guy glossed over the cars condition big time in the ad. No mention of the grubby interior (pictures do very well to shadow out the back seat a bit which is filthy), broken aerial, paint chips, etc. Should've thought as much with the price but again wasn't told why it was so cheap (cause it was an as is where is repo job)

Merc would be nice but the only thing thats keeping mum from a heart attack over me buying a car this size is the fact its a Toyota! we know better ofcourse but know even better(er) than to argue with the old lady...That 560 is nice and would probably go on for a while yet but its first job would be taking my parents to the emergency ward...

Turns out its a bit of a dog...fairly serious rust problem, oil leaks and just in a pretty dodgy condition, so I'm not gunna buy it anymore. Got mums old car cause she's buying a new car soon so I'll just drive that till I find something good!

wise move mate.
    The Datto will rage again...

Certainly wouldn't mind one in good nick though. Was nice to drive, pretty powerful and very smooth.

Congrats.
    Looking the picture though I got confused. Just wondering when did the Cressida changed its name to Camry? I am sure your car was sold over here as a Camry.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information