Bernie Madoff is sentenced to 150 years in prison. I find it to be way too extreme for white collar crime even if he did exploit hundreds of billions.

Here is my reasoning:

The justice system in the US is incredibly flawed. Child molesters, pedophiles, and rapists get 6 months in some cases while a man who has swindled tons of naive investors gets 150 years. It clearly makes no sense. In comparison to a rapist getting 6 months, Madoff should get two weeks. I understand that he has ruined many people’s lives financially and I feel no sympathy for the man (he deserves punishment), but a con artist and a person who commits murder or sexual assault are polar opposites.

On another note, I do have some heartbreak for the victims as I can't imagine what kind of suffering many of them are going through. However, they do bare some responsibility. Investing with hedgies is almost the equivalent to playing Blackjack. Some of these people who invested with Madoff said 'hit me' on 2 tens (no split) with their life savings on the line. That's just complete stupidity and my remorse tends to dissipate on people who had just as much greed to gamble their life savings on funds that are notorious for busting really hard.