Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Need a New Car

The G8 should more than put up a fight to the mustang around a track, and definitely the brakes are not an issue.

even if they were AP bolt on kits are top stuff.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB-qxAqNnsY&feature=related"]YouTube - Vauxhall VXR8[/ame]

Jeremy Clarkson didn't seem to have much of a problem with the braking and cornering!

I'd probably go for the C5 Z06. The G8s are around 4000lbs, the Z around 3100. That, and the Z is much more suited for track use, eg. functional brake ducts front and rear, tight transmission with lower gearing, etc.
    Turning money into memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    I'd probably go for the C5 Z06. The G8s are around 4000lbs, the Z around 3100. That, and the Z is much more suited for track use, eg. functional brake ducts front and rear, tight transmission with lower gearing, etc.
    Yeah but you've got to get lucky to find one for much under $30,000, which is a little over his range.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Yea, I agree with that, I don't think I can find a nice Z06 for under 20 large, shame. The G8 weighs too much. It may have good brakes, but on tracks like Road America, Autobahn, and even Mid-Ohio, those brakes will be gone in two maybe three laps top. (Well, probably not Mid Ohio)

I'm thinking right now If I sell the R32, I'm probably going to get a Vette or another M3. E36 which I always have preferred to the E46.

But surely, you could buy a standard Corvette and fiddle with the suspension, brakes and engine to achieve something closer to a Z06 without having to pay for it?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Certainly, in fact, I would probably save a lot of money. Think about it, a standard Corvette, whether C5 or C6 is not far off performance wise then their respective ZO6 counterpart. With a fresh set of tires, set of Bilsteins, camber, some anti-roll bars, and maybe an uprated diff, you'd have your self a poor man's Z06.

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Yeah but you've got to get lucky to find one for much under $30,000, which is a little over his range.
    Not entirely correct. You can find 01/02 Z's with 60-70k mileage for low 20's around these parts. I found two that were right around $21k with more hovering at under $25k.
    Turning money into memories.

Yeah, but that's a bit more then I can or want to spend. And with that mileage and what I plan to do with it, I'm going to need a rainy day fund...

Corvettes

Heres the deal on corvettes. I was looking at them for a while and trying to hold around 20k or under.

You will be hard pressed to find a Z under 20k. The Z for the most part can be had with an engine tune and a little suspension work. Also changing out the rear end gears makes a huge difference.

Now most of the cars you will find will be fairly well taken care of because corvettes are usually mid life crisis cars, and are well taken care of. Maintainance wise, oil changes will be expensive, but most of the other parts are very common with the GM drivetrain. Tires also are very expensive, and there is no spare as the car is designed with run-flats in mind. Insurance is surprisingly cheap, or it was for me, with gas mileage on long trips being a reasonable 28-30 with stock gears.

Now I know that you want a fast fun car, and I know that feeling. I had the same idea, but really its not a good investment. I have moved to trying to find a car I can pay cash for and still be reasonably fun. I am probably down to GSX eclipse and miatas. That being said, I'm guessing you are still making payments on your R32, which really is going to provide the best of all worlds for your needs. Some space for moving stuff, fun on the track, upgradable for more fun on the track, and the ability to haul a couple friends around.

Then again I'm just some random dude on the interwebs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin McMahon View Post
    Heres the deal on corvettes. I was looking at them for a while and trying to hold around 20k or under.

You will be hard pressed to find a Z under 20k. The Z for the most part can be had with an engine tune and a little suspension work. Also changing out the rear end gears makes a huge difference.

Now most of the cars you will find will be fairly well taken care of because corvettes are usually mid life crisis cars, and are well taken care of. Maintainance wise, oil changes will be expensive, but most of the other parts are very common with the GM drivetrain. Tires also are very expensive, and there is no spare as the car is designed with run-flats in mind. Insurance is surprisingly cheap, or it was for me, with gas mileage on long trips being a reasonable 28-30 with stock gears.

Now I know that you want a fast fun car, and I know that feeling. I had the same idea, but really its not a good investment. I have moved to trying to find a car I can pay cash for and still be reasonably fun. I am probably down to GSX eclipse and miatas. That being said, I'm guessing you are still making payments on your R32, which really is going to provide the best of all worlds for your needs. Some space for moving stuff, fun on the track, upgradable for more fun on the track, and the ability to haul a couple friends around.

Then again I'm just some random dude on the interwebs.
    I paid for my car in cash upfront.

Also, to be honest, I'd rather not get a Z. It's like the E46 3 series. And even E92, for a lot less money, you can have a equal or better car (one modified), minus a shiny badge. Ultimately whatever I decide, whether it be a Yugo or an Enzo, I want it to be very stock, not owned by anyone under 38, and preferably low mileage. If I can't find a car that fits in those guidelines, then I'll just hang on to the R32 which has been great, only at several events this summer I've received offers of 25k and one for 27k prompting me to look into getting something different.

they offered you 27.000 $ for a regularly autoxed VW Golf R32?!
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Sorry by Z I meant Z06, sorry for the miscommunication. I suppose you could sell your car and buy or build a spec miata for course racing, and a truck to trailer it there.

Also if someone was offering you 27 for an 04, you might want to take their money before they realize they can get an 08 for the same price....

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    they offered you 27.000 $ for a regularly autoxed VW Golf R32?!
    That guy I don't actually think was serious. I'm in contact with a guy right now who offered 25 though. He watched me drive it in fact and offered it after. its literally still perfect minus the autocross and road track miles. I change the fluids after every other event, garage it every day, and wax it probably too much. The guy wants to collect a near perfect, low miles R32 and he said hes willing to pay for it. It just a matter of whether I want to sell it or not. I really like the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin McMahon View Post
    Sorry by Z I meant Z06, sorry for the miscommunication. I suppose you could sell your car and buy or build a spec miata for course racing, and a truck to trailer it there.

Also if someone was offering you 27 for an 04, you might want to take their money before they realize they can get an 08 for the same price....
    VW aficionados want the 04 much more then the 08. Trust me on that one. Hence why low mileage MKIVs grab as much as new MKVs on occasion.

Thread Information