Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automotive "Passenger Pigeons"

Automotive "Passenger Pigeons"

I found this subject on The Truth About Cars and I thought it would make for a good discussion. What cars can you think of that are "passenger pigeons"? What I mean by that is that the Passenger Pigeon was a species of bird that was once so common that their flocks spread for miles. However, they went extinct early in the 20th century.

So, what cars can you think of that were on every street corner just a couple of decades ago, that you couldn't find an example of today if your life depended on it?

Here are a few examples that I know of, so you can get my drift:

Chevrolet Celebrity - Throughout the 1980s it was one of the bestselling cars in America. Today, seeing one is a rare occurrence, even in junkyards. I see examples of its platform mates, the Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera and Buick Century - and even the odd Pontiac 6000 - still sputtering around all the time, but where the hell have all the Celebrities gone?

1978-1990 GM full-size station wagons - I remember seeing these wood-clad wagons all over the place when I was growing up, and now, they are nowhere to be seen. What is ironic though is that I see plenty of their sedan variants still on the road.

Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon - These things sold like hot cakes in the late 70s and early 80s, and I saw them all the time growing up. And now, it is next to impossible to find one.

Current cars that you think might fall into this category can also be mentioned. A few I can think of are:

1991-2000 Chrysler minivans - In the 90s, you couldn't turn your head without seeing three of these. Now, as their rubber-band transmissions continue to blow, these are popping up at junkyards at an alarming rate. Although the 1980s ones will forever be enshrined and preserved as their status as the first minivans and the Daimler built ones seem to have a better reliability record, I am sure that the 90s Chrysler minivans are just another few years of transmission eating away from ending up on the endangered list.

1986-2003 Ford Taurus - See above

1995-1999 Dodge Neon - Sold like they were going out of style in the 90s, now they are dropping like flies.

Fiat Uno and Tipo, they don't built as they used to.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Mitsubishi Sigma. Manufactured in Australia, popular and prolific, but now nowhere to be seen.....
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Renault 11. Best seller in the 80's, now a rare sight.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

first gen eclipses... havent seen one in ages.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    first gen eclipses... havent seen one in ages.
    They all either have been turned into rice-burners or are shells sitting in garages.

Quote Originally Posted by Runfromcheney View Post
    They all either have been turned into rice-burners or are shells sitting in garages.
    this is very true.. but they also had the reliability of a yugo.. my neighbor had one, and she had to replace the transmission at 60k miles. terrible car.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

You're not kidding about Chrysler minivans... was at the pay & pull last week and saw dozens of those things, and scores of decent looking '90s cars of every make turned in under cash for clunkers. There was a shiny row of Volvos all without engines, even a small group of Jags that had been "disabled" including two XJS's. Weird. One section of the yard held 30-40 Sebring convertibles. Guess the rental companies were clearing inventory.

Some of the older Japanese cars are becoming collectible, but some recent ones not seen lately are Toyota Supras and 3rd gen. Mazda RX7s. Neither were produced in big numbers so my guess is they're lurking in collections, awaiting market interest.

As to daily transports, '80s Subaru SVX, VW Jettas and Corrados, Porsche 944/968, Mercedes SECs of the '80s. Rarely see them anymore.

Also '80s Hyundai, Kia and Suzuki products, but there's good reason for them going the way of the Passenger Pigeon.

Which, BTW didn't simply go extinct... along with the Carolina Parakeet they were hunted into oblivion.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by Runfromcheney View Post
    Chevrolet Celebrity - Throughout the 1980s it was one of the bestselling cars in America. Today, seeing one is a rare occurrence, even in junkyards. I see examples of its platform mates, the Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera and Buick Century - and even the odd Pontiac 6000 - still sputtering around all the time, but where the hell have all the Celebrities gone?

1978-1990 GM full-size station wagons - I remember seeing these wood-clad wagons all over the place when I was growing up, and now, they are nowhere to be seen. What is ironic though is that I see plenty of their sedan variants still on the road.
    My friend had a celeberity as his first car. last year, we got pulled over in it and searched cause it matched the description of a get away car. great running car for 20 years. body was in pieces but the car ran well.

My parents had a 1988 Caprice Classic LS Brougham. Great car, i loved it. I miss it. It was a sedan and it ran well/

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Mitsubishi Sigma. Manufactured in Australia, popular and prolific, but now nowhere to be seen.....
    Parents also had a 1988 Mitsu Sigma. Nice little car with lots of features and buttons. Sadly i can't find any info or pics on it.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Fiat Uno and Tipo, they don't built as they used to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Renault 11. Best seller in the 80's, now a rare sight.
    My thoughts exactly, Unos for the most part, also 1st gen Clios, they almost vanished. I guess the 1st gen Punto his slowly desapearing to.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    Parents also had a 1988 Mitsu Sigma. Nice little car with lots of features and buttons. Sadly i can't find any info or pics on it.

My folks had a 1984 model. Turboooooooo.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

did it dose?
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Dodge Viper. The coolest thing to come from Chrylser will most definitely die unless some miracle at Fiat happens.

The Beetle and Mini!, they isn't seen so offend.

you very very rarely see an original mini on the roads. and if you do. you only realise how gigantic the standard of vehicle size has become. atleast around my area, plagued with Q5's and Range Rovers etc. Yet you get the impression its still 10x more fun than any of these.

Thread Information