Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Sport Auto Super Test of ZR1

Just had to read that whole thread
    MAN ... that's gotta hurt owners.

BUT, that's the way things are with modern cars.
    They are designed and manufactured to be the CHEAPEST price leaving the factory.
    So little regard is given any more on the basics like replacament, repairability and consequential damange/costs.

Look on the bright side, once the insurers cotton on and owners realise they'll be dumping these for pennines in the pound. THEN remove all that extraneous weight shit and keep it as a great track car.

Most modern cars in relatively small incidents end up uneconomic to repair once all those steering, dash, door, roof, side and seat airbags all deploy. Whole new interior needed and expensive to install - coz it was designed to be cheap to put together -- not take apart.

Seen a few RX-8s being written off by insurers and yet are perfectly salvagable and good cars -- but lacking all the safety gubbins can't pass any MOT/TuV tests

Liability issues abound too -- and why I suspect the NIssan struts are SO expensive.
    Imagine the lawsuit of one of those fails to fire and a passenger is criplled and can convince a jury that in a lawsuit to pay out millions ??
    So they will be built to NASA standards ( OK that's not such a good refernce point in recent decades -- but you know what I mean )

Again, been told that insurers run a mile if an RX-8 has side door damage JUST in case they miss on anything with the integrated safety hoop that locks together when the rear doors close.

I'm cetainly going to be scanning the salvage companies who buy up the insurance write-offs and see if I can get a half price GT-R
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    HP/L is most likely a measure of how much the engineers value size and mass in the car more than anything else.
    Not really as there ins't a consistent relationship.

Stress on the componnts has already been mentioned .. but most important in HIGH HP/L engines is the stress on the oil, lubrication, bearings and cooling. Momdern mechanical tolerance manufacturing means we can get to much highjer hp/l than in the past. So "recent" designs with fairly high hp/l arent' really stressing much other than the oil and coolling. Modern advances in those help, but wrt oil when you look at a high hp/l car you find it uses - BY DESIGN - more oil.

The debate's been had here many times. hp/l is an ENGIENERING measure that gives insight into the intent of the designer and how well they reach it.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    not dredging up another GTR vs world etc thread.

but goddamn!
    Accident: Don't do what I did.... - GT-R Register - Official Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum

looks like it will be a few years before parts prices drop, when more GTR's are in circulation. first post on page two is food for thought.
    Thanks for the article. I will admit that the cost of maintaining and repairing a GTR is where it fails to inspire anyone. For example, a complete brake job with rotors pads, etc, with OEM parts, cost as much as $3000. The spark plugs alone approach $300. If you then breal the transmission with the launch control mode, then you are in for a $50,000 repair job.

Buying a GTR is like buying a HP printer ink cartridge---you really pay for the ink when you need to replace the original ink cartridge the printer came with.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Prices are always higher than you think, however, I recently had to replace the rear bumper of the C5, which was just a tat over a 1000.
    Insurance Write-offs could be a handy way for clever do-it-yourself repairers to get a cheap super car...
    What?

A thousand for a rear bumper?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    What?

You didn't know it could be that expensive, huh?

I'm not that surprised, they are quite expensive since the introduction of parking sensors. Not that they make it more expensive to replace/design or something, it's their excuse for an even higher price than what it used to be.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    I'm not that surprised, they are quite expensive since the introduction of parking sensors. Not that they make it more expensive to replace/design or something, it's their excuse for an even higher price than what it used to be.
    I see. Like mirrors with indicators. Such a stupid idea.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Just had to read that whole thread
    MAN ... that's gotta hurt owners.

I'm cetainly going to be scanning the salvage companies who buy up the insurance write-offs and see if I can get a half price GT-R
    yeah, the disbelief expressed by some of them certainly seems justified.. as you say, if it was my GTR i'd just say to hell with it - not make an insurance claim, and make it a track car.
    Quote Originally Posted by G35COUPE View Post
    Buying a GTR is like buying a HP printer ink cartridge---you really pay for the ink when you need to replace the original ink cartridge the printer came with.
    that's actually pretty good lol
    What?

i thought we were getting ripped at $700 AUD for a complete right rear quarter panel on the GT3.. but i guess that is just that, simply a panel, nothing else to be replaced with it.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

The 1st Murcie I drove I was warned by the owner that crashing it would be expensive as his insurance didn't cover under 30s... He was under the impression a front bumper was about $20k, and a rear would run to about $30k as it normally removed the exhaust at the same time if you damaged it enough to require replacement.

Since then the AUD has climbed quite a bit compared to the Euro and so these prices may well have dropped
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

I could see the Corvette bumper cover being around $1000 to install in the US. I paid $500 to have a bumper cover sanded and painted (didn't replace the part). Of course I would also expect the state side repair to be cheaper than in Europe where the Corvette is a rare car. Here Corvettes aren't rare (though not truly common either). The parts can be had from competing dealers or used rather easily.

Of course by the same token I wouldn't expect that the 11,000 bp cost of the GTR repair would mean it would cost $20k or so in the US. I suspect some of that is dealers being dealers and charging what they think they can get away with rather than based on what things cost them.

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    I could see the Corvette bumper cover being around $1000 to install in the US. I paid $500 to have a bumper cover sanded and painted (didn't replace the part). Of course I would also expect the state side repair to be cheaper than in Europe where the Corvette is a rare car. Here Corvettes aren't rare (though not truly common either). The parts can be had from competing dealers or used rather easily.
    henk4 has actually a Citroën C5 not a Corvette C5.
    Visca Catalunya!

henk4 has actually a Citroën C5 not a Corvette C5.
    Oh, well I can't help in in that case

The moral of the story is, buy a pigeon passenger?

Thread Information