Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car Crash

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    t's not so much the elderly as actual middle aged drivers i meant
    You mean me (and henk4) do you?

i didn't want to come out and say it... but yes

haha on a serious note, whilst experience is a good thing, some of the things people seem to forget, say around ten years after their licence is pretty shocking. my own auntie has difficulties and gets nervous about reversing! had to make her get out so i could take over.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    i didn't want to come out and say it... but yes
    well guess what? from the little I know of you, Clutch, you're still within the age demographic of 'most at risk' drivers (much moreso than the safest 'middle age' category) and you also own a veritable fleet of those 'high-powered' cars that road-safety authorities like the police etc keep going on about being an unmitigated emperil to the community

maybe you should be retested on a regular basis?
    my own auntie has difficulties and gets nervous about reversing! had to make her get out so i could take over.
    My own dear Auntie; the most generous, loving, liberal-minded and dead-set beautiful person. And above all, gentle. In later life she used to belong to a benevolent association called 'compassionate friends' who go out as volunteers to console and counsel the bereaved. A worthy activity in which she excelled.

Her car ownership history was a now-ancient Ford Popular (the narrow ones) then Austin 1800 Mk1, a Hillman Grunter, then Fiat 132 before Camira JE and finally a Corolla. Never a 'good' driver per se and always a worry for me to ride with, although no major accidents, but a few years after she got the (near new) Hunter we began to notice all these minor bingles starting to appear around the circumference of her vehicles - lots of small marks and dents such as progressively mangled bumpers & panels, typically on the corners where she 'misjudged' during parking, and an increasing litany of 'speed stripes' and deranged trim down the sides of the car.

One day I remarked on the first (of many) 'personalisations' that began to blight her new Camira, to which she sheepishly admitted, yet defiantly insisted was not her fault. Turns out that a fellow member at the compassionate-friends carpark had boxed her in, and the only way for her to get out was to 'push' the offending vehicle out of the way! Was this the compassionate-friends philosophy, I wondered silently to myself? God I laughed !!
    Last edited by nota; 01-19-2010 at 07:11 PM.

I strongly believe all drivers need re-testing to renew their licences.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    I'd be up for it. Seriously, it's not really that hard.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    if you genuinely believe that, have you resolved to get yourself retested when you renew your license?

I'll let you know how that goes in 4 and a half years
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Its a while ago now but I do remember reading a statistic on the elderly which said that those who 'had a fall' and broke their hip (very common occurance to old people) in Oz would on average die within the next two years. Similarly another set of numbers related that aged persons whom either surrendered or had their license removed from them typically survived only another three years. These figures were before the comparitively recent onslaught of those 4-wheeled scooters, but it does highlight how crucial to the elderly among us, is the concept of independance of life, and with it independant mobility.
    This, and the rest of the post. When I was in Perth we got my grandpa a mobility scooter thing, just a basic basic one for him to get around in his new place (retirement village type thing) and he's loving it. He can't really drive anymore, but now that he has this he doesn't have to. It was so nice to see him getting down to the clubhouse and meeting all the new people there. The good ol' shoprider is a wonderful thing.

Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Retesting is only good if you have a driving test along with it. Rules are easy to follow, and most youth can pass the written test with ease,, yet they struggle with the driving test.

I passed the driving test first shot, and then walked in and failed the written test by 2. In frustration at knowing the road rules i stupidly tested again and failed. Walked back one week later and aced it.
    IT'S OFFICIAL. I'M A SUZUKI KIZASHI SPORT FAN-BOY.

what stops me from buying this over a XR6 SV6 ?. drive-train. place a little wrx evo magic under the bonnet and i'm sold!.

well guess what? from the little I know of you, Clutch, you're still within the age demographic of 'most at risk' drivers (much moreso than the safest 'middle age' category)
    unfortunately my insurance company agrees with you
    veritable fleet of those 'high-powered' cars that road-safety authorities like the police etc keep going on about being an unmitigated emperil to the community
    77hp, 200hp, and 250hp! monsters!
    being largely classic means the police and general public have a much more positive image towards those cars.. not seen as some young lout in a nissan!
    maybe you should be retested on a regular basis?
    i drive on QLD roads; i get tested every day
    rather than single out any single age group, which could be said to be unfair, if everyone got retested every ten years i'd be fine with getting myself tested... refreshing road rules you've forgotten because you never come across certain situations in your area, can only be a good thing!
    My own dear Auntie; the most generous, loving, liberal-minded and dead-set beautiful person. And above all, gentle. In later life she used to belong to a benevolent association called 'compassionate friends' who go out as volunteers to console and counsel the bereaved. A worthy activity in which she excelled.

Her car ownership history was a now-ancient Ford Popular (the narrow ones) then Austin 1800 Mk1, a Hillman Grunter, then Fiat 132 before Camira JE and finally a Corolla. Never a 'good' driver per se and always a worry for me to ride with, although no major accidents, but a few years after she got the (near new) Hunter we began to notice all these minor bingles starting to appear around the circumference of her vehicles - lots of small marks and dents such as progressively mangled bumpers & panels, typically on the corners where she 'misjudged' during parking, and an increasing litany of 'speed stripes' and deranged trim down the sides of the car.

One day I remarked on the first (of many) 'personalisations' that began to blight her new Camira, to which she sheepishly admitted, yet defiantly insisted was not her fault. Turns out that a fellow member at the compassionate-friends carpark had boxed her in, and the only way for her to get out was to 'push' the offending vehicle out of the way! Was this the compassionate-friends philosophy, I wondered silently to myself? God I laughed !!
    LOL
    riding with my auntie is an exercise in frustration; she gets flustered easily and can panic, often zooming straight past the turnoff required etc etc.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    Damn straight.. if he upgrades to a bigger unit I'm nicking the old one and doing that to it!

On a serious note.

The only thing that would have been different if this guy had been retested on his license was that he would have either driven without one or with a suspended one.

There are some people who you can attempt to control all you like, the only way to stop them is to physically restrict them from driving.

I was discussing this with my father earlier tonight (a late baby-boomer who of course insists he's never had any drama driving) that a lot of the road safety message being pumped out these days is not nearly as effective on the younger generation as those in power think it is.

For the past 20 years the TAC et al have been releasing those crash ad's talking about the horrors of drink/high/sleep/speed driving and it's consequences, but those horrors (and this is a callous thing to say) don't particularly affect young drivers. They're desensitised to these things - a brilliant example is the recent death of two teens here in the ACT, including the sister of a Girl I went to highschool with. Within a week her friends were driving like morons again. Indeed she lost her licence for speeding.

Young people are designed to push boundaries and chemically wired to take risks.

The best way to affect behaviour is to extol consequences that hit people where it hurts. Remove a hoons licence and watch as the girl he was going to take home laughs as he suggests they take the bus....

Of course thats not effective either, because you get those select morons who drive without plates, registration or roadworthy certificates....
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

maybe cash incentives. discounted rego if you remain offence free... i would have driven like an angel if i'd had an incentive like that on my P's.

This sort of thing doesn't work as an incentive to careful drivers, it needs to work as a deterrant to the crap ones.

I just realised the solution is simple - Ban Chrome Wheels.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Thread Information