Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Crash

Car Crash

There was a car crash in Victoria (south east Australia) the other day. 5 teenagers died and 1 survived. The driver, a 19yo, was doing 140km/h (88mph) in an 80km/h (50mph) zone. Crashed into a tree and uprooted the tree. The car span around the tree and landed on the car.

R.I.P to all that died, but this shows how speeding can kill. The driver was only allowed to have 1 passenger and had 5 (total of 6 people in a car that is legally allowed to have 5), had speeding fines and as well as his car was unregistered.

The car is a wreck, and shows how speeding can be very, very dangerous and should be confined to controlled situations on a race track.

Dead P-plater may have been drinking - News - 7pm Project
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

Rules and laws are always for other people.
    RIP for those who fell victim to this idiot, but I assume they knowingly and willingly joined him in the car.

P.S: Your message makes your signature a bit less funny.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Henk4, they knowingly joined him in th car but may not have known about it being unregistered or going to go that fast, even when told to slow down.

Case in point, someone I know was doing a claimed 180km/h in a 50km/h zone and tried to go round a corner (90 degree) at about 80km/h and crashed into a house. Luckily no one was hurt. His friend was telling him to slow down and he wouldn't.

What I am trying to say is that passengers may think the driver will do the right thing and they don't and wont stop when asked to.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by acfsambo View Post
    Henk4, they knowingly joined him in th car but may not have known about it being unregistered or going to go that fast, even when told to slow down.

Case in point, someone I know was doing a claimed 180km/h in a 50km/h zone and tried to go round a corner (90 degree) at about 80km/h and crashed into a house. Luckily no one was hurt. His friend was telling him to slow down and he wouldn't.

What I am trying to say is that passengers may think the driver will do the right thing and they don't and wont stop when asked to.
    The link you added talks about a P-license. Now I have no idea what it means, but there seem to be some limitations attached to it, like the number of passengers he was allowed to carry. As he had five on board in a five seater car, some people were already taking risks. There is every reason to believe that the driver may have tried to show off, but putting a group of youngsters in a car often results in actions that overstep the capabilities of the driver. Sadly this happens everywhere in the world and it leaves families ruined, but it is not going to ever stop.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The story behind this is a sad tale of a litany of bad decisions causing the deaths of five people.

The driver had a history of speeding fines, and the car was unregistered, and the driver himself was only licensed to carry one passenger. He had five passengers, plus himself, in the car. One poor girl survived the crash by being shielded by her brother.

Two of his passengers had organised other transport for the evening, that had fallen through. They didn't trust his driving. People tried to stop the driver from leaving the party.

This is a brilliant example of bulletproof youth doing stupid things, and it's night on impossible to legislate against people who blatantly don't follow the rules anyway.

The Driver was an absolute moron and while I feel for his family he plainly had no respect for human life.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

on the one hand this should make P platers shut the hell up about the rules for new drives; but on the other it shows arbitrary rules or restrictions do **** all if people are willing to at outside the rules
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey

but on the other it shows arbitrary rules or restrictions do **** all if people are willing to at outside the rules
    Yep, eleven people died on the roads in my region (Australian Capital Territory) in 2009, being eight motorists and three pedestrians. Seven of the eight motoring fatalities were related to exessive alcohol consumption, while amazingly three of those eight dead chose not to wear seatbelts (despite compulsary useage).

Major road crashes typically involve more than one cause, be it a combination of excessive booze, speed, inexperience, bad weather, etc. However, deduced from the above stats it would appear that there is one common and overriding factor in almost all of the above deaths, which can be summed up in one word:

'attitude'

The lack of commiting to an attitude to NOT drive or be a passenger when excessive alcohol is in play, or cavalier driving, or reckless speed, or blithe inexperience. The lack of commitment to self-preservation by not even bothering to wear your bloody seatbelt ffs !!

Btw regarding this particular thread-topic crash in Victoria, I notice the Assistant Police Commisioner (among others) has emotively described the vehicle as 'high-powered' although it has identical power to a typical Oz fleet or rental car and indeed is closely comparable to your everyday taxicab. But it was really the vehicle's fault, eh? And especially so its 'high-power' (atmo-6cyl Falcon sedan)

Using their logic it's a High-Powered, Unregistered S**t Heap.

Despite it being a much safer vehicle than nearly 40% of whats on the road (driver excluded, obviously.)

Maybe it's a matter of oversaturation - We've all seen the deadly consequences of a road smash thanks to ads like the TAC keep putting out, but people still keep driving. and often poorly.

The only way that fundamental change will occur on the road is if it becomes harder to get a license - and even then most of the people who crash will likely be under suspension or worse, unlicenced.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Driving is a priviledge that far too many people take for granted. I'm not really sure what specifically can be done to change that, but it seems something has to be.

i agree its not the car who kills but the person behind the wheel. honestly 88mph is not even that fast. the car looks to be a BMW, BMW's are incredibly stable. The driver needs to judge if his vehicle can handle that speed. a teen can get very overzealous and their ego acts accordingly creating these macho situations. don't drink and drive
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Near the middle of the middle of middle England.
    It's a good thing he only hit a tree, another car would've been truly awful.
    Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    i agree its not the car who kills but the person behind the wheel. honestly 88mph is not even that fast. the car looks to be a BMW, BMW's are incredibly stable. The driver needs to judge if HE can handle that speed. a teen can get very overzealous and their ego acts accordingly creating these macho situations. don't drink and drive
    Fixed.
    While, I don't give a **** if you can handle that speed, don't do that while I'm around, which means, don't do that out of a track or a private property. My mother is freaking scared when a cat crosses the street, i'd suppose that a 180 km/h BMW could potentially make her do something stupid like over reacting and end out of the road.

3 or so years ago, the son of a doctor, friend of my father, came out with her car. She was licensed since I think e years.
    There were 5 people in the car, a new Ford Fiesta, previous gen that is. No one knows why, but they handled the key to the younger, just 18, who was still practising at that time, he already did the theory exam, not the driving one (we have both).

The car crashed against a tree, doing about 70 km/h at the time of the impact. 4 out of 5 died, the girl I think survived with major injuries.
    They were just too young to know how large that stupid move was, but I think we can all assume the younger driver didn't steal the key of the car forcing the other to get in the car, neither he was speeding (by the rules).

Shit happens even when going slowly, speeding doesn't improve safety though. Knowing what you're doing within the limits can save you, perhaps not always, but pretty often.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Wow. Thats is terrible. Young people like me can be so stupid thats for sure let alone not think of the consequences. And the way the Bimmer looks, it ain't pretty.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

The problem with making it harder to get a licence is that these people will just drive without a licence. If he was willing to drive his car unregistered, we probably would risk not having a licence.

Quote Originally Posted by acfsambo View Post
    The problem with making it harder to get a licence is that these people will just drive without a licence. If he was willing to drive his car unregistered, we probably would risk not having a licence.
    Isn't there any form of law enforcement down-under?

Thread Information