Thread: The All American Computer Build of 2010

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The All American Computer Build of 2010

Redirecting this from the Recent Purchases thread, my original post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Budget over a few months: $900-1100

What I want to do mainly: It doesn't necessarily have to handle FarCry at 100 FPS but if a good pc game comes out that requires a solid machine to handle it, I want to be able to play it. I deal with a lot of multimedia but that will probably be covered if it'll handle higher-end pc games. To put it simply, I want a higher-end rig, not a top-of-the-line "holy shit guys check out my spec sheet overclockeddddd!!" computer

What I was thinking, just a rough sketch of this I guess:

- Quad-Core processor, last I cared I preferred AMD over Intel but I can definitely use some advice in this department
    - 8 GB RAM, should I go DDR3 (not sure of the prices) or am I OK going with ddr2?
    - HDD I think I'll go with 2 drives. The primary being 160 GB, or 320 depending on how the budget works out but must be a high speed drive. I forgot the exact speed but I think they run at 9600 RPM? (versus 5400 IIRC) The secondary drive will prob be 500GB or so and will only serve as storage space. I also have a 750 GB external sitting around collecting dust
    - Video Card/Sound Card I would like to be on the higher-end of the spectrum, again.. not top of the line but something that offers good bang for my buck. My limit for video/sound cards would probably be $300 combined.
    - Drives aren't too important. I guess 2 5.25" disc drives and a multi-whatever its called bay with card readers and such. Forgot the name of it. DVD-RW necessary, was thinking about BluRay but I'll hold off on that.
    - Motherboard I'm pretty much clueless on and will definitely require some help with
    - Peripherals like mouse/keyboard/monitor/speakers/printer/webcam I'm ok with, already have most of those to begin with.
    - Operating system will be Windows 7
    - I'll need help with buying cables, fans, thermal gels, and such

Yep, I guess that's all. I don't want to bottleneck anything so all parts should be pretty equal in their respective level of performance

Cheers
    The same pretty much still applies, but I got to thinking about buying a SSD instead of the conventional HDD. I would hold off on this until the last part of the build a few months down the road but even then I think they're too expensive. My best bet I think would be to buy a case that has SSD install bays and just buy one a year later when it's half the price.

I figured the first thing I'd buy is the case. Any recommendations? Budget is roughly $100 for the case. I want something that looks good, has good ventilation, and offers a decent amount of expandability/flexibility with drive bays and ports.

EDIT: Don't want anything uber-flashy, example shown below relates to what I'm looking for. A plexiglass window in the side of the case would be nice so I can get aroused to the LEDs inside while reading my system specs at night.

Last edited by Rockefella; 03-02-2010 at 01:09 PM.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Thread Information