Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The skies of Europe are quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    I am not sure what you mean by two figures of speech.

Also, it is not just loss of thrust that is an issue (although I agree can be a big one). The ash can accelerate wear/damage on the engine causing it to fail sooner than expected (i.e. before a regular maintenance interval), or so I have read.

As well there are numerous other concerns about the ash as written about last week by AviationDaily:
    The numbers you put up earlier is just figure of speech, not real statistics, therefore they can not be put up in a way as you do.

Another update, guys. All german airports are now open, even the night flight restrictions have gone. But i don't expect this to hold on that long as the next ash cloud is already coming. So if you need to fly somewhere, do it NOW.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

^^^ UNLESS you're hoping to be able to fly BACK from that "somewhere"

Spectacular footage from above the volcanic crater on MSN Video

See lightning and also the rock ejections from the ash cloud - spectacular.

I loved the "the pilot is confident" while the reporter is clearly bricking it

Radar track added ... Getting busier
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 04-21-2010 at 04:43 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post

Isn't the helicopter turbine powered?

How's it still flying? Or was this the beginning of the eruptions?

The reporter was confirming with the pilot that as they were staying NORTH of the volcano then the wind was keeping them "safe". Ironically Iceland's airport has stayed open as it's North of the volcano
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Well my sister made it to her destination - only took her 4 days longer than she thought

Problem is now the Groom's Family is still stuck in Australia waiting to take off - QANTAS is still not flying to europe to ease the backlog they have for existing customers....
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Mate stuck in Malta till 4th MAY

The reporter was confirming with the pilot that as they were staying NORTH of the volcano then the wind was keeping them "safe". Ironically Iceland's airport has stayed open as it's North of the volcano
    It's "annoying" that so little of Island is effected by this eruption, and Europe just get all the shit! (meant sarcastic)

As has been suggested , they're getting their own back on the British and Dutch for trying to get the money back from failed banks.

There was a beautiful quote I nicked from somewhere;

"It was the last wish of the Icelandic economy that its ashes be spread over Europe"
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Wow.. amazing stuff

Most people got/will go home by airplane today. Poor people that rented cars yesterday for thousands of km trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Brix View Post
    The numbers you put up earlier is just figure of speech, not real statistics, therefore they can not be put up in a way as you do.
    Yes...they were just figure of speech to make a point, I don't see a problem with that. Feel free to substitute the numbers with real statistics, I don't have that information, the point I was trying to make is the same.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    Yes...they were just figure of speech to make a point, I don't see a problem with that. Feel free to substitute the numbers with real statistics, I don't have that information, the point I was trying to make is the same.
    Real numbers or not, it's the fact you put two figures of speech up against each other, which is wrong.
    Just because volcanic ash makes it 1000 times more dangerous doesn't mean that it's "only" 1 out of 1000 of crashing! (using our "maths"), it's more likely that a plane flying thru the ash has a 1/1000 chance of NOT crashing!

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    There was a beautiful quote I nicked from somewhere;

"It was the last wish of the Icelandic economy that its ashes be spread over Europe"
    Dear United Kingdom and European Union:

In response to your recent demands that we send cash immediately, please note the Icelandic Alphabet does not contain the letter "C". We have complied with your request as best as our language allows. It was not easy, but we have done all we can to conjure up a volcano at will to spew tons of ash. Please consider our debt paid in full.

Respectfully yours,
    Iceland

Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

I like the one going around here that the UK were fed up and intended to send a note demanding immediate CASH , but a typo occurred in the e-mail.

Thread Information