Thread: Lexus LFA Test Driver Killed in Germany

Lexus LFA Test Driver Killed in Germany

Autoblog is reporting that chief Toyota test driver Hiromu Naruse, Godfather of the LFA and Akio Toyoda's personal hotshoe, has been killed in an accident involving a Lexus LFA Nurburgring Special Edition after colliding with two BMW test drivers. Naruse has worked with Toyota since 1963 and knows the area around the Nurburgring intimately.

BREAKING: Toyota's chief test driver dies behind wheel of LFA in Germany — Autoblog

Lexus LFA Test Driver Reportedly Killed in Crash in Germany - Wide Open Throttle - Motor Trend Magazine
    2005 Victory Red Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab
    2002 Concord Purple Harley Sportster 883XLC

"I think the Vietnam war is nothing more than the white people sending the black people to fight the yellow people in order to secure a nation stolen from the red people"-Anonymous

UCP's Biggest Chevrolet Corvette fan.

that's so terrible, especially since he was such a relic to both Toyota and the automotive world. I wonder how it happened that that there could be a head-on collision on the Nurburgring. If you don't mind, could someone who speaks German give the rest of us a short synopsis of what the rescue worker said in the video?

Quote Originally Posted by demonrunning07 View Post
    that's so terrible, especially since he was such a relic to both Toyota and the automotive world. I wonder how it happened that that there could be a head-on collision on the Nurburgring. If you don't mind, could someone who speaks German give the rest of us a short synopsis of what the rescue worker said in the video?
    I agree. He sounded like a living legend in Japanese auto lore. FWIW the collision did not occur at the Ring. It happened on a highway near there. 410 I think it was.

"I think the Vietnam war is nothing more than the white people sending the black people to fight the yellow people in order to secure a nation stolen from the red people"-Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by demonrunning07 View Post
    It is pretty sad. At least the BMW test drivers managed to survive.

It could have been a failure in the car, but I think at this stage of testing and at his age it's probably more likely that he had a medical problem which caused him to lose control. I'm sure the investigators will figure it out soon enough.

Anybody know what the BMW drivers were testing?
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

The one thing that REALLY makes me sad about this accident is that one of the drivers was actually the father of the LFA- Toyotas best test driver. It's a bit like getting killed by your own creation. BTW, is there any information about the cause of the crash?
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

No information that I've found other than what I posted. I read the Lexus veered into the path of the BMW. My assumption is that he was flogging the car at a pretty good rate of speed and came through the turn at a blind angle and simply had no time/room to correct his position in the roadway.

hmmm, i never was a fan of the LFA. curse from the get go? i guess the LFA's drivers age had a play in why he did not survive. Or is it the engineering of the BMW?
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    Anybody know what the BMW drivers were testing?
    Looks like a standard restyled 3 Series.

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    hmmm, i never was a fan of the LFA. curse from the get go? i guess the LFA's drivers age had a play in why he did not survive. Or is it the engineering of the BMW?
    His driving abilities appereared to be well over the average a few month ago at the first test drive of the LFA at the Homestead track, so I guess the only problem with his age could be that his body couln't sustain the stress of the accident.

Regardless, this is the fourth test driver or company's employer who lost it's life in the last few months. Sad news indeed, even if far worse things are happening out there each second.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

He was also the father of the 2000GT.

Rest in peace.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I read an article in one of my car magazines recently extolling the virtues of this quiet, talented and humble man. May he rest in peace.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Sad news indeed. But at least he lived till a fairly good age of 67, and died doing a job he loves, in one of the most desirable cars on the planet.

R.I.P. Hiromu Naruse
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    The one thing that REALLY makes me sad about this accident is that one of the drivers was actually the father of the LFA- Toyotas best test driver. It's a bit like getting killed by your own creation. BTW, is there any information about the cause of the crash?
    Oh, the Irony...

Seriously though, its pretty sad, and to think he could've done so much more with Toyota
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

He seemed to have been quite important in creating some of Toyota's more interesting cars for the past half century.

RIP

The Hiromu Naruse Honor Roll : 7Tune.com
    Last edited by f6fhellcat13; 06-24-2010 at 06:12 PM.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Thread Information