Thread: Alvis 4.3 Litre 1937-1940

Alvis 4.3 Litre 1937-1940

Alvis 4.3 Litre #1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Albert, where did you get this picture and do you know how old it is?
    What is attached is a replica of Chassis 14817, a short chassis VandenPlas Tourer, of which 12 were built and 11 are known to have survived. (I don't know whether the original 14817 is no longer with us, and which chassis number this one has or that it is total replica). The replica was mady by Red Triangle the British company that deals with the restoration of old Alvises.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I got it from Serious Wheels Classic, Sports & Muscle Car Pictures. I believe it is a new picture, altough I don't know if the car is from the period or not.

Apparently, Red Triangle are planning on making new 4.3 Litre Alvises based on the old drawings.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I got it from Serious Wheels Classic, Sports & Muscle Car Pictures. I believe it is a new picture, altough I don't know if the car is from the period or not.

Apparently, Red Triangle are planning on making new 4.3 Litre Alvises based on the old drawings.
    I think we have the same car here, my shots were taken at the Goodwood Festival of Speed 2009 where RT showed a couple of more cars, but were not yet referring to the story in your article, where they sort justify that they can make more replicas.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

here is another one of the 12 VdP SSTourers.

The 4.3 litre (SA, SB & SC 31.48) came out in 1937, following on from the 3½ Litre. Two chassis lengths were offered, with wheelbases of 10'7" (same as the 3½ Litre) and 10'4" (same as the Speed 25).

The engine was similar to the Speed 25, but with the bore increased to 92 mm for 4387 cc and 137 bhp. This unit was very powerful, but had lost some of the smoothness of the Speed 25. Centralised chassis lubrication was retained, but additions included the DWS (Donald Sessions & Co) built-in hydraulic jacking system and a Clayton Dewandré vacuum brake servo. This last named was a welcome addition, nowadays the mind boggles at the thought of stopping a laden weight of over two tons from 100 mph with cable operated drum brakes powered by foot pressure only!

A variety of different coachwork adorned this superb chassis: Charlesworth did the standard saloon and drophead coupé, but van den Plas made a pillarless saloon and some dropheads. Offord also made a series of dropheads. Many other coachbuilders made one-offs. One of the most sought after Alvises is the van den Plas tourer on the short chassis. Only twelve of these were made, and eleven survive today - in fact all the bodies survive, one having been mounted on another chassis after an accident.

There are also some replicas - caveat emptor! Maximum speed was 105 mph in this form, and under test 0 - 60 mph was achieved in 11.3 seconds.
    Neat and purposeful, the short chassis 4.3 van den Plas tourer was one of the greatest achievements of the pre-war British motor industry. Even the vast Charlesworth saloon 4.3 Litre would exceed 100. For many, the 3½ Litre/Speed 25/4.3 Litre cars represent the peak of Alvis' car-building achievements. Total 4.3 production numbered nearly 200 examples. It is fascinating to speculate on what direction development might have taken had not war intervened, or if post-war conditions had favoured re-introduction of some of these models.

Source: Alvis Cars - Alvis Owner Club
    Visca Catalunya!

Alvis 4.3 Litre #5
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information