Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your personal car history

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post your personal car history

I thought it would be fun to see what everybody's personal car history is.

Put up some details like years you owned it, model year and pictures of course!

My personal car history is far from impressive, but that is not important in this thread. Luckily the odds changed finally in 2012 with a brilliant purchase :-)

1: 1991 Toyota Starlet 1.3 XLi
    Owned 1999-2000

2: 1994 Opel Astra 1.6i
    Owned 2000-2001

3: 1999 Ford Fiesta 1.3i
    Owned 2001-2010

4: 2008 Renault Twingo 1.2 Authentique
    2008-present

5: 1999 Ford Ka 1.3i
    2010-2012

EDIT:

6: 2008 Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 Twin Spark Business Pro
    2012-present
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 03-31-2012 at 02:50 PM.

Daily Drivers:
    1. 1998 Nissan Sentra
    2006-2007
    2. 2000 GMC Sierra 4x4 ext cab
    2007-2009
    3. 2006 VW GLI
    2009-Present
    Classics:
    1972 Chevrolet Chevelle, 350 auto
    1970+1974 MG Midget
    1959 Chevrolet El Camino
    1972 Plymouth Duster
    1966 Ford Galaxie 7 Litre

Not to bad for 22 me thinks.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Car 1 - 1991 Nissan Silvia - First car!
    18 months of incredible shenanigans and horrible, horrible reliability.

Car 2 - 1990 Toyota Celica SX - Car 1 not reliable enough! Enter Car 2!
    2 years of faithful service without major hiccup.

Car 3 - 1985 BMW 323i - Car 2 begining to die, Shuffled it along before major damage to my wallet occured.

Car 3 8 days after purchase.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Car 3 - 1985 BMW 323i - Car 2 begining to die, Shuffled it along before major damage to my wallet occured.

Car 3 8 days after purchase.
    [/QUOTE]

how did you mannage that?

Looks like you need to break out of your routine, MoS!

Here is my rather short history

1: 1997 Fiat Coupe 2,0
    Owned 2005-2008

2: 2006 Fiat Grande Punto 1,4
    Owned 2008-present

3: 1984 Saab 900 Turbo 16 Aero (that is SPG for you colonials)
    Owned 2009-present

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Looks like you need to break out of your routine, MoS!
    Within a year, if everything goes according to plan, I will aquire a more sporty ride.

Problem is I can never stick to one car I like. So today it may be this for sure and within a month it could be a completely different car.

I was obsessed by Alfa GT for a few months, but I read things I didn't like about the 2.0 JTS petrol engine. 3.2 V6 is not really suitable as a daily driver. Still utterly beautiful car though.

May end up with a styly 'hot hatch', don't know. Whatever it will be, it will definitely have more then 75 hp (which would set me a new personal record)!
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 02-11-2011 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    I was obsessed by Alfa GT for a few months, but I read things I didn't like about the 2.0 JTS petrol engine
    What it was that you didn't like about 2,0 JTS?

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    What it was that you didn't like about 2,0 JTS?
    I read a lot about the 2.0 JTS engine on Alfa Romeo forums and site from Dutch tuner (Squadra Tuning, an independent tuner specialized in Alfa Romeo). Learned that JTS (Jet Thrust Stoichiometric) is a form of direct fuel injection. I 'borrowed' some text to explain the issue with this engine in more detail to all the tech-guys here.

The injector is no longer mounted but before the inlet valve into the cylinder. A disadvantage is, when an injection before the inlet valve is mounted gives a flushing effect of the fuel intake valve. They therefore remain pretty clean. When this cleansing effect disappears, there will be an accumulation of debris which caused the passage of the inlet channel will eventually decrease.

It is no exception that the engine will "sludge" and will lose its performance.

Plus: The 2.0 engine should produce 165 hp, which is not extremely fast for 1.295 kg but will certainly do the job. Squadra Tuning tested 10 vehicles however and they were all measured at 142 to 146 hp, 20 hp less (!) then which is promised. Also the torque was measured 25 Nm less. I am not willing to say that you would immediately feel the difference in daily traffic (I also have low standards), but this was really a let-down for me as I feel that 165 hp is really the minimum for such a car. This, combined with the possible contamination issues, make me in doubt to opt for that version.

This is a known issue with the JTS engines, which are also used since 2000 on Alfa 156, Spider and GTV models. It also means the engine consumes more oil (the exact use is mentioned in the manual), but to be honest I don't care for that.

On the other hand, the problems seem to be less with models after 2004, as some modifications have been done. There are also owners which have the car for years without any issues. But... If you had the money, would you take the risk?

Off course, the 3.2 V6 is a different type of engine and doesn't have these issues (and a healthy 240 hp - measured). It also has a wonderfull V6 exhaust note (check Youtube). To me it is the ultimate combination of power and beauty, and the purchase should be affordable. However using it as a daily driver... Don't know. Fuel consumption is 1:6 (if you're lucky) and gas prizes are approx. Eur 1,65/liter today. Me and my misses still like going on Holidays once in a while...
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 02-11-2011 at 08:16 AM.

But... If you had the money, would you take the risk?
    Yes I would. The fact is that every brand and model has its fair share of problems.

I assume that you are looking second hand car here, so the REAL risk lies the previous owner. There are plenty of cars for sale which have full service history and bone dry oil dipstick.

Let's give it a go too:

Late 2006 - early 2008:
    1996 Suzuki Alto 1.0
    It started to get problems, so I sold it and got:
    2000 Ford Fiesta 1.3

Unfortunately in December of 2009 it was declared totalled after two hefty crashes. The first was because of 'enthousiastic driving' and the second was a collision on the motorway. Accident happened in front, I braked just in time, but got a nudge from behind. Damnit.

At the same time I owned this fun-machine for 8 or 9 months:
    A 1983 Suzuki Alto Mk.1 0.8L Automatic.

After the first crash I decided to save up for a fast ride. Sold the classic and after crash #2 the Fiesta too. With this money I bought my next red-monster:

A Ford Puma 1.7l 16V VCT

And now I am slowly starting to save up for my next ride; a Lotus Elise Mk.1
    Last edited by drakkie; 02-11-2011 at 05:51 AM.

From what I can deduce from this so far, Australia and America are the best places to buy cars.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

What the hell happened with the BMW - Were you OK?

What the hell happened with the BMW - Were you OK?
    Sore ribs and bruising were the only true issues.

I got T-Boned by a girl speeding.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    From what I can deduce from this so far, Australia and America are the best places to buy cars.
    Correct. You don't pay ridiculous prices for purchase, gas, insurance and road tax.

If you would ask my car-heart, of course I would drive a big V8 instead of an econobox.

KiwiTT's Galant Story - 4 Galants in all

I was a late starter, regarding driving. Getting my licence at 25/26.

1978 Galant GSL
    (bought 1988 - 10 years old)
    (sold 1994 - 6 years ownership)

I started looking for our first car. I really liked the look of the 1980's Toyota Corolla T-18 Coupe. Couldn't really find a decent one. A colleague of mine showed me a bright orange 1978 Galant GSL. Wasn't sure about the colour, but it was nice to drive. Rear-wheel drive and automatic. We then bought this car for $7,000 in 1988.

It was so clean, and sharp for an old car, no scratches on the paintwork, but the tyres were mismatched. I changed the original 165s for 185/70 tyres. These were wider then the originals and made the car feel much better. I even detailed the Dunlop lettering in white paint as the "goodrich" tyres to give it a more racy look. We had this car still, when we got married in 1990 and then transferred to Wellington for a promotion. Still loved the car and drove it up and down to Auckland to see family 3-4 times a year, stopping in Taupo for a break. (The Motels there had in-room mineral spas, great to relax the the tired bones). Did this for at least 4 years. In that time I had replaced the shocks (Made minimal difference in the handling).

It was not really that fast. Up hill it could only manage 80kph (50mph) foot flat to the floor getting out of Wellington. However it could cruise quite nicely at 100kph, but would really be working hard at 120kph.

We still had this car, when we returned to Auckland. I got a job that required 120km per day commute, so I knew it would not last, oil use etc. Sold it to a collegue at my new job, who didn't need to drive so far and it was their first car for $3,000 in 1994.

I decided I wanted a Turbo Fuel injected 4WD car. Looked at a Subaru Leone Sedan with the above. Boy could it move. However, in pre-inspection it had oil leaks. They attempted to repair this, but a second check it was still there. Decided, too much trouble and looked around a bit more

Postscript: I saw my old Orange Galant broken down along the road I used to commute. : (

De-registered: 1997 - 230,000km

1987 Galant Sigma 2-litre Super Saloon
    (Bought 1994 - 7 years old)
    (Sold 1996 - 2.5 years ownership)

I started looking around for a replacement. Saw a Subaru Leone with 4WD and Turbo. However, it was leaking oil badly. Twice to the AA for checks and twice it leaked. So passed on that one.

Saw this car at my local dealership. This car looked like a "Blue shark" and was very sharp looking. Bought it for $10,000. It already had 140,000km on the clock, but is was newer and well serviced it should last the long commute, I thought.

It did handle well and could really cruise at 1800-2000 rpm gave 100 to 110kph, which made it really economical. (my next car required 2800-3000rpm for the same speed)

I improved the breathing of this carburated motor, by removing the plastic air intact extension that was connected to the left front fender and pointing the air tube forwards. This made the cold air go straight in to the air filter box. May have increased the hp by 10%. It really went fast.

It was however not so good in the corners. I fixed this in 2 ways. The original 185/70 with 195/60 and Gas Shocks (Monroe GTs). This allowed me to go round some sweeping corners at 160kph. (However, at that speed, I still got overtaken by a Holden V8 1-tonne ute and a collegues 1990 VR-4)

I had a real bit of luck on this one. The transmission died, so got it replaced and paid for it on VISA and never got the bill

I noticed rust forming around on the rear windscreen and looking at a $2,000 repair job for that and other bits. On a $3,000 car, I didn't think It was worthwhile.

Got another job in 1996 less commuting. Time to sell the "Blue Shark".

De-registered: 2001 - 318,000km

Traded it in for $3,000 on a ....

1990 Galant 2.0 DOHC GTi-16v
    (Bought 1996 - 6 years old)
    (Sold 2003 - 7 years ownership)

I was going past our local dealer for 4 weeks and this car was standing out bright and silver at the front of the lot. There were newer 7G galants, but this 6G model really stood out. I eventually decided I had to have it. It was fully optioned, with Climate Air-conditioning, power mirrors, power locking, etc. etc. (it even had a lighted vanity mirror for the passenger and 4 interior spot lights)

Bought this for $13,000. Wow what a fast car. However, it was not as solid as the old blue shark; It felt taller, higher and less sure footed in the corners. I fixed this with 195/60 to 205/55 tyres and new Gas-shocks (Bilstein). What a transformation. I really loved it after that. It could really handle well. I continued to maintain this well, with a new computer under warranty.

Showing off to a friend, I hit 160kph over the "Newmarket Viaduct" and went off the off-ramp at 140kph and let the 4 wheel discs slow it down. What stopping power.

I went to see "Star Wars: Episode 1" with work collegues and returned to where I parked the car. It was gone, stolen. DAMN !!!!! Called the cops, and reported it stolen. I had to drive a insurance "loner", 2000 Hyundai Accent in the interim (What a dog, a 10 year newer car and it felt like junk.) They eventually found my car, it had been (ab)used in a robbery. They had ruined the gearbox. This was repaired under insurance.

I got another 3 years out of it, before I got the VR-4.

Postscript 1: (2004) I sold this car to my Father-in-law, who has recently cruised at 145kph and was getting strange looks from other car drivers. He's over 70. Well done. I'm glad it went to a good home.

Postscript 2: (2007) This car was involved in accident and was deemed a write-off. A sad day indeed. My father in-law passed away, so making it a really tough year.

De-registered: 2007 - 172,000 km

1996 Galant VR-4 Type S
    (Bought 2003 - 7 Years old)
    (Nearly 8 years ownership so far)

I saw this model ages ago and thought, what a technical marvel. 4WD, Twin-Turbo, Ralliart-tuned, AYC from the EVO series, etc. etc. At $65,000, I thought this was well out of my reach, At least I can dream.

Had an opportunity to test drive a 8G VR-4 in April. It was Black, 17" Gold alloys, sunroof, etc. etc. It felt really fast, but at the sametime safe. I had it overnight. It was on special for $22,000. With warranty and alarms it was going to cost $25,000. However, for one thing or another things happened and we didn't go through with it.

As other Galant VR-4s were also selling for $25,000 and thinking I can't buy one at that price, started looking at other cars. Considered a "Nissan 200SX", "Ford Probe" and then settled on a FTO. I decided to research this car and found out that MiVec version is the one to have. My local dealer said he had found one for $15,000 and I was really considering it . My wife said to me. "if you get this car are you going to really happy or are you going to say in 2-3 years that I want will want a more executive-looking car."

I decided to look again on the web when I spotted the VR-4 on the web for $16,995. What a bargain, no more looking at a FTO. Get the Dealers website up saw it there for $18,995. Hmmm $2,000 off, suppose I better see it in the flesh. Wow, at the lot the sticker price was $15,995 another $1,000 cheaper. Is there something wrong with it I ask. No says the dealer, he's got new stock arriving soon so needed some space, so put a few cars on special. What a bargain I thought, better get serious on negotiation. CASH buyer and all that. Ended up getting it for $14,995 + cost of warranty and car alarm.

What a brilliant car. Was concerned about fuel economy, but my brother said, think of the power and you will understand the fuel usage. He was right and I never thought of that aspect again.

I drove it once at 140kph passing a BMW 3 series,Lexus IS200 and a new Falcon around a sweeping uphill curve. And it did not stop accelerating. It felt locked on to the road. Not like my original 1978 Galant GSL (reaching only 80kph uphill - Flatout). The Galant has come a long way and the 8G VR-4 is the epitome of the Marque and Model.

Found the "Club VR4" website and thought wow this is a great site, with lots of similar thinking people, not the usual boy racer crowd, more mature . Started posting questions and reading others, learnt lots and keeping learning lots.

Decided I needed a Full "D" service as I was not sure about the history after reading other posts about service. This cost me $2,000, but it was well worth it for the peace of mind it gave.

I plan to keep this car for 10 years or more. I finally got my I (Twin)Turbo - Fuel Injected - 4WD Car, I originally desired. I now have my Dream Car.

Postscript 1: (2007) Damn I smashed it with $7,500 worth of damage. Thankfully I had insurance. Did flirt with the idea of replacing it with a Lancer VR-X. The new Lancer looks good, but it is not a VR-4

Postscript 2: (2008) Upgraded the JVC stereo and the Alloys to 18". (will probably use the old 17" for trackdays later )

Postscript 3: (2009) Maintenance costs are starting to rise, and next year will be bad
    We work to live, and to live is to drive a BMW 330i at speed.

https://www.facebook.com/BMW330iMSport/

Thread Information