Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiat 500 Coupé Zagato 2011

Fiat 500 Coupé Zagato 2011

The concept “500 Coupé Zagato” makes its debut in Geneva

The “500 Coupé Zagato” - the concept created by one of the most famous automotive design
    names in the world, with the collaboration of the Fiat Group Automobiles' Centro Stile - makes its
    debut at the 2011 Geneva International Motor Show.

Presented at the Fiat stand, the prototype stands out for its sinuous yet decidedly sporty and
    contemporary contours, inspired by the namesake predecessor built in the 1950 by the famous
    Italian bodyworker on the chassis of the 500. Yet while Zagato had then completely revamped the
    exterior style of the basic model, today the designers emphasised the silhouette of the Fiat 500,
    already similar to a coupé, giving it an even more aggressive appeal. In addition, the unique
    shape of the roof features the characteristic “double hump", the true emblem of Zagato, teaming
    the lowering of the car with retaining excellent interior comfort.

Like many historic custom-built cars, the concept car affords the classic “2+2 seater” formula,
    retaining the compact dimensions of the basic model: indeed, it is 355 centimetres long, 163 cm
    wide and 149 cm high, with a 230 centimetre wheelbase. So it is a compact car which "conceals"
    under the bonnet the revolutionary TwinAir 105 HP engine which maximizes the “fun to drive” of
    this car, while ensuring, consistently with the downsizing philosophy, excellent performance levels
    against a considerable reduction in fuel consumption and emission levels. To achieve this
    objective, the engine features a specific “turbomatching” (engine-turbocharger coupling).

The 105 HP TwinAir engine, which has never been used on any of the Group's models yet, is
    therefore the ideal engine to be installed in compact sized sporty cars, as demonstrated by the
    high torque delivered (155 Nm at 2,500 rpm) and the absolute world record in terms of absolute
    power (105 HP at 5,500 rpm). In addition, at 124 HP/litre, this engine is also one of the world
    leaders in specific power. All while ensuring reduced fuel consumption and CO2 emissions
    unrivalled in this category: 95 g/km.

Designed mainly for a young and dynamic male target, the “500 Coupé Zagato” also
    accommodates the needs of a female target owing to the painstaking pursuit of stylistic solutions
    resulting from the most interesting trends on colours and materials. For instance, the prototype
    livery is Pop Yellow, a specific three-layer bodypaint colour tending towards white which
    emphasises the vehicle contour while giving it a pop image, full of energy and brimming with
    personality.

The same styling effect can be found in the interiors, specifically the seats, inspired by the
    traditional sporty "diamond" seats and high-tech fabric teamed with yellow chamois leather and
    the black natural leather of the surrounds which give it a young, contemporary look. The
    decidedly sporty appearance can also be found on the steering wheel - also covered in leather
    with contrasting stitching the same colour as the yellow chamois leather grips - and on the
    dashboard surround, matching the exterior colour, which was treated in burnished “eco-chrome”
    to give it a more aggressive appeal. Lastly, another typical feature of coupé vehicles is the lining
    of the roof panel with dark high-tech fabric embellished by a transparent single-filament yarn that
    gives it a delicate shine.

In perfect synch with its sporty personality, the “500 Coupé Zagato” features burnished chrome
    exterior elements, 17” “chrome shadow” wheels with a brand new double spoked shape and
    synthetic inserts (made of APP-TECH), 205/40 R17 tyres and 4 perforated brake discs.

A car of enormous appeal, this prototype is consistent with Fiat's history and mission: to make
    cars distinguished by an original style, advanced technology made accessible to all and intelligent
    solutions that simplify and improve life on-board. An example? Just like the basic model, the “500
    Coupé Zagato” also features “my-port”, the practical multimedia port installed on the dashboard
    allowing the driver to link up to the world via a latest generation smartphone enabled to access
    the Internet and satellite navigation.

Turin, 1st March 2011
    Attached Images Attached Images

Isn't this a bit tall for a Coupé?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

No, this is a genuine coupe, just like the Seat Ibiza SC

OMG an elephant sat on it!
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Yeah, the roof is overdone.

Very nice touch! If it wasn't built in Italy and I had the money, I would probably buy it

I was expecting something pretty epic and it looks like they spent all of an hour designing it.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    I was expecting something pretty epic and it looks like they spent all of an hour designing it.
    Which is probably the only way the car could get the greenlight.
    I for one would mind it with the right badge and engine.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Which is probably the only way the car could get the greenlight.
    I for one would mind it with the right badge and engine.
    Are they thinking of greenlightning it?

Really?
    Visca Catalunya!

There is something going on, but it would probably be sold only as an Abarth. The reason why the car is so similar to a standard 500 is to cut costs of a production model. Parts sharing and little new engineering for the new roof and C pillar. Should result in a cheaper Mini Coupe, with a more expensive model being the roadster based on the 4C.
    Pointless to show an uber-cool little toy if then the production version is completely different, considering people are also missing something about the 8C Competizione from 2003 as RM said. In all honestly, I don't think he/we would immediately recognize the 2003 8C VS the 2007 8C on the road, still.

Think about the Ypsilon Momo Design, even if it was a much different car. Initially unveiled as a some sort of a showcar, equipped with quite some shot and no go. And then it was produced exactly like the concept car was. Not that I could car much about it, for as much as I enjoyed the Ypsilon.

i feel like the Zagato trademark double bubble has long since gone past its prime. i don't see how it does anything on this car. the sloping roof line in the back is okay, but i think it doesnt quite work with the lines on the front of the 500. maybe it is because i have only seen 3 or 4 of them total, but i don't think the lines of the 500 could really be improved a whole lot.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Think about the Ypsilon Momo Design, even if it was a much different car. Initially unveiled as a some sort of a showcar, equipped with quite some shot and no go. And then it was produced exactly like the concept car was. Not that I could car much about it, for as much as I enjoyed the Ypsilon.
    Except that it didn't have the 150bhp engine.

Which is quite a change.
    Visca Catalunya!

That was the part of the point I forgot
    The less you chance from the "concept" to the production version, the more happy customers you'll have, given the concept car was good enough already.

On the other hand I don't know if we would have liked or wanted an Ypsilon with so much power and weight on the front axle.

Not bad at all, especially with that new roofline.
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

Its ass looks like a New Beetle

Its front looks like a 500.....
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Thread Information