Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 991?

991?

2012 Porsche 911: This is it

Looks like legit pics of the next gen 911. Evolutionary styling(expected), more upscale interior trim(though looks fussy as hell much like Panamera). Not sure I like the lower light cluster/grille treatment on the front or the narrow slit tail light at the back....

The revision underneath should be pretty extensive if the test car I've see at work is to be followed(don't ask).
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

That actually isn't too bad.

However, I did feel like the 997 was the best balance of styling.

It's still not bad, but I'm waiting for the 20 million different permutations of the Carrera now, GT3, Carrera 4, 4S, Carrera S, GT2, GT3 RS, Targa, Cabriolet S, Cabriolet 4S...

I'm not sure about the styling. It looks fine, but not very 911ish.

I'm interested to see how the 7 speed manual works.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post

It's still not bad, but I'm waiting for the 20 million different permutations of the Carrera now, GT3, Carrera 4, 4S, Carrera S, GT2, GT3 RS, Targa, Cabriolet S, Cabriolet 4S...

My thoughts exactly. I don't remember any other gen of 911 having this much variant as the 997 did....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    The revision underneath should be pretty extensive if the test car I've see at work is to be followed(don't ask).
    I will ask! What can you tell us?

Not an improvement over the 997, but not too bad. Very similar to the 997 though; more similar than I thought it would be. It is akin to the new Civic and old Civic in terms of change.

Something looks a little funny with the front intake to me, but I suppose these are real.

The suspension geometry is quite different, as comparing a 997 and 991 side by side...I guess knowing Porsche and their incremental changes, I think that can constitute significant.
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I don't like the DLR and grille treatment at all, and there is something definitely off about the side profile. If this is real, it will probably grow on me.
    EDIT: Maybe it's the stubbier hood/more steeply-raked windshield?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

The suspension geometry is quite different, as comparing a 997 and 991 side by side...I guess knowing Porsche and their incremental changes, I think that can constitute significant.
    There's another thread on this somewhere around here.. I think there's a link in there that mentions the output shafts from the gearbox having been moved backwards that allows the rear wheels to shift further back relative to the engine. Or something.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

You can actually see some of the changes in in those 2 pics in hellcats' post. Some of the suspension pickup points have been moved around and you can actually see it beyond the brake disc. The 991 has relocated the balljoint location much further to the edge of the wheel package, which typically will have a lot of effect on compliance and toe and camber characteristics. Not knowing what their goals are its kinda interesting to see....also made other engineer in our building working on a project for them have more difficulty packaging for it compare to 997...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

My thoughts exactly. I don't remember any other gen of 911 having this much variant as the 997 did....
    However, I really like the 911 in that you can pretty much have the 911 anyway you want. As long as you have the engine in the ass end of the car.

Anything from boulevard cruiser to full on track day monster to Pikes Peak competitor.

The elongated tail stuck out to me. It really looks like an evolved Cayman with 4 seats

I saw the shots of the interior....material fetishism has struck obviously now also for the 911. Ghastly over the top.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

You can see they are slowly evolving the 911 in a direction that will allow the purists to accept them putting the engine where it should be, in front of the rear axle.

looks shorter, lower, and is apparently lighter than the last model. which is a good thing.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    looks shorter, lower, and is apparently lighter than the last model. which is a good thing.
    It's actually 6 centimetres longer though.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information