Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Gear in US!!!...

Top Gear in US!!!...

Was watching "Ramsays Kitchen Nightmares: Revisited" when an advert for Top Gear came on. Its being shown in the US on BBC America every Monday at 8 am. Im SOOO ****ing phsyched, ive been ranting about Top Gear needing ot come to the US for YEARS...

Yeah...you could just order BBC...

Good news about Top Gear....and if you're in the US and you want a motorsports channel with less NASCAR...check this new network trying to launch. It's headed by the same guy who left ESPN and started Speedvision. Go to the link and vote your support:

A CALL TO ALL MOTOR RACING FANS
    If you want racing other than NASCAR: We are getting closer to launch and need your help.

If a 24/7 racing network were created devoted exclusively to motor racing other than NASCAR with thousands of hours of live, historical and first run racing as well as many weekly race magazine-style shows including weekly coverage of major domestic and international series, behind the scenes access including the following classifications - some of which will be available in HD:

* Open Wheel
    * Drag racing
    * Rally
    * GT
    * Touring Car
    * Motorcycle Racing (road + off road )
    * Karting
    * Vintage
    * Autocross

* Rallycross
    * Sports Cars
    * Endurance
    * Motocross
    * Supermoto
    * Off Road/Dirt
    * Big Rigs
    * Ute racing
    * Formula BMW

* Hill Climb
    * Porsche Cup
    * Desert
    * Speedway
    * Adventure
    * Historical
    * Various Club programs, (Porsche, Corvette, Ferrari, BMW, SCCA, etc)
    * Various manufacturer series
    * Club Racing & News
    The Racing Network

Yes, I hate channel flipping to Speed and seeing NASCAR on it all the time. Other forms of racing exist other than NASCAR too you know......

So, WRC, FIA GT, and LMS coverage from TRN? Count me in.

only if the channel comes to Canada.....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Yes, I hate channel flipping to Speed and seeing NASCAR on it all the time. Other forms of racing exist other than NASCAR too you know......
    It's not NASCAR as much as it is Pinks and Monster Jam
    Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    So, WRC, FIA GT, and LMS coverage from TRN? Count me in.
    No, No, and No. Unless its reruns a couple months later, they won't have the money for the rights. You think Speed would really not show all of this if they could get the rights to it?
    "That's the first time I've been unhappy to have a bird on my face."

-Jenson Button after having a bird hit him during a preseason practice

No, No, and No. Unless its reruns a couple months later, they won't have the money for the rights. You think Speed would really not show all of this if they could get the rights to it?
    Unless we were in this business we really don't know. IMO since this guy has been successful in starting a channel before then he wouldn't set goals he didn't think were attainable.

I doubt seriously rights to NASCAR are cheap...so Speed chooses to put their money toward those rights where the TRN guy obviously is not. Speed has alienated a lot of race fans by becoming a NASCAR whore and with their other silly shows. Everything is not about rights and who can afford them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    Unless we were in this business we really don't know. IMO since this guy has been successful in starting a channel before then he wouldn't set goals he didn't think were attainable.

I doubt seriously rights to NASCAR are cheap...so Speed chooses to put their money toward those rights where the TRN guy obviously is not. Speed has alienated a lot of race fans by becoming a NASCAR whore and with their other silly shows. Everything is not about rights and who can afford them.
    NASCAR pays the bills by itself. FIA GT, WRC and LMS don't attract the same attention. Therefore they don't bay the bills. His goals are getting GT and Rally, and Endurance. But he's gonna start out little.

you live in the US and you watch ramsays kitchen nightmares? wtf? is US television THAT bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    you live in the US and you watch ramsays kitchen nightmares? wtf? is US television THAT bad?
    You have NO idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
    It's not NASCAR as much as it is Pinks and Monster Jam
    True, I do see a lot of Pinks. It's so boring! At least make it NHRA Drag racing. They try to infuse so much drama into the racing. It's not working one bit.

NASCAR pays the bills by itself. FIA GT, WRC and LMS don't attract the same attention. Therefore they don't bay the bills. His goals are getting GT and Rally, and Endurance. But he's gonna start out little.
    I don't disagree that the cost for NASCAR could be a wash...and Speed chooses to feed their audience all of it that they think it can stand...but that leaves out a wide audience that wants to see more variety.

There are a lot of factors involved for sure like can this new network be more efficient, will they have a better sales staff etc. It's much more than turning on the lights and getting rights. Frankly Speeds commercial format drives me nuts...they don't have that many advertisers but continuously play the same commercials over and over until I simply tune them out....and I don't watch Speed all that much anymore.

I'm not in the business but as a consumer flipping around all the many channels on my cable box...I see a lot of low audience channels that survive so I'm thinking it isn't as critical as we might think. The trick is if you're aiming at car enthusiasts all your eggs are in one basket you might say. I'm sure that's why Speed has gone the 'reality' show route thinking versatility for insurance.

Also maybe advertisers have trouble trusting race series...rules changes, the split up of CART for example. Racing fans following certain series over the years have been built up to be let down and when that happens the TV is turned to another channel.

I just have to put a little faith in this TRN fellow, he's been there and done that...I hope he makes something of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    I don't disagree that the cost for NASCAR could be a wash...and Speed chooses to feed their audience all of it that they think it can stand...but that leaves out a wide audience that wants to see more variety.

There are a lot of factors involved for sure like can this new network be more efficient, will they have a better sales staff etc. It's much more than turning on the lights and getting rights. Frankly Speeds commercial format drives me nuts...they don't have that many advertisers but continuously play the same commercials over and over until I simply tune them out....and I don't watch Speed all that much anymore.

I'm not in the business but as a consumer flipping around all the many channels on my cable box...I see a lot of low audience channels that survive so I'm thinking it isn't as critical as we might think. The trick is if you're aiming at car enthusiasts all your eggs are in one basket you might say. I'm sure that's why Speed has gone the 'reality' show route thinking versatility for insurance.

Also maybe advertisers have trouble trusting race series...rules changes, the split up of CART for example. Racing fans following certain series over the years have been built up to be let down and when that happens the TV is turned to another channel.

I just have to put a little faith in this TRN fellow, he's been there and done that...I hope he makes something of it.
    Oh, same here! I just have a cynical view on everything.

It says GT, rally, and endurance. Which means most likely FIA GT, WRC, and LMS. And what do you mean don't attract the same attention? In Europe the number of viewers is huge.

Just a theory, but it could be US MotorsTV...
    Last edited by Zytek_Fan; 08-17-2007 at 10:59 PM.

Thread Information