Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: corvette Z06 v.s. viper srt-10

right now D.C. and Miami., but also London
    Viper if money were no object definately
    but since it is
    get the 'Vette, it'll leave you with plenty of change to spare!

definitely viper. vettes are nice, but i dont like the styling very much esp the new C6. Z06 is better, and also the older viper (GTS and RT/10) looks better than the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    the Corvette still uses leaf-springs...
    maybe they do that to save cost...

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    Whereas, the Corvette still uses leaf-springs and has mostly evolved off the older models.
    The car still pulls 1+ Gs though, and runs a pretty much equil slalom speed as teh Viper. The leafs arnt just for saving money, they also last longer than coils.

viper all the way. corvettes--meh the viper is what its all about--plus the viper sounds awesome--and it has a HUGE engine. which is good.
    I like SUVs because they can tow my 36 foot sailboat.

viper.......handles better then the vette, faster then the vette, sounds better then the vette, and is funner then the vette. the vette has reliability, gas mileage (if you can afford a viper, you dont need to worry about gas) and its cheaper. ill stick with the viper, its basically a modern version of muscle cars
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I'll pick the Viper. I like its balls to the wall attutude much better than the Vette.

PS, neither of them are muscle cars. They're sportscars, since both have only 2 seats and are too expensive to qualify for muscle car status. Think of it this way, they're kind of tomboys cuz they grew up next to muscle cars. So they have the body and price of a sportscar, with the heart and soul of a muscle car. Not a bad melding if you ask me.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Decave
    viper all the way. corvettes--meh the viper is what its all about--plus the viper sounds awesome--and it has a HUGE engine. which is good.
    have you actually heard the srt10 in person or was it an internet clip? I'm not trying to prove that it doesn't sound good (i think it sounds pretty good)...i was just curious
    Last edited by thinker; 12-02-2004 at 11:16 PM.

i dont really get the viper exhaust set up...in this pic it looks like the pipes go back behind the seats and wrap around and exit out he opposite side...this is probably why the srt10 sounds so much better than the old rt and gts
    Attached Images Attached Images

No, thinker, they just come to the rear of the engine compartnement across to behind the fonrt wheel and then straight back to the side exit.
    The European versions had to have rear-exit exhausts and the rep said that while they had to deliver them with the rear exhausts that they coudl provide the kit and it was easy to replace them to the side exit.
    Rear exit doesn't sound good compared to side
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

i found this on roadandtrack.com:

"One of the complaints associated with the side exhausts on the first Vipers was that you heard only the five cylinders on whatever side of the car you happened to be sitting in or standing near, a noise that some uncharitably characterized as sounding like a UPS truck.

Initially, an electronic noise canceling/augmenting system was proposed and abandoned. Instead, a rear crossover pipe connecting the back ends of the exhaust system was employed, allowing right and left bank decibels to commingle. The result is a much more satisfying rumble at idle and more urgent bark when the accelerator is mashed. Thus, we get an exhaust note that is more refined but no less potent."

By saying back ends do they mean that the exhaust crosses over behind the seats or near the engine?

Sounds to me like they cross over under the seats.

Good move, I never liked the tone much of the older Vipers, maybe the new one does sound better. Crossover pipes do tend to alter the sound quite a bit.

There were shots of a SRT-10 coupe prototype painted in blue w/ white stripes. There were only 3 pics and they here on UCP. The brake lights stuck more to the original GTS type.

I would take the Viper RT/10 (Early 90s type) or a GTS before both. They are the original Vipers. The Vette went quite a few years before Dodge built a huge rival to it. I don't think Chevy was expecting Dodge to build something in the early 90's that beat their baby.

Re the cross-pipes, sounds like all they added was a link pipe between the 2 exits to mix the sound or maybe the mufflers, so sounds () like there is crossovres then
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 12-05-2004 at 05:52 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Re the cross-pipes, sounds like all they added was a link pipe between the 2 exits to mix the sound or maybe the mufflers, so sounds () like there is crossovres then
    That is right. There is just a cross pipe that connects the 2 exhaust pipes so that the sounds come together. Thus giving a more satisfying sound.

Crossovers are great, I run an H-pipe in my car and I highly recommend it :thumbsup:

Thread Information