Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed Limits...what?

Speed Limits...what?

I can't drive 55. Neither can the Sheriff. Are speed limits still too low? Or are some new cars just too ridiculously fast to be sold in markets where they could almost quadruple the speed limits?

*EDIT: ok, maybe he's not the Sheriff but the question's still valid.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

haha my friends dad is the police constable or something and he drives the v12 s500, so...
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Well cars are made a bit too fast now-a-days, but hell whats wrong with that, they just need more open roads for high speed crusin. As far as safety goes speed limits on normal roads shouldnt be higher.

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    You have to look at it from people-who-are-crossing-the-road's view. If they say to slow, too slow. If they say too fast, too fast. I'm not saying their always correct, but the goverernment is obviously going to look at it from their point of view.

One of my dad's best friends who owns a Porsche Boxster always says: "They should allow those with cars capable of handling good at high speeds drive at high speeds"

But yeah, cars are getting more HP everyday and traffic law enforcement is getting stricter

And BTW, you are lucky to get 55, here in Florida is 45...

Wait... 55 on the Highway or ???

U guys are lucky u get even 55. Over here we get only 60kph and 100kph on Highways.

In Texas, we can travel up to 70 mph on the highway but where im at in Texas, it is crowded as shit...

Speed limit signs have become mere suggestions where I live. The 4 lane highways around here are all posted 55. The slow lane is doing 75, and the left lane is usually 80+. Just today I was in a pack of cars and all of us blew by a state police cruiser at 75, and he didn't even look up from his newspaper (I'm assuming he had the laser gun set to 80.)

As for raising them, sure. But be prepared for higher insurance rates, less leniant police, and people STILL hogging the left lanes. Lane discipline really irritates me. Move over already.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

There's an advantage and disadvantage for everything

well, if they raised em wouldnt you still go 20 mph faster than the posted limit? most people here dont obey the limit on highways, and police dont care. with my dad we usually go 75-80 on the highway, and we were cruising at 90 coming back from nh a few weeks back.
    [url]www.spenserheaps.smugmug.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by shr0olvl
    Wait... 55 on the Highway or ???
    Most freeways are now faster than 55. It's just 55 has a nice ring to it and it's symbolic of how low freeway speeds had become. The point is that cars today can safely handle even higher speeds. Advances in tire technology and development of traction control systems, ABS and Brake Assist, Dynamic stability programs, all make cars more able to travel faster safely.

But i told you, the government wont look at it that way. Sometimes people dont care how fast they go, take advantage of the low speed limit, go higher than it really is, and BANG!!!! despite the advances in technology. The government will look at it that way and the view of the people who cross the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    Speed limit signs have become mere suggestions where I live. The 4 lane highways around here are all posted 55. The slow lane is doing 75, and the left lane is usually 80+. Just today I was in a pack of cars and all of us blew by a state police cruiser at 75, and he didn't even look up from his newspaper (I'm assuming he had the laser gun set to 80.)

As for raising them, sure. But be prepared for higher insurance rates, less leniant police, and people STILL hogging the left lanes. Lane discipline really irritates me. Move over already.
    This is true. But as things stand your kind of at the mercy of the officer. Freeways usually flow at 80+ here in California, when they're flowing. But if it was legal we could travel that speed alone or at night without the protection of the pack.

Yes, and some lane discipline would be great. Left lane hogs drive me crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by spi-ti-tout
    But i told you, the government wont look at it that way. Sometimes people dont care how fast they go, take advantage of the low speed limit, go higher than it really is, and BANG!!!! despite the advances in technology. The government will look at it that way and the view of the people who cross the road.
    Where pedestrians are present, slow is the way to go. I'm talking about the open road. Like Montana, they had the 'no speed limit' thing for a while but were still giving tickets to people they thought were going too fast. I remember reading a story about a guy who got a ticket for driving a 100 in the rain.

Thread Information