I've run into a bit of problem with a drivetrain discussion with another email ring. I was hoping some of you may be able to help me out.

As some of you may know, I am building a V8 powered Kelmark GT midengined kit car. I'm trying to get the highest performance out of it while maintaining the lowest cost possible. So far, I have done this, with a (now) rebuilt 350 for $150, the kit itself for $1500, and various other gear for a total of $1800 give or take. There is a long way to go still.

The question was asked: What is the best drivetrain for the Kelmark GT?

One person replied and said that we should stop looking to 30 year old technology and instead start building engines with newer gear (like NSX or similar). Basically, whatever is popular today.

I replied and said that a v8 engine offers a performance to cost ratio UNMATCHED by most anything out there. Parts are readily available, and adaptor kits are plentiful for porsche 901 transmissions, which are also cheap (porsche 914).

Another person replies and says that the weight of the v8 would add something like 900 Lbs to the car. I'm thinking, this guy is insane.
A VW flat four is rated at 200lbs,
a Chevy SBC is 575 with Iron heads.

That just doesn't add up. Then he brought up the idea of turbocharging, which I replied quite simply adds weight and decreases reliability, especially in non-factory turboed cars. I brought up how easy a carb is to tune, compared to ECU's and turbo's and fuel injectors.

I could easily fill up a full page with what I've written, and what he's replied.

Basically, it comes down to the fact that he claims the weight of a v8 will be so great as to ruin the cars handling. I disagree.

He also claims that a 901 transmission is too weak to handle the power of a v8. But i have to ask, why would they make adaptors for something that doesn't work?

So I ask you loyal motarista, what is the truth? Will the V8's weight ruin the handling of the rougly 1800lb car? Is the weight difference more negligable than that? What would the ideal drivetrain be, including cost, durability, drivability, performance?

-Andrew