Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FPV/HSV bosses clash

FPV/HSV bosses clash

FPV v HSV: the bosses clash
    James Stanford
    05nov04

AUSTRALIAN muscle-car makers have clashed over the arrival of Ford's latest turbo rocket.

Ford Performance Vehicles boss David Flint and Holden Special Vehicles counterpart John Crennan have spoken out as FPV releases the new F6 Typhoon.
    The Typhoon is a turbo-charged six-cylinder Falcon that will be sold alongside the GT Falcon.

Crennan says the arrival of the Typhoon will confuse the market image of FPV and that HSV is clearly a V8-only brand.

"I consider our branding and our vision and our plan to be very pure. The essence of good marketing is purity, and to a certain extent simplicity. And I look at the Ford side of things and I see something that is more confusing," Crennan says.

"Is it Tickford? Is it FTE? Is it FPV? Is it FPR? Is it six-cylinder? Is it eight-cylinder? Is it supercharged?"

Crennan says FPV needs to do more work on its brand strategy to give customers a clear picture of its direction.

"That picture can only be confused by the potential of a six-cylinder product, cheaper than the V8, and the potential for that to strangle the V8."

FPV has introduced a new slogan, Performance Inc, to incorporate the Typhoon's introduction next to its V8 GT models.

Flint says FPV does not have to stick to building V8 cars.

"We are not the GT or V8 car company. We are the pre-eminent performance-car company in Australia. That, frankly, means we are free to do anything we like."

Flint says the overall performance package is more important than the number of cylinders.

He disagrees with Crennan's comments about the Typhoon's negative impact.

"I have a lot of time for John. He is an outstanding manager and a superb marketer. In this instance, though, I think he is not right."

Flint attacked the new 6.0-litre HSV GEN IV engine, which has slightly more power and torque than the FPV Boss V8 in the GTs.

"Our V8 is a very hi-tech, double-overhead-camshaft, multi-valve engine. To me, that is a more technical solution than an old push-rod engine (HSV GEN IV), but that's the way he (John) chooses to go and good luck."

Crennan fired straight back.

"I think the push-rod thing is a cheap shot. All I know is that for every 10 cars we sell, they sell three – and I'll let the numbers do the talking."

Herald Sun
    ----------------------------------

Personally, i think Crennan needs to pull his head out of his arse. Who does he think he is by trying to act like he know's FPV's market push better than themselves.....David Flint has been saying since day one back in 2002 when FPV was formed that it wouldnt be a V8 only affair, and that they had their eyes on not only the Ford 6, but maybe even a local version of the Focus RS.
    I am the Stig

personally, i agree with you for about 90% of what you say. frankly i am willing to bet that this journalist has poorly regurgitated the opinions of both men. in crennan's defence what i think he was trying to show is that the typhoon is a 6 cyl that is more powerful than the xr8 and cheaper to, but still bears a 'similar' badge to the xr6. in other words, it will shrink the market for the xr8 (no threat to hsv, he is just trying to be arrogant and point out a "possible" folly of fpv, i stress the word "possible")

in any event this is all a marketing wank, and the cars are made for the people and quite frankly i would be surprised if the typhoon does not do very well with its sales as it is an awesome piece of machinery...
    "WHEN IT'S GAME TIME, IT'S PAIN TIME TIME BABY! WOOOH" ~ Terry Tate

This isn't the first time they have have words some years back when HSV made the HRT maloo they were called irresponsible lol for giving a Ute so much power And then shots went back and forwards. I say get the 2 bitch's in the ring and let them have there little cat fight and lets get back to working
    Meeeeeeeeoooooooooooooow
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    This isn't the first time they have have words some years back when HSV made the HRT maloo they were called irresponsible lol for giving a Ute so much power And then shots went back and forwards. I say get the 2 bitch's in the ring and let them have there little cat fight and lets get back to working
    Meeeeeeeeoooooooooooooow
    love it! fell of my chair...
    "WHEN IT'S GAME TIME, IT'S PAIN TIME TIME BABY! WOOOH" ~ Terry Tate

Quote Originally Posted by @wall
    personally, i agree with you for about 90% of what you say. frankly i am willing to bet that this journalist has poorly regurgitated the opinions of both men. in crennan's defence what i think he was trying to show is that the typhoon is a 6 cyl that is more powerful than the xr8 and cheaper to, but still bears a 'similar' badge to the xr6. in other words, it will shrink the market for the xr8 (no threat to hsv, he is just trying to be arrogant and point out a "possible" folly of fpv, i stress the word "possible")

in any event this is all a marketing wank, and the cars are made for the people and quite frankly i would be surprised if the typhoon does not do very well with its sales as it is an awesome piece of machinery...

i think FPV totally know what theyre doing, and theres no real reason why both the F6 and GT cant both be attracting sales at the same time. The XR8 is nowhere near dead compared to the XR6T, although the long waiting list on the XR6T could have something to do with it. Either way, both cars have played a massive part in the XR's booming to 27% of Falcon sales.

Now they'll probably be complaining about 550nm going into a ute without traction control and leaf springs
    I am the Stig

My bro test drove the XR6T and the XR8 before he bought his 6T, He said that 6T had just as much if not more puff and then the 8... However i think they could be speading themselves a bit thin at FPV, all of the HSV range has a particular niche that they fit into, ie: clubsport is base level performace machine and the Senator is top of the line luxury package etc etc.

What it looks like FPV have done to me is given the consumer TOO MUCH choice. All these cars (except maybe the Typhoon) all fit into the same kind of bracket. all the XR series, the GT and GT-P are all just performace sedans (some more luxurious then the others) but nevertheless are all in the same niche, with the Typhoon coming out it might open up there product range suffciently for it to sell well, but at what cost? as far as i know the XR8 hasnt been selling too well. you seldom see them on the roads. the XR6T is a class of it own due to its turbo and the XR6 doesnt really rate a mention

What im trying to say is that Holden sells well becasue of it wide product diversity, wheras the ford range is limited to simply performance sedans. This ute may sell but it will take sales from other fords such as the XR6T and XR8 utes...
    The Datto will rage again...

^^^
    WHOA like longest post EVER

I think your right That's huge

I think its funny to see the classroom debates between Ford and Holden carried through all the way to the bosses. I don't reckon that HSV should argue about being V8 only, the TT3.6 has some potential and theyre gonna shoot themselves in the foot if they ever go ahead with it. But as far as the debate goes, FPV can pull the shit outta HSV for pushrods, but all that HSV needs to do is make mention of Tickford to shut em up.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra
    My bro test drove the XR6T and the XR8 before he bought his 6T, He said that 6T had just as much if not more puff and then the 8... However i think they could be speading themselves a bit thin at FPV, all of the HSV range has a particular niche that they fit into, ie: clubsport is base level performace machine and the Senator is top of the line luxury package etc etc.

What it looks like FPV have done to me is given the consumer TOO MUCH choice. All these cars (except maybe the Typhoon) all fit into the same kind of bracket. all the XR series, the GT and GT-P are all just performace sedans (some more luxurious then the others) but nevertheless are all in the same niche, with the Typhoon coming out it might open up there product range suffciently for it to sell well, but at what cost? as far as i know the XR8 hasnt been selling too well. you seldom see them on the roads. the XR6T is a class of it own due to its turbo and the XR6 doesnt really rate a mention

What im trying to say is that Holden sells well becasue of it wide product diversity, wheras the ford range is limited to simply performance sedans. This ute may sell but it will take sales from other fords such as the XR6T and XR8 utes...

i think your wrong there though, cause if the XR8, GT and GT-P are all chasing after the same market, then whats the go with the SS, Clubby and R8 as theyre simply the Holden equivalents....

basically V8 buyers wont see the appeal with the F6 and XR6T so the GT and XR8 hasnt got anything to worry about there. the XR6T and XR8 are selling about evenly, but they'd easily be outsold 2:1 by the standard XR6
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    standard XR6
    there was one out at the track today, completelt stock auto with "sports shift" I was only 3 secs slower then it

John Howard: said no GST
    Bob Hawke: Said no Child will live in povate
    Pauline Hanson: Said she can cook fish and chips
    Holden: Said Hothouse green is Monaro only
    FPV: Said They won't battle HSV KW for KW
    America: Said W2K would cripple us
    Bagdad Bob: Said There are no U.S tanks in the city behind him
    Bill Clinton: Said He didn't have sexual relations with that girl Smoke time anyone

How bout some future one's

Ford: Says they won't battle the Monaro
    Holden: Says no more supercharging,
    Lets see how long this last lol
    They all change there minds like the weather

LMAO good call Slick

I reckon it makes more sense for Holden to get into turbocharging, not to follow Ford's lead, but because theyre already making turbo engines for Saab, it would be a lot more feasible economically to develop the tech from there rather then start over with a Supercharged Alloytec. The Torana concept shows theyre willing to take it serously

Where did they use the tech for the Torana concept from? Saab?

Thread Information