• Mika Hakkinen

6 26.09%
  • Nick Heidfeld

4 17.39%
  • Antonio Pizzonia

2 8.70%
  • Other (state in thread please)

2 8.70%

Thread: Williams second driver for 2005?

Williams second driver for 2005?

Who in your opinion, after Button was forced to stay at BAR until 2006, should join Webber at Williams next year. Williams have commented on their desire to have an experienced driver alongside Webber to show him the ropes of a competitive team, theyve also confirmed Pizzonia for either a test or race drive next year, and the novelty of having a German like Heidfeld would please BMW.

So whats your opinion?
    I am the Stig

The most likely choice is Pizzonia as Patrick Head revealed. However Webber does need an experienced partner..afterall the highest he ever finished was 5th with Minardi! Mika Hakkinen would be the best choice as Coulthard has bad relationships with Williams and hasnt performed well for years. Though Hakkinen has no experience in modern day f1 cars, he will have to get upto date with everything before they drop him in a seat, he claims he is fit. Heidfeld has no motivation for a seat at Williams, he 'Doesnt know' if he has a chance, although a german driver would do well for BMW thats not the most important thing. I vote Hakkinen.

Personally, i dont see Williams reasoning in their "lack" of motiviation to get it together. All theyve really said is they'll start Webber off in the winter testing in this years car to narrow down some driver choices, then worry about the 2nd driver. I'd be getting both of them in there as soon as possible to try and give them the best possible car for Melbourne next year. Even moreso if they choose Hakkinen considering how long he hasnt been in an F1 car, i suppose to his benefit, the strains on his body wont have changes as they did with Villeneuve, considering the plans to slow the cars down
    I am the Stig

if williams is smart they pick Robert Doornbos.an amazingly talented young guy, he drives very well in the friday training in a jordan, + he is dutch...

Pizzonia would be the best. He's been with the team for quite a while and will help Webber adapt while he can also continue the development of the car.

Coulthard was great in my book, but he is too far form his prime now.

Hakkinen has no deal in F1 anymore. I'm a huge fan of him, but I'm afraid a return will only do him harm, things have changed a lot since he left.

Heidfeld is the second best option and deserves much more than a crap Jordan.

from very well informed sources i know it can be mika hakkinen

DC becuase of his consummate skill in working to develop and engine and chassis and handling package.

It was a widely discussed 'featuire' of Mika that he didnt' put in the equvalent test hours and would pick up DCs settings and then tweak them.
    THat is a skill, but getting a car from 80-95% is more important than 95-97% especially with new engine, aero and tyre packages
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

My pick was always with Coulthard, from what ive seen they'd rather get the driver to support Webber rather than the one who would gurantee the drivers championship. Plus, i'd have for someone like Coulthard, who's been with McLaren for so long, to risk being out for a season, damaging his chances for 2006.

Pizzonia may already be at Williams, but i dont know how he'd go with Webber. Back at Jaguar in 2003, he was completely outclassed by Webber afterall and some say they simply just dont get along, i dont think Williams want that again.

Personally i think Webber and Coulthard could work wonders, Channel10 here whenever theyre doing an interview with the drivers about a certain issue, its always Coulthard or Webber they ask first
    I am the Stig

I'm hoping to see Haikkonen make a return to F1 as I was a fan of his, but I just don't see it happening. So my pick goes for Coulthard, he would be the best pick imo. The reasons why were stated by Matra already. He is a veteran and can definitely help out Webber a good bit, as I'm sure he did with Raikkonen in his first year at McLaren.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

Thanks for all the fish

Mikka is off to the DTM ??Some touring cars for next year i think it is i seen it on sky news yesterday. That might be his way of slowly getting back into things
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    Mikka is off to the DTM ??Some touring cars for next year i think it is i seen it on sky news yesterday. That might be his way of slowly getting back into things
    i dont know if you guys know about this but Hakinnen IS fit, he NEVER stoped racing. unlike villeneuve who after losing his seat at BAR sulked at home, Hakinnen continued racing in ralies in his native country and a bit allover northern europe. He is more fit than most of you think. I didint hear anything about DTM but that can only do him good.
    That said, it is not his form we should worry about, it is his skill at a new F1 car, dont forget 2 years is a loooooooong time by F1 standars....
    If he comes back to F1 he will be the only one on the circuit who ever beat Michael to an F1 tittle. . .
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

but Hakkinen wont be coming back now, thats the thing, His DTM deal is all confirmed for 2005, which leaves Coulthard as really the only experienced driver persuing the Williams seat alongside Webber
    I am the Stig

Thread Information