Page 49 of 55 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: Automotive idiot stories...

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    The F430 entered in Super GT's second class still manage to get some good results, while it's a different story for the first class were the cars are actually prototypes with a coupe bodywork.

At Le Mans Maserati would have faced the usual competition, same team they faced last year or before, same cars. Only the track would have been new.
    Plus, they would have been the most factory supported team. At the moment the Vitaphone Team is composed mainly by people from the German team, but they still get direct support and a good part of the personnel on track. Officially it isn't an works team, but it actually is.
    Yeah, I see what you mean.

t know why, but i seem to attract guys that want to destroy my car. Was nearly crashed by an Audi today. He said afterwards that he just wanted to overtake me. On the right. Which is illegal. Some people just don't get it.

friend got rear ended in his 911. driver of the car said "well at least your engine is okay" whilst looking at the crumpled front end of his own car.
    cue massive rage.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    friend got rear ended in his 911. driver of the car said "well at least your engine is okay" whilst looking at the crumpled front end of his own car.
    cue massive rage.
    Man, that sucks too.

I'd be really angry as well.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    driver of the car said "well at least your engine is ok"
    ... and this is the point where your friend swung a baseball bat at this tools head, right?

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    ... and this is the point where your friend swung a baseball bat at this tools head, right?
    i'm not sure on the details but there was much abuse and the other guy shat himself once he realised how much more it would cost than he first thought..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I once got into a car with a dude called sam goodson.

was the last thing I remember before I woke up in a bathtub missing a kidney.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

There was another accident near my shop yesterday afternoon, driver struck a concrete power pole ejecting himself, nearly cutting the car in two, and leaving him and his 3 passengers in critical condition. It's a straight road, completely free of large trees, open visibility and has a speed limit of 35MPH. There are 15' wide flat grass shoulders. In other words, only a moron could crash there.

Go to Google maps and check the location to be as purplexed as me. I've marked the pole: 26.647265 -80.059342

If you look at the map, notice the curve east as Georgia Ave becomes Gregory Road. That location has had the armco replaced no less than 5 times in the past year, the result of drunks, drag racers and who knows what else. Going to the shop one morning, I saw the entire area had been burned... someone flipped a car over the armco into the ditch on the opposite side.

This guy lost it on the straight stretch 500 feet North of that curve, though.
    Darwinism at work.
    Last edited by csl177; 04-10-2010 at 11:24 PM. Reason: corrected long & lat info
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    well, there's your first mistake right there.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    rookie mistake..

wow, csl, if it was a kid I would suggest the guy was maybe showing off ?
    Fishtailing it out of that corner along the street NOT in control

Or being fairer, golf ball hit ? tyre blow out ? Sight of Tiger Woods trying to get it in the hole ??
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Wish it was simple as that Matra. Hooning may play a part as there's a highschool just west of the location, but most accidents have happened late at night. In this case it was in full daylight, 6PM.

The car was headed South at normal speed according to witnesses, crashing into the pole shown. He and the cars' occupants were middle aged, so driving while distracted fits this case. I'll take some photos of the skid marks (in the grass) as well as the battered armco at the curve. It really is amazing so many accidents happen on this completely smooth, straight, danger-free stretch of road.

Some afternoons we've sat in lawn chairs in front of my warehouse to watch the rush hour fun. Traffic isn't dense but lots of people feel like they must pass at stupid rates of speed. A friend is a traffic engineer for the city... I've suggested they use replaceable orange plastic water barriers at the curve to cut repair costs.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Wish it was simple as that Matra. Hooning may play a part as there's a highschool just west of the location, but most accidents have happened late at night. In this case it was in full daylight, 6PM.

The car was headed South at normal speed according to witnesses, crashing into the pole shown. He and the cars' occupants were middle aged, so driving while distracted fits this case. I'll take some photos of the skid marks (in the grass) as well as the battered armco at the curve. It really is amazing so many accidents happen on this completely smooth, straight, danger-free stretch of road.

Some afternoons we've sat in lawn chairs in front of my warehouse to watch the rush hour fun. Traffic isn't dense but lots of people feel like they must pass at stupid rates of speed. A friend is a traffic engineer for the city... I've suggested they use replaceable orange plastic water barriers at the curve to cut repair costs.
    Mind boggling, but I do have a similar story, but no accident yet. I've seen people pass slower traffic by passing onto incoming traffic on narrow two lane roads. I've even see people do it on bigger traffic, like buses and trucks while approaching an intersection just to make a light. It absolutely boggles the mind- what happens if an emergency vehicle is at that intersection and needs to make a turn on a red? You wouldn't be able to see it, even if your light is still green. Forget the fact that this is also on a hill, and a large semi could be coming from the other way and not be able to stop quickly enough because you just didn't see it. People are retarded. And most of the time I see people doing this in Escalades and Yukons. Other times it's in lifted trucks with truck nuts. People think like they're indestructible. What happened to just patience?

Europe tends to avoid straight roads as it IS recognised that drivers can become distracted from the task fo driving and lulled into a "stupor" by long straight roads.
    I'm guessing this is one of those.
    Needs a chicane in the middle

Can't remember the road I drove in middle America 20 years back, but it was 2 lane and was just straight from horizon to horizon. Undulating farmland. Must find where it was ... Sadly we were 4 up in a Chrysler Voyager with the back full of electronic instruments, so couldn't enjoy it even if we HAD maanged to stay awake
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Can't remember the road I drove in middle America 20 years back, but it was 2 lane and was just straight from horizon to horizon. Undulating farmland. Must find where it was ... Sadly we were 4 up in a Chrysler Voyager with the back full of electronic instruments, so couldn't enjoy it even if we HAD maanged to stay awake
    Plymouth Voyager - the best vehicle ever created by humanity. Don't ever besmirch it again, or you shall feel my wrath.

Was it as perfect as this one?

Thread Information