Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bmw M10

Bmw M10

Curious and exciting, and as always, fresh from Autoblog. It seems as though that the venerable 911 has fallen into the crosshairs of Audi with thier new mid-engined V8 monster the R8, and possibly even Lamborghini V10 power in the speculative RS8 version.

Now, a second germanic crosshair has leveled itself at the king-of-the-hill-three-numbered-legend, and this time the shooter is BMW. Enter the M10:

Source:Auto Zeitung via Motor Authority via Autoblog
    (Text Autoblog):

The legend we had always known was that BMW and Mercedes-Benz had a gentleman's agreement in place not to go after the Porsche 911. For whatever reasons, building a proper two-seat sports car was out of the question, though both build heavier and more accomodating grand touring machines that manage to skirt around the 911's segment.

Then came the Audi R8. Being stuck in third place of a three-man race has forced Audi to branch out into new segments, and the R8 is a bold statement that might make someone shopping a 911 think twice. Audi's bite of the forbidden fruit has apparently opened the door enough for BMW to consider a proper two-seat sports car. Sure, the M6 is plenty powerful with its 500-horse V10, more powerful than the R8 actually, but it's a pretty porker that can carry four people.

German outlet Auto Zeitung is reporting that BMW has begun work on an R8/911 competitor. To be called the M10, this front-engine, rear-wheel-drive coupe would be the spiritual successor to the M1 and Z8. Though BMW has dabbled with carbon fiber in some of its recent designs, the M10 would likely be almost completely covered in the material to keep weight around 3,000 lbs. Power for the M10 could come from either the M3's 420-hp, 4.2L V8 or the corporate 5.0L V10 producing around 550 horsepower. We would expect both engines to be offered so that BMW could square off the M10 against the R8 and RS8, as well as the 911 and 911 Turbo.

If BMW is working on such a car, development is going on behind many closed doors and any official info is far off. Regardless, such a car makes sense for the brand that purports to build ultimate driving machines.
    I think it is pretty cool to have all of these manufacturers directly in competition. To respond, I have said before and will say again, I think Porsche needs to move the engine in front of the rear-axle. Then, undeniably to me the 911 will be the best sportscar available. Also, Porsche must stuff in a larger engine (it looks like a flat-8 will be more than enough) - but more displacement and more horsepower are also needed to fight off Audi and BMW's seemingly fantastic new offereings.

Consensus?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kitdy; 05-29-2007 at 07:10 PM. Reason: typo and missed idea + italics + typo + italics

I agree, I think that if BMW made something that was better looking than the M6 and was more sporting and aimed at the Porsche/Audi that I would like that. To me the Porsche is kind of bland but I do really like the R8. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I've heard of rumors like this before. I'm all in favor of this car, although they should also keep it simple, like they did with the Z4M with no crazy complicated and convoluted settings for the transmission and things of the like.

They need to work out the styling though. It looks nice and all, but the eye-like headlights are strange.

That would actually be the first BMW in a long time I'd be really interested in.
    Last edited by fisetdavid26; 05-29-2007 at 06:23 PM.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Hell yeah.

Although the whole R8 thing is stupid as Porsche almost owns them.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    They need to work out the styling though. It looks nice and all, but the eye-like headlights are strange.
    I believe it to be a chop of some kind, am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    A digital rendering I would say.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

its about time! all they need is the M1 too!
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

I think M9 would be a cooler name, not sure why.

Needs a big wing to match those huge hood scoops.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    I think M9 would be a cooler name, not sure why.
    I don't know. M10 makes me think about Mega 10 which in turn makes me think about megaton. No need to say a megaton is pretty explosive. That name smells power. In my mind at least
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    David says:
    that's what she said

The S85B50 V10 (I think it should be the called the M10 if the engine is a V10) could probably get a huge kick from twin turbos like the E92 3-series straight-six, did; apparently with the turbos they used there the turbolag is next to non-existant. Slapping two turbos on this V10 would give it some real grunt to make Audi and Porsche scared.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Yeah, it probably is just a mish mash of some sort. The sloping rear reminds me very much of a Z4 coupe (and probably is).

I would like to know if they come out with a 10 series. The M is the crazy one, then the 10 series should be the one that we can all afford for real.

Twin turboes would be nice, but that would be a MM10.

Just say M10, it sounds boring. M9 flows better.

imo of course

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    Just say M10, it sounds boring. M9 flows better.

imo of course
    Have you been drinking? Hahahah.

Thread Information