Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: W

H16? Inline 8s in a boxer configuration, with a single crankshaft in the center? Or is it a splayed-out V?
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    H16? Inline 8s in a boxer configuration, with a single crankshaft in the center? Or is it a splayed-out V?
    2 1500cc V8 engines ( laid on their side ) with cranks joined by chains.

Needed more development money and time than BRM coudl afford
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    2 1500cc V8 engines ( laid on their side ) with cranks joined by chains.

Needed more development money and time than BRM coudl afford
    For a total of 3000cc, the frictional losses would outweigh any benefits. What were the design benefits? Looks like a lot of unnecessary complexity.

Does look good in a museum

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    For a total of 3000cc, the frictional losses would outweigh any benefits. What were the design benefits? Looks like a lot of unnecessary complexity.
    They had a successful 1500cc V8, they needed a more powerful 3litre engine VERY quickly and cheaply.
    An engineer had a 'brainwave' and the linked H16 was born like a Frankenstein monster
    Does look good in a museum
    Looks even better in cars with the trumpets sticking out the sides
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

My Lotus books are packed away

In trying to get some of the history online of the H16 in the races ( it was bad only one win for Clark ) I DID find a great couple of sounds though.
    ALong with the BEST site of course - http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame....php&carnum=75

In the second one it gets close near the end

BRM H16 Inside
    BRM H16 from trackside
    you'll want to turn the volume up.
    EDIT: ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Theses sound clips may not be the H16 and could be th V16 instead. Still great sound

enjoy
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 11-17-2004 at 03:20 AM. Reason: the links may NOT be the H16

BRM H16. Wow, I'm a believer What a sound!

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    I DID find a great couple of sounds though.
    Aren't those recordings from of the BRM V16 from Nick Mason's "Into the red"?

1496cc Supercharged 135° V16, revving to 12,000rpm supposedly producing "600"bhp (485 appears to be the most that was gotten out of it reliably), although it never ran properly. Something to do with inadequate valve lift.
    Last edited by Coventrysucks; 11-16-2004 at 07:14 PM.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Aren't those recordings from of the BRM V16 from Nick Mason's "Into the red"?

1496cc Supercharged 135° V16, revving to 12,000rpm supposedly producing "600"bhp (485 appears to be the most that was gotten out of it reliably), although it never ran properly. Something to do with inadequate valve lift.
    You are spot on, this is Nick Mason's V16, having heard this machine in real life is an experience never to be forgotten. It even beats the sound of Matra's warshipped MatraV12 hands down
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

sorry, guys, as I said I had come across them whilst trying to find the details - so blame the 'net The source site SAID it was the H16.

It sounded close enough on my tinny speakers to the one I'd heard on a 5.1 DVD at the Scottish show

Thanks for the corrections.

Do these pictures make up for my error ? I always like engines IN cars rather than on benches

http://www.evil-photographer.com/cars/BRM/P115/P115.htm

coming back to the original question, I just came across this pic in my archive which shows the VolkswagenW12 in cut-away form. You may not that there are six cranks visible but it is clear that each three of them go into a different direction.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

This little baby makes 600hp and it could come in a w12 version of the VW Pheaton. Special Order, the Pheaton usualy comes with a V8 engine that generates 420hp and i forgot what was the smaller version of it. I think it was 3.2L, not sure about the HP. well the W12 costs around 80 000-100 000usd. Anyways go to the VW's website and check.
    http://granturismo-racing.com/forum/
    Gran Turismo Racing Online Driving Community. A place for a true Gran Turismo fan..

(from VW Press Release) Wolfsburg / Frankfurt, 24.10.01. Volkswagen is presenting a further highlight of its product offensive in the top segment at the 35th Tokyo Motorshow: the production standard design study of the W12 Coupé with a 440 kW / 600 bhp (at 7,000 rpm) 12-cylinder engine. Having been adapted to suit individual requirements, the W12 engine will also be used in the Volkswagen luxury saloon in the future and in a premium off-road vehicle.

The six-litre, large twelve-cylinder engine is mid-mounted in this new concept vehicle which weighs just 1,200 Kilo. At 5,800 rpm it develops a maximum torque of 620 Newton metres. With a top speed of more than 350 km/h and an acceleration of less than 3.5 seconds to 100 km/h, the W12 Coupé is one of the most exclusive and fastest sports cars in the world.

The technology of the twelve cylinder engine integrated in the design study W12 Coupé: with a length of 513 millimetres, a height of 715 millimetres and a width of 710 millimetres, the engine is particularly compact. The capacity of the W12, which weighs just 239 kilograms, is 5,998 cm³. The basic layout of the W12 engine is made up of two very thin V6 four-valve modules which are configured at an angle of 72 degrees with a joint crankshaft with seven main bearings to make up a V-V arrangement, i.e. a "W". The cylinder angle is just 15 degrees within the two V6 banks. This makes the construction, which is very compact in comparison to V12 engines
    I wanted to see how true this last statement is. However, I can't find a good site for this info.
    Engine dimensions compared: LxHxW in mm (inches)

VW W12: 513x715x710 (20.2x28.2x28)
    Ferrari V12:
    BMW V12:
    BMW V10:
    Mercedes V12:
    GM 350 V8 w/ alum heads: 711x686x660 (28x27x26)

**I'll post them when I find a good source of engine dimensions. Know of any good sites for engine specs, such as external engine dimensions?
    Last edited by PerfAdv; 11-26-2004 at 07:48 PM.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I've seen a lot of specs for the Ford Windsor series (260/289/302/351) and 4.6l Mod motor V8's when I searched it around on Google...

Here's one with some dimensions, found it in about 20 secs.:

http://www.britishv8.org/swaps/TR6ford.HTM
    Last edited by jcp123; 11-26-2004 at 06:52 PM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Can anyone get a cut of the engine, perpendicular to the crank shaft? TIA

Yes VW and their W engines. The king of manufacturers who find new solutions for us to find a reason for. 5 cylinder anyone, or 7 or 9? How about an X24.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Thread Information