Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BMW Supercar

BMW powered all McLarens. Except the Forumla 1s.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeTurbo
    good point. this is really becoming ridiculous, all these cars costing 100K + (us$). as a car manufacturer i would invest more on smaller lighter cheaper sports cars.there used to be a few "afordable" roadsters but ow the slk and Z4 have moved up a noth sort of speech. and they were never that cheap! in europe you still have a few but here in america it is pityfull.you can not believe how hard it is to find an exiting affordable sports car... i am about to buy a miata because frankl it is the best bang for the buck a midlle class 18 year old can get in canada.
    You're definitely right but... you gotta dream, right? The Miata gets quite good reviews for it's class - reasonably fast, and according to Car & Driver, fun and (relatively) easy to drive quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by F1_Master
    BMW powered all McLarens. Except the Forumla 1s.
    What McLaren road cars are there besides the F1? And obviously this relationship is over, what with the Mclaren Mercedes SLR. Plus, the F1 is not legal in the US

Quote Originally Posted by quattro_20v
    if everyone made a supercar where would all the people be to buy them, not everyone is rich...

don't worry we have enough rap stars,,,,
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Quote Originally Posted by gregvl52
    What McLaren road cars are there besides the F1? And obviously this relationship is over, what with the Mclaren Mercedes SLR. Plus, the F1 is not legal in the US
    the F1 was a one off car by some enginneers and other staff members of the MCLAREN f1 team of the early ninetees. before this car, one would have to back to mr. bruce mclarens time to find any road going MClarens, if i got my history right....
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Quote Originally Posted by gregvl52
    You're definitely right but... you gotta dream, right? The Miata gets quite good reviews for it's class - reasonably fast, and according to Car & Driver, fun and (relatively) easy to drive quickly.
    not to mention i can smoke most riced up civics with little investement engine and tyre wise.
    GO HABS GO!

the F1 was a one off car by some enginneers and other staff members of the MCLAREN f1 team of the early ninetees. before this car, one would have to back to mr. bruce mclarens time to find any road going MClarens, if i got my history right....
    Well calling Gordon Murray 'some egnineer' or 'other staff' is a bit odd
    On of the greatest designers ever - check out his Rocket car !!

Murray was 'itching' to design more than just the highly succesful formul one cars for McLaren. Ron Dennis also had ideas to grow the company to be as important and powerful as Lotus. The development of the F1 was an excellent chowcase for all the design and manufacturing expertise of McLaren Cars and allowed Murray to indulge and prove he was right in his principles for sports and road cars.

it was a fully funded and planned development.
    It was never a 'skunk works' type of developmetn which has spawned many serious cars from the production lines of more mundane machinery

in reality there are 5 main variants of the F1 - each an improved an denhanced version of the one before.
    See http://www.mclarencars.com/content/s...ainfr/cars.htm
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Bruce McLaren did intend to make a McLaren factory after he retired. He had money invested in it. Except for 1 problem. He didn't get the chance to start it after his accident.

McLaren Cars Limited was the only McLaren company that produced cars. Only 4 road legal. However, some owners did drive their F1 GTRs on the road. Bad little owners, weren't they?

Before the F1 even had a BMW in it, McLaren called Honda to power their car. They declined and BMW did it instead, Why Honda? B/c McLaren had excellent racing history with Honda back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Well calling Gordon Murray 'some egnineer' or 'other staff' is a bit odd
    On of the greatest designers ever - check out his Rocket car !!

Murray was 'itching' to design more than just the highly succesful formul one cars for McLaren. Ron Dennis also had ideas to grow the company to be as important and powerful as Lotus. The development of the F1 was an excellent chowcase for all the design and manufacturing expertise of McLaren Cars and allowed Murray to indulge and prove he was right in his principles for sports and road cars.

it was a fully funded and planned development.
    It was never a 'skunk works' type of developmetn which has spawned many serious cars from the production lines of more mundane machinery

in reality there are 5 main variants of the F1 - each an improved an denhanced version of the one before.
    See http://www.mclarencars.com/content/s...ainfr/cars.htm
    YES i know gordon murray is more than "some engineer", but i was only trying to sum it up fotr this guy real quick.
    sorry Gordon!
    GO HABS GO!

YES i know gordon murray is more than "some engineer", but i was only trying to sum it up fotr this guy real quick.
    sorry Gordon!
    no prob
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information