Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
From what I gather the only 2 door Volvo made of The 200 Series was the 262C luxury coupe. The Tourers must have just been one-offs?
I know Volvo in New Zealand imported a limited number of two door 242GT Volvos in the early 80s. The two door was certainly available in the 200 series. Volvo had to build 5000 two door 200 series cars fitted with the turbocharged 2.1 litre engine in order to comply with the Group A regulations. All cars were sold in the US. They then "built" 500 evolution specials with wings, bigger intercooler, etc, and its here that things get murky. Apparantly once the FIA had seen proof that 500 evolution 240Ts had been built, Volvo stripped the special equipment off all of them and sold them as standard 240Ts. No one really knows for sure. The links above explain it in detail.
From what I understand, all 5000 standard two door 240 Turbo Volvos were sold in the US market.
The Volvo 240T is one of two cars that raced in European Group A events in the 1980s that was sold only in the USA. The other was the Ford Sierra XR4Ti, as outlined earlier in the thread. Interestingly, it should have been raced as the Mercury Merkur XR4Ti, since that what it was known as in the US, but the FIA allowed a name change to Ford Sierra XR4Ti, since the Merkur was just a rebadged and reengined Sierra anyway. Just the no European market Sierra featured the bodywork of the Sierra XR4i matted with the US Mustang's 2.3 litre turbo engine.