Thread: will ALFA ROMEO go DTM again?

will ALFA ROMEO go DTM again?

Many say that Alfa Romeo would have great succes in DTM if they ever went back. But many racesportsman say why havent they gone back? They Dominated back in the 92,93,back to back. well they have a car, many say the Alfa GT would make a great DTM although it would be the only Foriegn car in the seires with only a V6 but thats no matter since they had a V6 back in the 90s. And with this GTA AM version engine which can be tweaked to deliver 500 to 620hp well thats more than enough hp for the DTM. Many DTM fans say it would be pretty cool to them back in there raceing against the big V8 Opels,Mercedes, Audi, ect. I think Alfa Would do a great job with the GT but a 4WD version, and who knows maybe they'll bring back the Montreal V8 and Sup it up with all the new techonolgy of today to compete in the races. Well thats all of our Alfist dreams only time would tell. Some of my Italian friends that were in Italy last mouth say alot of roumor of Alfa competing in many race seires is going around over there. But the way I look at it Until I dont see I dont Beleive.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaRomeo2598
    Many say that Alfa Romeo would have great succes in DTM if they ever went back. But many racesportsman say why havent they gone back? They Dominated back in the 92,93,back to back. well they have a car, many say the Alfa GT would make a great DTM although it would be the only Foriegn car in the seires with only a V6 but thats no matter since they had a V6 back in the 90s. And with this GTA AM version engine which can be tweaked to deliver 500 to 620hp well thats more than enough hp for the DTM. Many DTM fans say it would be pretty cool to them back in there raceing against the big V8 Opels,Mercedes, Audi, ect. I think Alfa Would do a great job with the GT but a 4WD version, and who knows maybe they'll bring back the Montreal V8 and Sup it up with all the new techonolgy of today to compete in the races. Well thats all of our Alfist dreams only time would tell. Some of my Italian friends that were in Italy last mouth say alot of roumor of Alfa competing in many race seires is going around over there. But the way I look at it Until I dont see I dont Beleive.

You really should get some punctuation in there. Its too hard to decipher that pile of words.

You seem to have missed a vital detail in that the DTM series has quite stringent rules regarding the cars.

Namely:
    It must be a 4 door saloon - the GT isn't

It must have a V8 engine with maximum capacity of 4.0-litres and four valves per cylinder (Audi, Mercedes and Opel use engines built specifically for the series) - the V6 wouldn't be allowed.

Output is limited, by way of 28mm restrictors, to less than 500bhp. Current cars are producing about 460-470bhp

Four wheel drive is out of the question - rear wheel drive only.

Also the idea of "Sup it up with all the new techonolgy of today" won't stick since the cars are very restricted in their use of electronics.

The DTM is quite a "back-to-basics" formula, unlike the the late '90s when the cars were essentially F1 cars with a body, and less restriction in the use of electronic aids etc.
    Thanks for all the fish

Modern DTM cars really share very little with their road car siblings. They are essentially "silhouette" racers, meaning they are required to resemble the road car externally but under the skin are entirely different. In this respect it is a lot different to other touring car series like BTCC and WTCC (where Alfa is highly experienced and very succesfull) which use the basic road car chassis and bodyshell and then modify it. The DTM cars use state of the art carbon fibre/aluminium honeycomb chassis tubs with aluminium sub frames. The engines are mounted way back in the chassis to effectively make it a mid-engined car, and if you look closely you'll see the driver sitting virtually in the back seat so as to aid perfect weight balance. I'm not entirely sure of the specific regulations but IIRC the DTM racers have to use the same doors, roofline and lights as the road cars, but that's where the similarities end. To all intents and purposes they are custom built racecars.

Yes I agree it would be nice to see Alfa back in DTM but it is a fairly big risk when they've already got a lot of interest in the WTCC. Best to focus their efforts there, where they look capable of challenging BMW for the title. DTM at the moment is a complete Mercedes/Audi shut out. Opel are trying their best but are getting comprehensibly and embarrasingly whupped, and it would be damaging for Alfa's image if that were to happen to them. Alfa should definitely stick to what they're doing at the mo IMHO.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Rumours of Alfa Romeo returning to the DTM continue to circulate. IF they were to do so, it would most likely be with the new 159 saloon, a specially prepared 4.0 litre V8 and running a RWD setup, not the AWD or FWD of the standard car.
    It would certainly be good to see a third manufacturer step into the DTM. I'd imagine the organisers would prefer the third major German manufacturer, BMW, to join the DTM - but that seems unlikely.
    It is much more likely that Alfa and BMW will stick to the WTCC - where they will both have new cars next year (new 159 and 3-series).
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    You really should get some punctuation in there. Its too hard to decipher that pile of words.

You seem to have missed a vital detail in that the DTM series has quite stringent rules regarding the cars.

Namely:
    It must be a 4 door saloon - the GT isn't

It must have a V8 engine with maximum capacity of 4.0-litres and four valves per cylinder (Audi, Mercedes and Opel use engines built specifically for the series) - the V6 wouldn't be allowed.

Output is limited, by way of 28mm restrictors, to less than 500bhp. Current cars are producing about 460-470bhp

Four wheel drive is out of the question - rear wheel drive only.

Also the idea of "Sup it up with all the new techonolgy of today" won't stick since the cars are very restricted in their use of electronics.

The DTM is quite a "back-to-basics" formula, unlike the the late '90s when the cars were essentially F1 cars with a body, and less restriction in the use of electronic aids etc.

Well all I can say is DTM has changed alot since those times I havent been able to keep up with it since all they braodcast is NASCAR in the USA all day long NASCAR, about the GT I mentioned I made a mistake I ment GTA, any ways If Alfa ever brought back thier own V8 I think they'll do pretty good.

Thread Information