Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: `Struggling Adventra V8 gets the AXE`

You've probably heard of the fuel tank issue
    http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/ar...arSales:Holden

I didn't know about their frames bending. Is it the frame rails itself that distort, or the cabin's rear wall where the rails attach?

Missing case of the 10L's

I think its been the vertical supports bending the rear of the cabin.
    I am the Stig

Well that's a bit crappy isn't it? Holden brings back their legendary One Tonner, only to have the new one bend like a banana when the going gets tough

I remember the old EH utes used to split just aft of the cab, quite a few died that way. No such dramas with Falcons though

Well i found this all on another forum (yes a ford forum) when someone was mentioning their opinion over Holden doing alot of things half arsed lately. The general consensus seemed to be even though Fords ute was only bolted horizontally, it was engineered to cop alot more than it should take, leading to Falcon utes weighing more than the sedans, and Holdens 2 way support frame supposedly only increases road noise. I'd probably believe it better from a Holden engineer ( which ive done before) than a bunch of Holden haters, but there seemed to be alot of talk about it.

I know with my dads one tonner the only thing suffering is the trim. Its mechnically still working and everything, just had a dodgy alloy tray from the factory
    I am the Stig

I'd guess your Dad's truck is an old-gen Wun Tun, they were indeed a fantastic unit. Back then even the HQ-Z ute had a full chassis

On the new-gen it kinda makes you wonder how much leverage is exerted on the cab wall by the L-bracket attachment method

nah its a 2000 AU2 with abot 130K kms. about 10 years ago he wanted an original, but when he couldnt find one he liked for sale and didnt have the time to piece one together, he gave up.

we've had it up on a hoist though and ive taken the time to have a look around and the rear frame rails seem to integrate themselves into the monocoque rails going to the engine. cant say ive done the same for the new commodore ones though
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Well i found this all on another forum (yes a ford forum) when someone was mentioning their opinion over Holden doing alot of things half arsed lately. The general consensus seemed to be even though Fords ute was only bolted horizontally, it was engineered to cop alot more than it should take, leading to Falcon utes weighing more than the sedans, and Holdens 2 way support frame supposedly only increases road noise. I'd probably believe it better from a Holden engineer ( which ive done before) than a bunch of Holden haters, but there seemed to be alot of talk about it.

I know with my dads one tonner the only thing suffering is the trim. Its mechnically still working and everything, just had a dodgy alloy tray from the factory
    It is maybe why it's got the flick they can't afford t keep up with the problems in the end they might pay as much back to fix it as it cost to make it.
    My car runs out of fuel before it hits the red
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Yeah that seemed to be the case, it had a major engineering flaw so they stopped production whilst they could make an excuse.
    I am the Stig

And now GM is hot on things that make money and not cost money, So they would never see a busines case for them keeping it going when it's always back for a fix up.

Holden's business case for One Tonner looks pretty bad as-is

Holden says it spent $55 million over three years, with more than 275,000 staff hours, 250 computer simulations and 350,000 durability and test kilometres during the new model's development, to build the Commodore One Tonner

In total, the Holden factory built 4482 One Tonners in the model's 30-month life. Figures from Holden show that 3902 were V6 and 580 were V8. It also built 524 V6 auto-only all-wheel-drive versions [released April 2005].

The Commodore One Tonner's 2005 sales tally looks grim compared with the Rodeo's record: 24,000 sales last year.
    All that effort and $$ and they still got it rong

I thought One Ton was more popular than this, they're not uncommon where I live. Btw those super-low sales of the AWD version mean that Cross 6's are very rare units indeed, especially given the substantial engineering mods. Holden must have lost a packet
    Last edited by nota; 01-23-2006 at 08:34 AM.

I thought they were selling great also, Even though i have never seen one on the roads

Ford are still selling about 2000 utes combined per month (albeit a good month) and Holden seemed to match that, perhaps the balance between ute and one tonner is all it is.

Supposedly Holden will stop making all their AWD models half way through the year as well
    I am the Stig

Now that is one i see plenty of, I have seen some cross 8 and 6 going around, Infact i do see lots of crewman and more the SS then executives.

Thread Information