Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 Ferraris of all time.....GO!

I don't think the MC12 was that successful at being a halo car either. Production was very limited and it wasn't one of those desirable cars à la 8C if you ask me. Even it's main aim, to win races and championships, was only moderately successful. If I'm not mistaken it only won some races and the FIA GT Championship, which nobody knows about or follows for that matter. The car was refused at Le Mans, arguably the only really important endurance race in terms of marketing, and it could only run at the ALMS series after having undergone a lot of modifications and IIRC the works team never even bothered to take part on a full season.

I personally think that Maserati's turn around from the dark Biturbo days has been based mainly on two fronts, product and the Ferrari association. On the first, well current Maseratis are a far cry from Maseratis of old. They are of much higher quality, and with better performance. De Tomaso did a lot of harm in the 80's and 90's by downgrading tha badge to mere badly built, average performing sports saloons and coupes. It's been amazing, and frankly I can't remember of any other example, that somewhat Maserati has managed to recover from the downmarket process it was undergoing and somehow go upmarket again, to where it belong. And of course this wouldn't have been possible without Ferrari's help (which is a bit ironic when you consider they were two of the biggest rivals), not only technically but as you on the logistic and dealers aspects.

All in all I'd say the MC12 is small, if it helped at all, part of Maserati's amazing recovery. As you say it's not over yet, but Maserati is becoming something very desirable and with some amazing automobiles.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I don't think the MC12 was that successful at being a halo car either. Production was very limited and it wasn't one of those desirable cars à la 8C if you ask me. Even it's main aim, to win races and championships, was only moderately successful. If I'm not mistaken it only won some races and the FIA GT Championship, which nobody knows about or follows for that matter. The car was refused at Le Mans, arguably the only really important endurance race in terms of marketing, and it could only run at the ALMS series after having undergone a lot of modifications and IIRC the works team never even bothered to take part on a full season.

I personally think that Maserati's turn around from the dark Biturbo days has been based mainly on two fronts, product and the Ferrari association. On the first, well current Maseratis are a far cry from Maseratis of old. They are of much higher quality, and with better performance. De Tomaso did a lot of harm in the 80's and 90's by downgrading tha badge to mere badly built, average performing sports saloons and coupes. It's been amazing, and frankly I can't remember of any other example, that somewhat Maserati has managed to recover from the downmarket process it was undergoing and somehow go upmarket again, to where it belong. And of course this wouldn't have been possible without Ferrari's help (which is a bit ironic when you consider they were two of the biggest rivals), not only technically but as you on the logistic and dealers aspects.

All in all I'd say the MC12 is small, if it helped at all, part of Maserati's amazing recovery. As you say it's not over yet, but Maserati is becoming something very desirable and with some amazing automobiles.
    Surely the MC12 isn't an halo car.
    But mostly in Europe its wins in the GT championship means quite some covering, ads, and eventually sales.
    At Maserati the car has a high value, it really drawn a line between the old and the new. Basically it's an halo car for the company itself, the workers, the dealers rather than for us (you).

I'm not sure if they really meant to race it at LeMans since one problem is quite obvious since the beginning: it's too wide. On the other hand even in GT1 it had to face various restriction every year since it was a bit "too much" for the rest of the competitors. Still Maserati won all the team and constructors championships from 2005 onward and all the drivers titles from 2006 onwards.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Hadn't seen that:
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    That's probably the same reason why Bentley's sales (heavily relying on douchbagginess) are so poor now. my 2 cents.
    I think the problem are their owners...
    Visca Catalunya!

Hadn't seen that:

I think the problem are their owners...
    that was the point.
    it's the kind of person who lives beyond his possibilities, therefore the first to feel the economic climate.

that was the point.
    it's the kind of person who lives beyond his possibilities, therefore the first to feel the economic climate.
    No, I actually meant Volkswagen...
    Visca Catalunya!

No, I actually meant Volkswagen...
    I could still stand with my argument

see also silly Porsche takeover and 9 Billions € of debt

I'm sure they've been said a million times already, but here goes.

F40 - Everyone loves this Ferrari, plus it was born the same year as me
    F50 - I haven't seen many more beautiful super exclusive cars than this one
    360 Challenge - its the one I'd have in my garage if I could realistically have a Ferrari
    288 GTO - its just plain badass
    550 Maranello - thanks to the original need for speed hot pursuit, this car has a special place in my heart.

The car in the second pic is a 512 TR, not a Testarossa, ().
    I think that is a Testarossa. The 512TR had a differently shaped grill and a prancing horse on the grill like the photo below. Plus the trim underneath is body-colored on the 512TR, and is black on the Testarossa like in Car_Nut's photo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by switters78; 05-16-2009 at 06:44 AM.
    Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain one as an adult.

wow..u guys had some great picks.. thanks for sharing! and keep them coming...
    "Achieve Rezolution."
    Subscribe for your free e-zine at Rezmoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by switters78 View Post
    I think that is a Testarossa. The 512TR had a differently shaped grill and a prancing horse on the grill like the photo below. Plus the trim underneath is body-colored on the 512TR, and is black on the Testarossa like in Car_Nut's photo
    the first you posted is surely a 512 TR, while the second, the same as he posted, is clearly a slightly modified Testarossa.

Ferrari Challenge TV Show will debut this Saturday 5/23 at 1am edt on SpeedTV. 15 show series will air on SpeedTV slotted around various Formula 1 telecasts on Speed.

the first you posted is surely a 512 TR, while the second, the same as he posted, is clearly a slightly modified Testarossa.

yes

and just for kicks...the 512 M

I think I easily could've made a top 10 instead of a top 5...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think its somewhat subjective the answer to this question.. You need to define a timeframe in which to pick your favorite, then go from there. I mean I love some of the older Ferrari's much more than I do the new ones, but at the same time, I would buy a new one before I bought an old one.. so its a tough call
    Achieve Rezolution...
    www.Rezmoto.com
    "The Leading E-Magazine For The Modified Euro-Auto Community"

Quote Originally Posted by BLK MAGIC View Post
    I think its somewhat subjective the answer to this question.. You need to define a timeframe in which to pick your favorite, then go from there. I mean I love some of the older Ferrari's much more than I do the new ones, but at the same time, I would buy a new one before I bought an old one.. so its a tough call
    I think if price were no object, a 250 GTO would be my first choice of any car out there, and there's nothing like driving a classic car, especially a Ferrari. The classics give you something that can't be replicated with any modern cars. The designs are beautiful, the smells are wonderful, the sounds of a carbureted 12-cylinder engine are to die for, and the performance is impressive even by today's standards. But, the new ones are amazing and the driving experience is exhilarating in a completely different way. From a price perspective, some of the newer ones are a bit more affordable too. I've been seeing 328s, 308s and Mondials in the $20k-$30k range lately, as well as F355s as low as $40k-$50k and some of the 360s are dropping below $100k too. Even a $300k 599 GTB is more affordable than the millions you'll pay for some of the classics.

Quote Originally Posted by switters78 View Post
    I think if price were no object, a 250 GTO would be my first choice of any car out there, and there's nothing like driving a classic car, especially a Ferrari. The classics give you something that can't be replicated with any modern cars. The designs are beautiful, the smells are wonderful, the sounds of a carbureted 12-cylinder engine are to die for, and the performance is impressive even by today's standards. But, the new ones are amazing and the driving experience is exhilarating in a completely different way. From a price perspective, some of the newer ones are a bit more affordable too. I've been seeing 328s, 308s and Mondials in the $20k-$30k range lately, as well as F355s as low as $40k-$50k and some of the 360s are dropping below $100k too. Even a $300k 599 GTB is more affordable than the millions you'll pay for some of the classics.
    And yet you can have a 250 GTE or a 330 GT 2+2 for around 60.000€.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information