Page 61 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: The State of The Car

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    Which part of it? It's shorter than a 911 GT3, and less than 3cm wider. About the same as the F-type too.
    Those are too wide too. These days you feel much more at home in those roads in a GT86, MX-5 or similar.

That is one of the problems of the Mustang, a V8 for forty grand is tempting, but I don't it would even fit in my parking space...

I'd get a base Corvette, which in Europe (if you can get it at all that is) comes as standard with the Z51.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Those are too wide too. These days you feel much more at home in those roads in a GT86, MX-5 or similar.

That is one of the problems of the Mustang, a V8 for forty grand is tempting, but I don't it would even fit in my parking space...

I'd get a base Corvette, which in Europe (if you can get it at all that is) comes as standard with the Z51.
    Fair enough -- it's a valid point. I'm simply excited because of a new, manual track day car with good brakes and a warranty. Evidently it's very close to the old C6 ZR1's pace on the GM test track, and that's with almost 200 less hp. Mountain roads set aside, that's a positive thing for any car enthusiast.

And I also just now realized that I have never bought a new car. Forty for a base GT is crazy to me.
    Turning money into memories.

JEREMY CLARKSON: Are 70% of Brit drivers mad to drive manuals?

Is he right?

Discuss.

(PS. Rasmus, of course, moar performance cars for sale can't never be bad... )
    Visca Catalunya!

I don't think he's wrong -- and I still think he's annoying in general.

If I can get a newer auto in a daily driver, I'll take that. And I'll be happy. If it's an older auto, I'll still take it, but I'll be cussing those times it goes off the deep end.

Any other street car I'll take a manual in. All the fun street cars in the garage are manuals. However, any track car I'll take a flappy paddle in, unless we're talking drag racing, in which case I love the challenge of a manual.

I'll never love an auto, but I don't like being bothered by a manual when I'm cruising through traffic to the office. It won't be an issue in 10 years when we'll all be driving humming little eco EV boxes.
    Turning money into memories.

Having commuted through Sydney traffic in manual cars, I'm fine with continuing to commute in manual cars. Turns out people should drive what they want to. Who knew? Apparently not Clarkson, because he's an old git.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Being European I always had driven manuals and my experience with automatics was limited at best.

All of this changed when a family member bought an Audi A6 3.2 FSI Quattro Tiptronic in 2005. It was the first automatic car owned by the family.

Later the Audi was replaced by a Jaguar XF 4.2, also an automatic, but we still kept a majority of cars with manual gearboxes during this period (Mini Cooper S, Lancia Delta T-Jet, Hyunda i30 1.4 or the Mazda MX-5). We also bought another automatic, the Mercedes-Benz A220 CDI.

When the time came to change my car I switched from a sportscar to a bigger, more comfortable hatchback. I wasn't looking for an automatic, but there was an incredible offer on a 175bhp diesel Alfa Romeo Giulietta which was only available with a dual clutch gearbox. I just had to take it.

Since then I've hated every day I chose the automatic over a similarly engined manual Giulietta, but I have to say, with time, I can kind of get what Clarkson is on about.

I still think the gearbox in my car is rubbish, and I still enjoy manual gearboxes like anyone else here; but I have the same number of gears as a manual car, the gearbox is smooth changing and, most of all, there's the utter comfort of putting it in D and forgetting about it (which admittedly for the 90% of the time when you are not in your favourite road is great).

I was adamant that my next car would be manual, now I'm not so sure. If it isn't though I have to make sure I choose a good automatic.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Since then I've hated every day I chose the automatic over a similarly engined manual Giulietta, but I have to say, with time, I can kind of get what Clarkson is on about.
    I went for a manual and honestly, sometimes I do have regrets about my decision.

In reality, most of my driving is in the city anyway. Also, Giulietta has somewhat cramped pedal area and under certain circumstances, it can be difficult to drive it smoothly. All my family members drive automatics these days, I am the only one with "sporty" exotic. Even my dealer says that manual Giulietta is a rarity.

Then again - coordinating one well executed gear shift with my OWN hands and feet can be deeply satisfying. Sometimes it does happen - and when it does, everything is well again.

Maybe I'm an enthusiast after all.

I'm on the opposite side; most of my driving is outside of the city. But still the automatic can make sense.

It never fails a gear change and if you need full power you just floor it and call it a day.

However I still miss the full manual control and satisfaction you describe, Revo.
    Visca Catalunya!

Visca Catalunya!

They wanted to screw over the people who bought the 997 911 4.0 of course.

I posted it on the other 911 R thread.

If Magnus Walker is selling $300,000 20 year old Porsches, Porsche will be ok with be selling GT3s with the PDK or manual.

I always figured this would happen, after the reaction to the mandatory flappies on the GT3. I think I'd still want a GT4 though.

Someone's made a synth EP based on VW's recent dramas. It's pretty great.

For anyone commuting or driving all day an auto is the obvious choice. Ive tried both in my rep days and as much fun as the 350 V8 with manual was, it could get a bit tiring driving all day. I have a V8 100 Landcruiser and that is auto. I have to say that I would never get another manual 4x4 simply because of how autos handle driving on sand where I do most of my off roading.
    However my automotive indulgence is my CV8 Monaro which is manual. I had an auto but to really appreciate a RWD V8 I have to say manual is the way to go. So its horses for courses really.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Holy smokes welcome back crisis. Good to see you around. I tend to agree. I'd like to be in a position to have two cars after I graduate (if I don't live in the core); a commuter, and a fun summer/weekend car. The commuter will likely be an off lease auto Mazda 3; maybe a GTI one day. Practical and fun. The other? Who knows. Maybe a 164!

Why go for a 164? Wouldn't it be better to have a 75?

And yes, two cars would be perfect, but here it is expensive and in many cases not really feasible.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information