Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Possibly the coolest thing for me

cmcpokey, If I were you, I'd buy that Maserati. Its really nice. It may be risky, but as the old saying goes, those who take risks are usually successful. However, I'd recommend going to a Maserati forum or getting in touch with owners to get an idea about the running costs. Don't forget to explicitly check the history of the car for any potential problems (not thats it's very likely on a car like this ) and when you schedule a test drive, keep your senses on alert for anything that hints car trouble.

For servicing the car, the basics I'd recommend you look up some articles and do the basics yourself (changing brake pads and so on. It'll save you alot of money.) If you can do the basic repairs/services yourself, you'll have a slim chance of any financial burden. Save the really complex things for the dealer or try to find service centers that specialize in these types of cars.

What are you waiting for, get that Maser before "the boss" changes her mind. This is your one chance to own a car most people can only dream of owning. Don't regret yourself for missing out on a once-in-a-lifetime chance.

If you do get the car, please share pics!
    I am the Stig

Ferrari Constructors Champions 2007

If I may...

Maseratis are overrated. Sure the Quattroporte is a beautiful car, but I've always felt that the Coupe was kind of awkward looking, and it's certainly quick, but by no means scorchingly fast.

I think there are better options cosmetically, economically and performance-wise.

Some that come to mind for about the same price:
    -97-98 Porsche 993
    -99-01 Porsche 996
    -2004 Audi S4
    -2004 VW R32
    -2007 Ford Mustang GT
    -2006 Chevrolet Corvette? (not sure if that's the first year of C6)

Of course, it's all a matter of personal opinion, and you should go with your gut, not what a bunch of guys on a car forum tell you.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

honestly, i wouldnt take the gamble of the money.

most british cars need extreme or good mechanics work. Nothing wrong with british cars, just that you need to have someone who knows what their doing, not some run of the mill mechanic.

so if it were me, i wouldnt try. too much trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    Well seeing as everyone else is being all keen and ultra-supportive, I thought I'd be a misery guts and try and argue the other side of the case.

Firstly, pushing your budget to the absolute limit on ANY used car purchase opens the road to potential heartache if something goes "bang" inside. It's arguable that pushing your budget to the limit on a used Maserati is the road to guaranteed heartache! You should always be leaving yourself at least a couple thousand $'s breathing space on your budget IMO, for peace of mind if nothing else.

Secondly, I'm guessing that insurance, running costs and servicing and maintenance will be pretty jaw-slackeningly expensive. I imagine that just general routine servicing costs at a Maserati dealer will be WAAAAY more than you would expect for your average car, and being an Italian thoroughbread the servicing intervals are likely to be more regular than any 'normal' car. Maserati's aren't exactly reknowned for reliability, and if/when something does go wrong the cost of repairs will most likely be fairly eye-watering. Best bet would be to check a US based Maserati forum and find out what the average servicing and maintenance costs are.

Thirdly, although the Maserati Coupe (or any Maserati for that matter) is certainly a 'cool' car, and good looking, from what I've read it isn't actually that good. With the earlier models like the one you're looking at the 'Skyhook' damping system left a lot to be desired in terms of body control. Fairly smooth riding, but tons of body roll and pretty unpredictable/scary when driven near the limit. Also the early Cambiocorsa gear shifts were notoriously hopeless, something they didn't really fix until the Quattroporte and Gransport models a few years later. It does have a sensational engine by all accounts, and is pretty darned quick in a straight line, but I wonder if it's actually any more fun in the twisties than your Mini?

With my 'voice of reason' hat on I'd wonder if maybe something like a BMW M3 Coupe isn't a more sensible option. You could probably get a decent example for a few grand less than the Maser, it'll be more reliable, and is without doubt a MUCH 'better' car. Might not have the 'coolness' or beauty of the Maser but it'll be a damn sight more fun to drive, and even more practical I imagine.

Or if you're determined to blow your hard-earned on something exotic and eye-catching, I'm sure you could find an early-ish Porsche 996 Carrera 2 for something around your budget. Not exactly cheap, but certainly cheaper to run and maintain than a Maserati, and also a much 'better' all round car from behind the wheel, which is where it really counts.
    Shut up...

No he is actually right, but see it this way. Maserati > (almost) all.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

In my opinion:

Unless you're a diehard Maserati fan that would sell the shirt on his back to keep the car on the road (it will literally break your bank), or a person that's swimming in money and wouldn't blink at spending a small fortune a year to maintain the thing, this probably isn't something you want to consider. The maserati is comparable to a playboy bunny; great to be seen with, but extremely high maintenance for what you get. When it comes down to it, I don't even think they're that special to drive. I don't recall ever reading or hearing anyone talk about how great of a driver's car a maserati is. You're currently a mini owner, so I trust that you do appreciate a good handling car. I'd say get a 993 Carrera 4S or an Elise. I don't want to shoot down your dream here, but I'm just speaking with the common sense that I'd use if I were in your shoes. Ask yourself a simple question. Do you appreciate this car more than the dollars that you're going to be spending on it, or do you appreciate your hard earned money too much to just see it drain into a vehicle, just to have the privilege of owning a true "exotic." It all depends what matters more to you and what you're willing to sacrifice.

Personal example:

A close family friend of ours was once in the market for this exact model; but decided against it after he learned of the disgusting maintenance costs. For the record, he's a very well off guy. For him, his money was too precious.

So...

There are a lot of good cars out there that are in your price range. Spend some time looking and researching before you let the maser's beauty tempt you into making a quick decision that you may regret. People don't get rid of these kinds of vehicles at such low mileage for nothing. They aren't meant to have a lot of miles put on them, because it doesn't take much for things to start going wrong on these vehicles. Its unfortunate, but beauty and exclusivity like this come at a hefty price.

Hopefully this helps in your decision making. Whatever happens, I hope you'll end up happy.

Extremely unfamiliar with Maseratis, or cars of that ilk. But in regard to the subject of service costs, if the oil filter is similarly placed to the old Biturbo (horizontally on the leading face of one bank) and access is anywhere near as bad they were, then I'd advise you to be sitting down before aquainting yourself with a simple oil change quote eg

A guy I knew who was a local Maser dealer mechanic told me that for a 'minor' book service on Biturbo, to accomplish the oil change first required removal of not just the radiator but the A/C condensor and >IIRC< the intercooler as well, which back in the early '90s meant an AUD$1250 chomp on the wallet - every 5,000km

I can well understand the appeal of those Maser Coupes and they do look great. But in the case of head over heart as regards a larger no-clutch exotic coupe then maybe a prime example of the fast-depreciating yet quite similar Jag XK8(R) might prove every bit as affordable in intial cost, and considerably better value over time?
    ______

Reputedly a peripheral 'issue' with these modern supercars etc is that they are so fast and so competent in what they do, and how they deliver it, thus perhaps not as challenging or indeed entertaining at normal everyday street-drive velocities as was once the case. For mine, if I were after that certain ''thomething thpecial' in my driveway I might be more inclined towards an earlier vintage - maybe even one of those almost practical yet non-depreciating old Italo-Americans or somesuch?
    Last edited by nota; 06-01-2007 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 70cuda88 View Post
    honestly, i wouldnt take the gamble of the money.

most british cars need extreme or good mechanics work. Nothing wrong with british cars, just that you need to have someone who knows what their doing, not some run of the mill mechanic.

so if it were me, i wouldnt try. too much trouble
    ... For the record, Maserati are Italian...

Now, on to your quandry, cmc...

I personally wouldn't touch that car. Firstly, the Cambiocorsa is a crap gearbox, and will never provide the same amount of enjoyment or involvement as a manual.

Secondly, the reliability record of Maseratis is not what you'd call 'stellar'. In fact, they're cantankerous little shits. My old boss had a 3200, and things were forever going wrong with it- but he kept it because he loved it.

On to the positives... it looks beautiful, the engine is seriously minted and the wife does approve.

So, it really depends what you want- if you can afford that little luxury and can justify it, then go right ahead. But only if you have deep pockets for repair!

sweet car, but running it? servicing, fuel, insurance?
    autozine.org

Had the same dilemma with a Miura S. Rather left it, you don't buy a such a car with your bread money, you will regret it.
    Doug

We start any venture with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before we empty the bag of luck.

I must agree with those against.

It's indeed a car that most would love to own. And it surely is something special to own and drive. But I'd rather keep the Mini and buy something (not sure of the price tags over there) like an Elise. Fun, fun, fun, and pretty 'exotic' I think.

I've got somewhere an Evo magazine with an article about the british P1Club (http://www.p1international.com/) and the maintenance of their cars... It's rather overwhelming!

thanks for all the response to this. the issues you are all pointing out are ones that are defnitely in the forefront of my mind.

a car like the elise would be awesome, but in my current state i can not have a 2 seater. and besides the wife already said hell no to the elise.

the other cars that i am comparing are the RX-8, G35, a new new mini, the maser came out of the blue, and im weighing those options heavily. and then again, i could just stay with the mini for a little while more.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

OK...

The RX-8 would be surprisingly practical, but the engine is stupidly peaky and also needs frequent oil checks/top-ups.

The Maserati is an expensive luxury, just need to know whether it'll be too expensive in the long run. N.B.- Have you considered resale value on all cars..?

The G35 would be the best blend of reliability, speed and comfort, but it's lacking that special factor that marks out the Maser.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    With my 'voice of reason' hat on I'd wonder if maybe something like a BMW M3 Coupe isn't a more sensible option. You could probably get a decent example for a few grand less than the Maser, it'll be more reliable, and is without doubt a MUCH 'better' car. Might not have the 'coolness' or beauty of the Maser but it'll be a damn sight more fun to drive, and even more practical I imagine.

Or if you're determined to blow your hard-earned on something exotic and eye-catching, I'm sure you could find an early-ish Porsche 996 Carrera 2 for something around your budget. Not exactly cheap, but certainly cheaper to run and maintain than a Maserati, and also a much 'better' all round car from behind the wheel, which is where it really counts.
    Totally agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    as for the M3, that would be the ideal car for me, but for one major exception. I have a BMW curse. it sounds silly i know, but its true. every BMW i have driven is now totalled, with most of them causing injuries. I will not even ride in a BMW now because I feel it may be the end of my life. and thats not just 1 or 2, its 3 cars and a bike.
    I don't like to tell people to behave rationaly as I'm all for emotions. But 1st, you're driving a FWD BMW, 2nd think of how amazing and user-friendly the M3 or 996 experience might be. I dislike the 996 looks a lot. But yet I'd kill for one. I don't love the looks of a Miata either and they say its drivers are usually hairdresssers. Do I care or would I trade it for anything prettier? Certainly not.
    Or if you and the Mrs. like big coupés, why not a Jaguar XK8? Probably cheaper and more visa-friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    I think there are better options cosmetically, economically and performance-wise.

Some that come to mind for about the same price:
    -97-98 Porsche 993
    -99-01 Porsche 996
    -2004 Audi S4
    -2004 VW R32
    -2007 Ford Mustang GT
    -2006 Chevrolet Corvette? (not sure if that's the first year of C6)
    Honestly, appart from the 996 none of those cars is an alternative to a Maserati.

I certainly wouldn't have the Maser has a everyday car. You can't compromise your economical comfort for a car, and when there are reasonably economical alternatives, why not going for them?
    It's easy to say "you only live once, go for it!" But for those of us who have to pay our own bills, the perspective of buying such a car will always sound risky.
    My suggestion is: find a nice 996 for sale, pick up your boss and go for a test drive. Maybe it will change both minds.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

I'm with McReis on the Jag, actually. That's an awesome car, some say it's far better than the DB7 it's cheaper than... look around for a cheap XKR. They sound intense and go like stink, as well as being more reliable than Maseratis.

I love that car, i'd either buy that or a last generation Jag XK8 or even better XKR, I absolute adore the XKR and i think it's a much, much nicer car than the new one and if you can find a nice one, buy one of them, if not, the Maser is amazing, i love Maseratis and would tell you to get one in a heartbeat if you can't find a really nice XK!
    Last edited by Street_Dreamer; 06-01-2007 at 04:16 AM.

Thread Information