Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
So even the traditional plus point of the straight six is not true?
His statement could have more application in a racing engine.

I PM'd some UCP dudes here and I think (but I don't want to misquote them) they seemed to indicate that the biggest drawback of an I6 design in a road car (say, a BMW) was packaging in the engine bay - kinda like the design issues faced by using flat-X engine a la Porsche and Subaru.

When it comes to engines used in prototype race cars, I think the criteria all change quite drastically - and regulations are a large part of why certain engine configurations are favoured.

I ain't no engineer, but even for me, it seems exceptionally odd that AM went for an I6. AMR-One seems to be a mess right now, and even with more development time I would be surprised if it could compete with the diesels let alone the best gasoline cars.

Off topic, I have been reading a bit about the regs for LMPs on another forum and it really seems to me that the various subclasses has created quite a minefield for potential entrants. As Wouter's article indicated, that new HPD V6 is woefully uncompetitive, and I have heard Hindy complain that older engines have an advantage, and while Honda has adhered to the spirit of the regulations, others have not.