OK, it’s my understanding that all European cars have front and rear fog lights. The rear fog light makes sense to me, though I wish they wouldn’t combine the front and rear fog light switches. State side many people drive around with all their lights on (fogs and all). Until I bought my SAAB I assumed MB and Audi had wiring issues because I would always see one “brake light” stuck on. After I bought my SAAB I discovered these rear fog lights. After driving a Jag I discovered that some Euro brands combine the front and rear fog light switches into one control (pull half out for fronts, all the way for front and rear). Then it made sense. These idiots don’t realize they are driving around with the rear fog light on. After all they don’t really notice it’s on. I had to get out of my SAAB to figure out that the rear fog light was working.

On to the front fog lights. My former Contour SVT (largely the same as the Mondeo ST200) and my ’97 SAAB 900 are the only fog light equipped cars I’ve owned. I’ve never used the fog lights. In fact I’m not even sure under what conditions they are supposed to be used (well fog of course).

My understanding is the fog lights are low on the car and aimed even closer to the front of the car than the low beams. I guess they help you see right in front of the car without causing as much glare/lighting of the fog in front of the car.

Well in US spec cars like my Contour the fogs wouldn’t come on unless the headlights were on. It seems to me that defeats the purpose of the fog lights. When it’s not foggy they just create a bright spot in front of the car that makes it harder for your eyes to pick up dimmer objects farther out. In foggy conditions I still have the headlights causing glare in the fog. With my Ford I just assumed this was because the lights are a fashion accessory. However, I assume my SAAB lights are the same as the Euro car. They seem to do the same thing as the Ford lights.

So how am I supposed to use these things (other than make my car look “cooler”)