Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Rice burners

Thank you Egg Nog
    "No Rice!"-Me
    "All throttle, No bottle!"-my racing team motto
    "I hate the smell of exhaust, thats why i never lose!" My friend dick, right before i whomped him in my fathers cobra!

Originally posted by cobrapower
    And Egg Nog just furthers my point, if American cars are so poorly built and out of date, then why do they do so well against the japanese imports? If it takes technology to make an import race on par with an american car, then why waste the money on upgrading, when you can just as easily get what you want on a car that is still stock. If you want to spend the money on those little cars, then go ahead. I was just wondering what sense of logic was behind putting all that money in to get the same results as an american car.
    Nobody thinks American cars are built poorly.

You don't understand, do you? People don't modify their cars to compete with American cars. People with civics know they won't beat Mustangs, so they go for looks. You're too narrow-minded to understand concept.

People will modify their cars with their own tastes. Sure, they'll want a little speed, to make the car more fun. Not everyone wants to run 10s.

Half of the time, these kids can't afford faster cars, or can't afford bigger engines that waste more gas.

Oh course, if you're upset that a bunch of retards or kids, said something, you can't judge all the people that mod their cars that way.
    Tdot owns you.

Originally posted by Nash
    Nobody thinks American cars are built poorly.

You don't understand, do you? People don't modify their cars to compete with American cars. People with civics know they won't beat Mustangs, so they go for looks. You're too narrow-minded to understand concept
    First of all, I've heard many people say that American cars are built poorly. Mostly, it's a myth because of their "lack of technology"...

Anyway, I'm not so sure that Cobrapower meant what he said the way that some people took it... It seems to me that the complaint is largely against the people who think that they are superior, which goes both ways. Its ignorant to say that Japanese cars are crappy or that American cars are crappy just because of a personal bias. The big problem is when you hear people (however rare it may be) that do actually claim superiority without justification, or say that large displacement engines don't deserve respect because its "easy horsepower" or something like that...

I don't really mind people who own Rice Rockets until I start hearing lies. If someone wants to put a bodykit on their Integra, so be it. But sheer annoyance is the product of people who claim that their new intake system adds 30 horsepower.

A buddy of mine is leasing a brand new SE-R. Sweet car, no complaints there. He coated it in Nismo stickers without doing anything else to it... fine - Not something I see as great, but he liked it, so whatever. Next is what pissed me off - New cold air intake ("at least 20 more hp"), new exhaust system ("I'm throwing down 35 more rear wheel horsepower").

Then I reminded him that it's not RWD

----
    Anyway, Hmmm... I don't know if I just made an argument or agreed with you... whatever, this is fun Good times...

It seems like every time I write a large post everyone stops talking

Yeah. I agree, not everyone likes dumbasses that talk too much shit.

I hear a lot of stupid people with Imports say that Americans car are crappy, but I usually put them down. Same thing when I hear people who drive American cars put down Imports(which is usually more common).

I try to stay away from the "dumb" crowd of people, of both sides. I'm in between everything, I like every make, regardless of it's country. Even though I heard a lot of bullshit, I don't let it bother me.
    Tdot owns you.

Yeah i have been out of the loop due to some tornadoes and damage from the storms we had over the weekend. Personally i never said ALL imports are bad, like i have said before, im a big fan of Lotus, and i even own a volvo. I just was wondering what the logic of spending all that money was, thats all.
    "No Rice!"-Me
    "I hate the smell of exhaust, thats why i never lose!" My friend dick, right before i whomped him in my fathers cobra!

Spending money...

Originally posted by cobrapower
    Yeah i have been out of the loop due to some tornadoes and damage from the storms we had over the weekend. Personally i never said ALL imports are bad, like i have said before, im a big fan of Lotus, and i even own a volvo. I just was wondering what the logic of spending all that money was, thats all.
    Some may go overboard in one persons mind but not anothers. What would it take to give a "street legal" domestic car 800+ hp? There a many "rice burners" doing it. No I don't mean Hondas. Fact is by using forced induction you can make gobs of power and still only 1 trip to the gas station a week. A turbo might lack off the line power but to steal a qoute from a friend, "Turbo lag is a curteous head start."

Why not be a fan of all cars? To me "ricers" are those driving hondas or neons or cavaliers with cheap big spoilers and fart can mufflers. I see more domestic ricers then japanese. Euro tails on a Mustang what a contradiction.
    "Keep the tach in the black"

Re: Spending money...

Originally posted by prsrcokr
    Euro tails on a Mustang what a contradiction.
    Well, Japanese cars are just as un-European as any Mustang Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever even seen "Euro-tails" on a European car!

Anyway, I completely agree with your definition of a Ricer... Huge exhaust, body kit, springs cut, bookshelf wing, etc. Under the hood of a true ricemobile its all stock, or at the very most a cold air intake and headers.

I see lots of modified imports and domestics where I live, but I've only seen one with more than 800hp on the street (A 427 Chevy Nomad hot rod).

Also, when people get 300hp out of a Civic, they get about the same milage as a car with 300hp stock, maybe a little higher. You can still fill up only once a week, but you'll have to drive less often

Just for the record, it tends to be much cheaper to get big power gains out of engines like a Ford 302 (5.0) or a Chevy 350, even without forced induction. The cheap cost is mostly relevent to people in North America; we pay much less for domestic power than someone in Japan or Europe pays for the same thing.

The problem with some Jap car aficionados (or in some cases hot4 magazine reading kids) is their constant claims that a "blown" 4cyl Toy/Nis/Sub can "blow off" V8s. I like a lot of Jap sports cars (front wheel drive excepted) but the Japs do not make large heavy cars like they do in Oz and the US so they can get away with small inducted motors. Try a R20DET or similar Honda motor in a Corvette and see if it will fly. Spend as much on turbos, intercoolers and 3" exhausts as you like. Try it in a large Lexus or Maxima. There are no large Jap cars that have any claim to fame in the performance arena. Traditionally Japs made small cars and thats what they do well. The opposite gos for US and Oz cars.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Are you serious? Look how many supras are used in road races not to mention used as drag cars. If you don't think they are big and heavy, my mk3 supra weighs in around 3800 lbs. That is probably why making around 350 hp doesn't feel like a whole lot. The mk4 is a little more trim at 34-3500 lb. I see your point that the majority of jap cars are small and light but they do make some big heavy cars. In addition the WRX does pretty in WRC. I believe that weighs in around 3500lb. Not as light as you think.
    "Keep the tach in the black"

The thing you gotta keep in mind with the heavier cars is that they have drivetrain to include, granted, compared to the weightof the car it may not be much, but even a few pounds in the racing world are a lot. The WRX has a 4wd to add in, and those are not particularly light by any means. This post is kinda startin to wander, im done....lol.....
    "No Rice!"-Me

Someone who thinks the average modded Civic has $30k to $40k invested in it has been watching too much fast and furious. Stop watching that stuff, it rots your brain.

for every 200lb extra in weight you are adding an extra person. Look at specs with tis in mind. I didnt realise Supras were so heavy. I cant see why the should be other than being packed with all the bells and whistles. They are still a minority. I still maintain that the high output figures and shredding 1/4 mile times that some Jap cars come up with come from highly modified examples.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

i don't see any plymouth hemi cuda being mentioned. come on people what are you al doing. comparing american muscle cars with souped up japanese civics. get a life man. nothing beats the american muscle cars for outright power and their V8s sound glorious especially the hemi cuda and yes next time you see a modded civic tell yourself, open your eyes and look at it properly. it may look good you know depends how you modify it and in SIngapore you see moded civics everywhere and i saw a orange one that day and it was mind you, SCARY! it looked like it was gonna kill you with blistering performance but it was not beautiful, american muscles are different.htye are very very very very beautiful and they perform like nododies buiseness and yes that engine and exaust note(oh shit can't get the V8 burble our of my bloody head and i am not regretting) old VS new eh. very interesting people

fast and furious i have been telling people - its bullshit and i am spot on agreing with you to the fact that it rotts your bloody brain, in fact its so bad it makes it ooze out your ears nose and mouth

Thread Information