Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone know anything about cats?

anyone know anything about cats?

Lets put our political issues aside for a minute i need some help.

Well it was freezing last night and this cat showed up at my front door. It was into the single degrees last night so i brought it in and of course my fiance wants to keep it.

it seems like a pretty decent cat. im a dog guy myself and ive never really liked cats before but this seems like a pretty dog-like cat so im trying to learn a bit about cats before i decide to keep it or not. i dont know much about cats but i do know a lot about raising animals. I have two dogs and they are great and they get along pretty well with the cat.

what kind of special things do cats need? can they be trained? do you have to train them to use a litter box? any other tips would be helpful.

thanks in advance.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Once they get comfortable,they'll only come to you if they need food.
    "'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'

Don't bother with the bed and frilly shit, give it a box w/ some old clothes and some raw meat.

Cleaning the litterbox/vomit/etc. is the only messy part.

But like an old Land Rover, it doesn't require much maintence and handle abuse.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

They basically take care of themselves. Its the juse the males that are assholes, they trully do come to you ONLY when they want food...

He will probably go back to his owners sometime.

In my experience they like their cat food better than anything. Have a sandbox or simply leave open windows. Aside form that, as MadMax said they are pretty much autosuficient.
    Zag when they Zig

No training required on the litter box. If you have infinite patients, sparetime, and treats they can be trained to do about anything, but I must warn you training a pussy is about 50X harder than training a dog. For instance it took me at least 4 hrs to train my cat to "sit" on command, where as my dog was born knowing this command.

Having a cat under your roof will make you at least 20% more of a liberal.

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    it seems like a pretty decent cat. im a dog guy myself and ive never really liked cats before but this seems like a pretty dog-like cat so im trying to learn a bit about cats before i decide to keep it or not. i dont know much about cats but i do know a lot about raising animals. I have two dogs and they are great and they get along pretty well with the cat.

what kind of special things do cats need? can they be trained? do you have to train them to use a litter box? any other tips would be helpful.
    You did a pretty nice thing. Congrats in advance for having a heart.

Well I have always been a dog guy myself, but always fancied a cat. Almost 2 years ago a beautiful white "girl" decided to make that wish come true.

Cats are indeed very self-sufficient once they have food, fresh water and a litter box (a closed one is better to avoid a mess and make sure you keep it clean to avoid problems). They know what to do once you put sand in the box. She/he will immediately use it.

One mistake people usually do with cats: don't give him cow milk. It's to hard for them to digest. If you don't have the proper milk for cats (which you can find at the supermarket) mix the regular milk with water.

It's important to have at home this special, yet cheap, cream that you should give him once in a while, to help him throw out the furr balls that inevitably are formed in their stomach.

To feed a cat (or a dog for that matter) properly, you should use dry food. It's by far the best for their health. Choose a good make. It pays back on vet bills.

That's pretty much it. Cat's don't take much of your time. Just make sure you have some scratching boards around the house to avoid having to buy new sofas/stereos/TV's/beds/chairs etc..

One thing I think it's important to know since you mention a fiance:
    If you're thinking about having kids any time soon (or not that soon, since a cat can live for 20 years), you'll have to be aware of toxoplasm infections.
    Toxoplasm can infect pregant women and cause serious problems on the baby. How can she be infected? There are mainly 2 ways: rarely done meat or... cat excrement. So if your girl gets pregnant (either it is your fault or not ), make sure she has no contact with the litter box or parts of the cat that are most likely to carry the virus (tale, asshole , mouth or feet).

Having a cat is a great experience. When they start to connect with you it's very rewarding. However, as with any animal, you have to be responsible and have some cares. Letting the cat in and out of your house can be a problem for you and your cat or neighbours' cats and family. Keep him inside. He/she won't mind.

Good luck and enjoy your new friend.

Mimi says hello!

Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

leave your bedroom door cracked at night so you dont have to get up when it wants to sleep with you, theyll push it open

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney921 View Post
    you dont have to get up when it wants to sleep with you, theyll push it open
    ...haha
    I don't think you meant the second meaning.

Best cat is steamed.

With cats you got to learn they might come between you and better half, They will scratch things maybe claw your legs, And look at you with a hypnotic look. Avoid eye contact at all time..
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo.Jenkens View Post
    Having a cat under your roof will make you at least 20% more of a liberal.
    NEVER!!!!

Well thanks for your help so far guys i got her a litter box and she took her first poop...after she pissed all over me and my truck of course

But anyway, so far so good and I'm definately planning on keeping her. but keep bringing the tips and stuff.

mcries...thanks for your advice, i heard about that deal with the cat feces, i guess we'll just have to cross that bridge when we get to it.

now here comes the hard part. anyone got any ideas for names? im pretty happy calling her kitty but the misses wants a real name.

here are some pics and thanks again

roosterjuicer

you can view them all on there. i dontk now how to post pics but if someone wants to do it for me on here feel free.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

The only real experience with cats was at one of my "bad" friends' place. Once they had another nest and couldn't keep the 8 kittens. We killed them before dumping them in the sea. If you ever need advice, it's very easy. The neck snaps easily.

Caption competition, anybody?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    The only real experience with cats was at one of my "bad" friends' place. Once they had another nest and couldn't keep the 8 kittens. We killed them before dumping them in the sea. If you ever need advice, it's very easy. The neck snaps easily.
    You are the ultimate asshole. A piece of human garbage.
    And the worst part is that you need to constantly remind us of that.
    Shut up if you don't have anything less stupid than usual to say.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

You need to take pictures of it doing silly things, and add humorous captions.

Example:
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Thread Information